5000+km Return Roadtrip - Your thoughts?

Submitted: Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 18:59
ThreadID: 96773 Views:2542 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy All,

As the title suggests, the Mrs & I are planning a wee road trip come October to catch up with some family & friends, have a break and see some of this great country of ours.

Planning on leaving Melbourne up the Calder Hwy to Mildura, stay a night there and continue on to Broken hill the following day.
After around 3 days in the Hill & surrounds, we head across to Tottenham via the Barrier Hwy to see a friend then continue on to Parkes (yes, to see the dish lol) where we'll set up camp for the night.
Next day it's off to Mudgee via Renshaw McGirr Way/Goolma Rd to see where my better half was born; probably camp the night here.
Next is on to Lightning Ridge via Castlereagh Hwy to spend 3-4 days taking it all in before leaving for Narrabri to see the telescope array and spending the night.
Then it's jumping up through Moree, Goondiwindi, up through Inglewood, Warrick and through to Clothiers Creek where we have rellies.
After a couple of days there we begin our trip home via the coast probably spending the night somewhere like Port Macquarie/Newcastle etc before cutting back inland through the Blue Mountains to Bathurst (never been there) and on to Boorowa to see friends. Then if we have time we'll jump down to Canberra to spend a few days with more rellies.
From there it's across to Nowra for a few more days rest to catch up with friends/family before heading back to Melbourne via Princess Hwy.

Now, having never been on a trip like this before I am after some advice/comments/thoughts from you guys and girls as to things we should/shouldn't do at these places; places we might like to stay/camp (taking the camper trailer) or things we should see and do whilst there ... basically anything you guys have experienced on a similar trip/route?

We are taking our pooch, but are open to putting him in a boarding kennel for a day here & there if need be.

So, whaddayarekon?

Jason
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 19:14

Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 19:14
Jason,

I just did a 3000km trip in 9 days with 1 day of not driving and another day of driving less than 100km so to do 5000+km in the timeframe you are looking at shouldn't be too bad.

Just don't try and rush, as there will always be another time to see all the places you want. We are already planning our next trip out to the same region so that we can see the other areas we missed on the last trip :)

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 490502

Reply By: Bigfish - Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 19:51

Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 19:51
Personally I think the most important thing to do is ensure your vehicle and trailer are thoroughly checked out and ready for the trip. Great peace of mind.
Next would be to only take what is really necessary. Extra weight gobbles juice and doesn,t help towing.
As some one else said...don,t rush. Enjoy what your seeing, not rushing to see something else. Plenty of pictures for the memories and pack a sense of humour.
Drive safely and take care. You sound like you have it well planned out BUT don,yt get too upset if someone chucks a spanner in the works!! Ggod to see your taking the smallest member of the family too!

Enjoy and have a safe one.
AnswerID: 490509

Follow Up By: JBird - Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 20:03

Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 20:03
Cheers guys.

I should mention that we have allocated 5 weeks for the trip (long service) so we have the time to take in the sights and not rush. We are also liberal on the stays: instead of 1 night, we might stay 2 and only 1 at another place etc.

Spot on Bigfish, vehicle & trailer will be serviced prior to trip to alleviate concerns, though that isn't to say something still won't go wrong.
I normally stress quite a bit, but I have vowed to just relax on this trip and try to see the positives no matter what happens ;)
FollowupID: 765863

Reply By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 20:08

Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 20:08
On your way to Bathurst, suggest you go from Port Macquarie , Nabiac [good motorcycle museum there] to Gloucester and along the Scone road [good gravel] some nice camping spots along the way and different fro the expressway and through Sydney.
AnswerID: 490511

Follow Up By: JBird - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 17:34

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 17:34
Thanks for the suggestion Pete. We have friends in Richmond that we might pop in and see, so was just going to head down through Berowa and around that way.

Was just looking on Google maps, and guess we could cut in to Gloucester as you suggested and down Bucketts Way towards Singleton then down Putty Rd through Wollemi National Park into Richmond.
Have you ever been down through there; if so is it a good run?
FollowupID: 765925

Follow Up By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 18:30

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 18:30
Putty road is a good drive bit winding, there is a free camp at "The Grey Gum" with hot showers [fee] good cafe [coffee] plenty of room.
At Richmond there is a free camp at "Wander Rest" in the parking lot of "The Richmond Club" Hot showers, toilets and Dump Point. You have to become a member of the club [$4.00] for 12 months can camp every month for 3-4 days. Right in the middle of the town, with out look over the Lowlands to the mountains.

Peter
FollowupID: 765936

Follow Up By: JBird - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 21:28

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 21:28
Thanks for the info Peter, will check it out ;)
FollowupID: 765960

Reply By: Member - blackbird1937 - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 00:24

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 00:24
Hi , If you have not been to Silverton I suggest go out and have a look at the old mining town , have a drink and look at the pub also area where they filmed some of Mad Max . Between the Hill and Wilcannia is Little Topar hotel that was a subsitute for the Ti Tree hotel NT in the film made about the murder that happened near there a few years ago . [ cannot think of the victim or his girlfriends name ] When you get to Tottenham go out to centre of NSW monument made out of slag from the copper mines that were in the area years ago . On the way to Parkes drop into the Rabbit Trap hotel at Albert . Shower and camp for a donation there . I camped and had a great counter tea there while going to Tottenham to see a relation on a roundabout trip to Tamworth for the 40th C & W . There is plenty of good and diverse scenery that you will see on your trip . If you do not have a Camps Australia 6 it would be worthwhile getting one for free camps etc . Also get on google to see what is worthwhile looking at in the areas you are going . You and the Missus have a great trip on your long service leave . Vern
AnswerID: 490527

Follow Up By: JBird - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 17:42

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 17:42
Hi Blackbird,

Yep, have Silverton on the radar for sure; huge Mad Max fan here :D

Thanks for the info on what to look at in those areas and where to stay; will definitely keep note of it. Have the Camps 6 book and also have it in the Hema, so got that covered, wouldn't leave home without it.

That murder you're talking about wasn't Peter Falconio and Joanne Lees was it?
FollowupID: 765928

Reply By: myaussieadventure - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 08:11

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 08:11
Make ur first stop in each town the information centre. Grab some brochures then ask them what to see. That way you'll get to the the best things first :)

I can't reccommend Australia wide camps 6 enough. Especially having a dog. With a dog, you'll just need to know where ur staying each night. Don't want to arrive late to find a place doesn't alow dogs.

Traveling is awesome and u'll learn so much just from 1 trip.
Talking to fellow campers is also the best way to know up to date info :)
AnswerID: 490535

Follow Up By: JBird - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 17:50

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 17:50
Shudder at the thought of Information Centres: the missus always grabs every brochure in those places lol. But you are right, they do have all the info about attractions etc in the areas ... sometimes a little too much.

That's one of our main concerns is arriving late and trying to find dog-friendly areas to camp; the plan is to try to get to where we're staying early in the afternoons to allow time for this, though this might not always go to plan unfortunately.

I'm just counting down the days till we head off, can't wait for that sense of freedom.

Thanks again for the comments ;)
FollowupID: 765929

Sponsored Links