Tips for budget camps close to highway between Nowra and Bairnsdale

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 21:48
ThreadID: 96894 Views:2511 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone

Over the next month I have taken up the role of volunteer safety vehicle driver for Sarah Eagle of Walking Feat who is walking from Armidale to Melbourne for mental health.

As Sarah walks and talks at free presentations I'm trying to arrange our accommodation within a very tight budget.

We have an ex Mercedes ambulance converted to a campervan for Sarah (and my own 1 man tent) with most essentials apart from comfort or a toilet.

As we go we need to find safe convenient places to stop at the end of each day.

I would greatly appreciate your tips to help make Sarah's campaign just a little easier.

And if anyone is interested in Sarah talking to your business, school, social or community group about mental health please contact us direct on 0412147355 or walkingfeat@gmail.com

Happy Travels :)

Terra
Have you seen my marbles?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Terra'Mer - Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 22:06

Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 22:06
Walking Feat - Sarah Eagle walking for Mental Health

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 491055

Reply By: SDG - Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 22:07

Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 22:07
About 5kms or so north of Narooma there is a rest stop close to the highway that can be used overnight. Near the Brou Lake and tip turnoff.
About 12ks south of Narooma is Mystery Bay. It is about a k off the highway, but on the beach if she wants a quick refreshing dip to relax muscles. Small cost involved there, but Craig would help you out if you tell him what your doing.

Toilet at both. (nothing flash but better than the ground)
AnswerID: 491056

Follow Up By: SDG - Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 22:10

Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 22:10
There is also a rest stop between Batemans Bay and Moruya. Can't remember name, but is about half way.
FollowupID: 766467

Reply By: Member - Terra'Mer - Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 08:30

Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 08:30
Thanks heaps SDG. I forgot about Mystery Bay. It is one of my favourite places in Eurobodalla :) The camping ground has a very nice aspect

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 491065

Follow Up By: Gronk - Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 19:22

Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 19:22
Why not email a few caravan parks ??

I'm sure a couple may let you stay free if you let them know the circumstances..
FollowupID: 766532

Reply By: flashcher - Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 20:21

Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 20:21
At South Nowra just past McDonalds there is a rest area on the right hand side of the road that has toilets and picnic tables.

Sussex Inlet turnoff has a large parking area.

Waldrons Swamp rest area is between Batemans Bay & Moruya.

Genoa, just over the Vic border has an old caravan park on the west side of the highway just before you cross the bridge that is used as a rest area.

Also take a look at the website ozcamps.net.
AnswerID: 491102

Follow Up By: Member - Terra'Mer - Wednesday, Jul 18, 2012 at 15:51

Wednesday, Jul 18, 2012 at 15:51
Thanks Flashcher,
Marked that spot on the map for Genoa
Cheers

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 766657

Reply By: Member - Terra'Mer - Wednesday, Jul 18, 2012 at 16:02

Wednesday, Jul 18, 2012 at 16:02
Tried out a few good places now.
We stayed a night at Riverside Ski Park in Nth Nowra. We meant to go to the Wildlife Camping Ground at the zoo but accidentally overshot the driveway and ended up on the river instead. It wasn't expensive for a powered site, $27, but the showers are coin operated.
The camp sites are right on the water and visited by possums and wombats during the night.
Last night we used the Bewong Rest Area and treated ourselves to a mocha from the roadhouse before heading off this morning. I couldn't pitch my tent on the stony gravel so ended up rolling out my mat and sleeping bag on the picnic table.
Next 2 nights we're at the Holiday Haven in Ulladulla. We had to pay out for a powered site so we can catch up on admin but it is a quiet, scenic, well equipped park and very central to town and walks.
We have Batemans Bay and Moruya covered by some lovely people who have offered to host us. Looking forward to their company

:)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 491205

Sponsored Links