Greenhorns Travelling Back West Via Top End

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 10:41
ThreadID: 9712 Views:2384 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Well after many years of talking about it we are are relocating back to Perth, taking the sceninc route via Cape York, The Gulf country, Ayres Rock, The Kimberly and of course the Ningaloo region - Last time I was on the reef was 26 years ago and I am looking forward to showing my wife and 4 year old son!!

I have done some fairly serious offroading in the past, usually in company cars / hire cars that seem to go anywhere even with standard rig. However, we have just purchased a new Turbo Diesel 100 Series and Jumbuck offroad camper with independednt suspension and treg hitch. I am happy with the ttariler though we need to kit our tow vehicle out for our trip, my quetions are;

1) Do we really need a lift Kit and revised suspension based on our planned destiantion - we will also have a long range fuel tank fitted.

2) Kaymar appears to be the best bar work on the market. We need both roo and rear bar with twin wheel carriers.....are the other bars on the market up to the towing / recovery task or should we stick with Kaymar?

3) I intend to take a tifor (plus pulleys) and exhaust jack rather than a hi lift. Will this be sufficient for most recoveries. I dont want to offend anyone here - I am 38 so dont suffer any DOB restrictions so should be able to pump the handle for an extended period if required.

Any other tips on vehicle set up / revovery gear would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 11:40

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 11:40
Butler family!

1. I would think that you do not need a lift kit based on the destination but you might need it for the accessories depending on the load. The long range tank adds quite a lot of weight in our 100 series T/D and rear bar add quite a lot of weight and if there is any other gear in the back, your bum will sag so you might need heavier springs on the rear at least. I reckon I would go for heavier springs on the rear, torsion bar adjustment and keep the standard shocks which would be pretty cheap. On the long range tank - Long Ranger have a combined water and fuel tank - around 50 litres of water and 120 of fuel. I would have liked this instead of my 170 of diesel only though my range is upwards of 1500k's.

2. I bought another brand wheel carrier which cracked and needed to be welded in Cape York. It's retaining bracket is also softening and has needed reinforcing and it has tilted back - stick with Kaymar!

3. Should have snatch strap too but rest sounds fine. Should have radio etc etc etc

Sounds like a great trip home to Perth.

AndrewMy Toy - 2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"
AnswerID: 42791

Reply By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 13:59

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 13:59
Butlers,
from your itinerary I doubt the long range tank will be needed. (a couple of plastic jerries stowed in the trailer are much cheaper for a once only trip anyway) There are diesel outlets every few hundred kms. Having towed a trailer extensively through the "back country" with a bog std LX470 I can tell you that no suspension mods are needed.
Have never needed a winch for the sort of trip you plan.Bob
AnswerID: 42803

Follow Up By: Davoe - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 03:43

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 03:43
Long range fuel tanks are always a worthy accesory it can save you from unwelcome surprises such as planned fuel stops being closed/shut down and enables you to take unplanned detours. also I once lost my eftpos card on the grr but as I had 190litres on board it was only a minor inconvenience rather than a catasrophe (I also now always carry backup cash) It can also save you $$$ as I was able to fill up at ulara for 1.05 (yes thats right may 03) and drive past all the fuel stops on the great central road getting to laverton with 20l left
FollowupID: 305194

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 08:22

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 08:22
Davoe,
do the math - you spent $800 to save $20 ? You mention a few 'long shot' advantages of having longrange tanks, what about a few negatives like : car stolen with 190 L on board will go a lot further than one with 135, or car on fire with 190 L make bigger flames, or hole in tank with 190 L is a bigger leak, or car with 190L in tank harder to recover than one with standard tank.Bob
FollowupID: 305203

Follow Up By: Davoe - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 09:00

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 09:00
Long range tanks didnt cost me a cent as they came with the vehicle. As I own a campervan it is impracticle 4 me to carry many jerry cans with me I also have been on many trips where the extra range was essential as you cant refuel without a fuel station as for 190l making bigger flames I can assure you 60l or 190l stil= an unuseable vehicle I certainly wouldnt be without a lr tank
FollowupID: 305205

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 17:34

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 17:34
Put pollyairs in rear coils to lift back if you don't want the expence of a suspension upgrade, UHF radio , Air Compressor + what others mentioned. We did the Gulf track in July & standard suspension will get you through, but don't know about the Cape especialy if you use the OTL. Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 42832

Reply By: Member - Allan - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 01:30

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 01:30
In my opinion;
1. You will not require a lift kit unless you plan to regularly go seriously offroad. Fuel range is quite adequate standard so don't bother with long range tank (extra weight requires extra suspension). I'd put the money towards a set of polyairs instead.
2. I have Kaymar rear bar with ARB front bar & steps. No complaints with either but there are cheaper versions which may do the same job.
3. The tirfor will be a cheap insurance policy and get you out of trouble (even at your young age).
Air compressor, punchure repair kit, recovery kit, UHF radio, first aid kit and full set of hoses & belts are the minimum basics needed for you planned trip.
If it sounds too hard for you, pay my salary for a few months and I'll do it fo you.
Enjoy your trip & look us up when you get to Perth.

Cheers
Allan
AnswerID: 42885

Follow Up By: The Butlers - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 07:47

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 07:47
Cheers Alan.....I knew someone would get me on the age thing!!

Pete
FollowupID: 305198

Follow Up By: The Butlers - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 07:47

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 07:47
Cheers Allan.....I knew someone would get me on the age thing!!

Pete
FollowupID: 305199

Sponsored Links