Exmouth accommodation

Submitted: Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 14:46
ThreadID: 96909 Views:2668 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys

We are currently in Tom Price and looking at going to Exmouth in the next couple of days. We understand that it is going to be extremely busy. Can anyone please suggest an accommodation for a 25ft van with two kids in tow (not literally). The van is not an offroad van. Accommodation does not have to be in Exmouth itself just close enough to see be able to go and see all the sights. We understand that there are a few freecamps near by. Does anyone know if these are chock-a-block? We can free camp for two or three days but then need to power up. We priced the overflow in Exmouth and it was going to be about $75 per night, ouch. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Chell
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Drew - Karratha - Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 15:10

Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 15:10
Possibly try Yardie Homestead C'van park for a powered or unpowered site... Or single nights at the c'van parks in town - but they are prob all booked out.... You could also try the surrounding stations to see if they have camping faciilities - Giralia / Exmouth / Bullara.... Or go to Carnarvon...
AnswerID: 491082

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 17:07

Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 17:07
I second Yardie Homestead - still close but a lot nicer and friendlier than some of the others.
FollowupID: 766590

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 16:55

Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 16:55
Hi Chell

You can check out a couple of station stays here:

Bullara Station Stay
Giralia Station Stay

Ningaloo and Warroora Station have 'self sufficient' camping only.

The Ningaloo coastline DEC camping (unpowered) is also under pressure and an on line booking system is now used and of course much of it may not be suitable for your caravan.

Exmouth Shire has a bad attitude when it comes to free camping.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 491088

Reply By: WBS - Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 17:49

Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 17:49
In 2010 we stayed at the Lighthouse CP which was a very good park. It is situated on Yardie Creek Rd below the lighthouse. A good spot for Ningaloo Reef and the town.

They don't have fresh water on tap but had plenty of rainwater available at their tanks. It was not a problem for us.

WBS
AnswerID: 491092

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 22:34

Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 22:34
We stayed there less than a month ago would rate it at 3 out of 5 only , come over as very nice but but need to lift there game.....
rubbish bins over flowing ...before school holidays
fuel cheap but not trusting us ....
can be very noisy at times " yobbos & traffic "
re gas and other stuff only when it suit then ....
Its ok but just not good .......
We did like our stay just the same .
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 766543

Reply By: pop2jocem - Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 19:47

Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 19:47
Hi Chell,

We have just returned from the Exmouth region. We spent 2 weeks at Yardie Creek caravan park. The power is restricted to non high power consumption usage i.e. no air con, toasters or such but no worries to re-charging batteries. Drinking water is available from designated taps in the park. We could not stay on a powered site any longer as they were all booked for the school hols. We went to Bullara Station stay for the rest of our time up there. No powered sites or drinking water available so take plenty. Generators are allowed between 9.00am to 11.00am and then again between 4.00pm and 8.00pm but we shut our 2.0i Honda down by 7.00pm at the latest.
There were signs on the way in advising that all DEC sites were full and as MH has said the local shire is dirty on free camping even though everything is booked solid, at least for the school hols anyway.

Cheers Pop
AnswerID: 491099

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 20:21

Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 20:21
My brother is there at the moment. I think it is called Mena. You have to line up at an entrance early morning and wait for people to leave. Once you get in you are allowed to stay for 28 days but there is no power or water. They have a 24ft self contained van and are having a ball. Great fishing as well. Bob.
AnswerID: 491101

Reply By: ReCon - Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 22:33

Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 22:33
Exmouth is FLAT OUT as present! You can try and line up at the national park , but the line is very long , and you need to get there around 3am for a chance to get in.
This is , of course , if someone actually leaves which is not likely at this time of year due to the lack of empty sites as far down as Shark Bay.

Bulara is busy , but give them a call and see how you go , it is a pretty good stay atm , plus you dodge the school holiday insanity!
Not sure about Giralia unfortunately.

Free camping is extremely frowned up due to campers destroying the surrounding area with rubbish , defecation, and toilet paper. Pull into places like the Billabong Roadhouse during peak periods and see a trace of how things look after the holidays and the fee campers leave.

There is a station directly across thew road from the Nanutarra free-stay that is $25/night with a 25 km dirt road , but it has water in the creek and is generally quiet as not many travellers know the area that well.

With a big 'van , most parks will be unable to fit you in , as their overflows are tent site size only.
The town one is not overly full at present , and 75 dollars a night for very little is asking a lot I know , but it gets rid of the backpackers and undesirables very quickly. At least you can walk into town and buy food or supplies if needed.

If you can hang at Bulara for the next 3 days , you might have a better chance of getting into town , and the place is really worth visiting.

The minister of finance is in the office at Light House CVP , but we a re booked solid
until the end of the holidays.

Good luck , try Coral Bay as a 'smokey' , but it is tough this time of year for any type of accommodation unfortunately....

AnswerID: 491113

Reply By: R Send - Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 10:01

Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 10:01
Have you tried the paying parks eg Big 4, Exmouth Cape and Ningaloo Resort? They may have short-term spaces available
AnswerID: 491128

Reply By: Clint & Chell - Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 16:13

Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 16:13
Thanks everyone. As expected everything is choc-a-blok. We did a ring around and couldn't get in, but we were on the phone to Yardie Homestead and they had a cancellation whilst we were on the phone so we are booked. Yay.

Thanks again
AnswerID: 491148

Sponsored Links