Flashing orange lights before red a much safer option!

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 04, 2012 at 19:30
ThreadID: 97256 Views:2760 Replies:7 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
After running down to the big smoke to work (Sydney) with the rest of the stressed out ciity workforce for the last six weeks, .. Im convinced the orange flashing light,is a much safer bet, You are commited to start slowing to a stop, when in three lanes of traffic gunning for it, half roar thru half stop when the orange light appears and many are only just half way through the intersection when the red appears, you get forced into a situation at times, Hoping to hell theres no camera spotting you!... I hate the city!!!!...LOL.

Cheers Axle.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Josh- Saturday, Aug 04, 2012 at 20:41

Saturday, Aug 04, 2012 at 20:41
I don't see how a flashing orange light will make any difference. I went through a light that turned orange as I got to it. Thought about braking but was to close. 5, yes 5, cars went through behind me. Yesterday I was turning left at the lights in a left turn lane that had a give way sign, not a light. The light was green for traffic from my direction but a truck came through the lights totally on a red light. If any car had decided to go on the green light they would be dead now.
People just don't care and don't drive to the conditions so having a flashing orange, pink, purple or poka dot light won't make a difference.
Until people are affected by a road death they just don't care cause it will never happen to them.
JMHO

Josh
AnswerID: 492246

Follow Up By: Axle - Saturday, Aug 04, 2012 at 20:59

Saturday, Aug 04, 2012 at 20:59
G/Day Josh, Agree people don't care until there affected by a fatality,

But if a flashing orange light is displayed before the traffic lights then the temptation to get through before red is a lot less.?

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 767916

Follow Up By: Member - Josh- Saturday, Aug 04, 2012 at 21:13

Saturday, Aug 04, 2012 at 21:13
I don't agree. If there is warning the lights are going to change they will just speed up to try and make it. It won't change their attitude or actions. If a person runs a red light nothing will change that.
Please explain how a flashing orange light will stop them.

Josh
FollowupID: 767917

Follow Up By: Axle - Saturday, Aug 04, 2012 at 21:29

Saturday, Aug 04, 2012 at 21:29
Josh i agree,........It won't stop the lunatics!, but maybe the ones that are half mad.?.......Its got to help.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 767921

Reply By: MP - Saturday, Aug 04, 2012 at 22:05

Saturday, Aug 04, 2012 at 22:05
I'd like to see a flashing orange light at the same time as red to let people know the light is about to turn green. This would give the people texting, and any one else not on the ball a little warning that everyone else behind them wants to go!!
AnswerID: 492253

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 07:24

Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 07:24
You are joking I hope! I bet they text while in the toilet. Stuff them. Throw the phone out. You are now encouraging them knowing that they have time to continue/finish.
FollowupID: 767933

Follow Up By: MP - Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 09:09

Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 09:09
Unfortunately there have always been inattentive drivers even before mobile phones. And yes I am serious about orange light before green. I hate sitting behind someone in LaLa Land and missing a light sequence altogether.
FollowupID: 767938

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 10:27

Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 10:27
Yes, there will always be some. Doing their nails, family troubles or work hassles etc. Hasn't changed that much.

I even nearly missed one the other day. And no it wasn't the phone. I don't even carry it. It's flat as a tack and back home where it belongs. I just wasn't there and not even looking at anything. No one to toot/blast the horn to wake me up. A flashing light would not have made any difference. Not proud of it, but it did happen. Just finished chemo and was thinking of that.

I used to drive between the major eastern cities a lot. I do not recall any difference at the lights. Flashing or not, it was the same.

I would like to see the schools get flashing lights though. Not all day. Just when the normal start and finish school times are.
FollowupID: 767940

Follow Up By: landseka - Monday, Aug 06, 2012 at 10:10

Monday, Aug 06, 2012 at 10:10
I recall many years ago that in Adelaide at least this was the norm. The light sequence went red, yellow, green, yellow, red.

Ulitmately it was realised that the yellow prior to green was giving the impatient ones the excuse to jump the lights by reving up on amber & dropping the clutch as soon as the light went green. Unfortunately, often at that moment a vehicle would T-bone them as it was running the red from the side.

I too like the flashing amber warning of an imminent red we have on many intersections in WA, especially those where the intersection is just around a bend.

Normally they are on main truck routes.

Cheers Neil
FollowupID: 768014

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Saturday, Aug 04, 2012 at 22:15

Saturday, Aug 04, 2012 at 22:15
It’s not the stop lights that are the problem – it’s the drivers.
If you don’t have enough time to stop before going through a red – you shouldn’t be driving.
The same applies to whingeing about speed cameras – do the crime do the time.
AnswerID: 492255

Follow Up By: Axle - Saturday, Aug 04, 2012 at 22:50

Saturday, Aug 04, 2012 at 22:50
G/Day Mate, ..Not disagreeing with you, but have a drive down pennant hills rd NSW at 6am it takes some nerve to even remoteley do the right thing!!!.

AXLE.
FollowupID: 767925

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Saturday, Aug 04, 2012 at 22:56

Saturday, Aug 04, 2012 at 22:56
In regards to speed cameras how many times have you just gone over the limit by a few klms and thought bleep and dabbed the brakes ??? And I dont mean 10k over or even 8k Im talking say 64 or 65 in a 60 zone ??? This is enough to get pinged by a mobile camera.

Im not saying I dont speed and Im not in total disagreement with speed cameras either but rolling accidentally just over the limit and your gone for what ??? 4k more is so dangerous.............And these bloody safety cameras as they call them, the amount of people who slam their brakes on when at the line cause they think they will get pinged on an orange (that has just gone orange) will one day end up with a b double up there arse.

It must drive truck drivers insane who rely on the gap for pulling up their huge trucks......... Next mobile camera I see and the sign is not set up correctly I will be stopping and taking a photo if its set up illegal. Why do these blokes have the right to set up on the council strip and not get pinged for it. Christ I cant even park my car on my lawn out the front in a dead end street and I have been warned by the ranger ??

I thought these cameras were for black spots ?? I have been driving the same road for over 20 years, the mobile camera that is set up there in the afternoons you cant tell me its not for revenue ?? I have never seen or heard or read abut any accidents in that spot EVER in over 20 years and I lived not far from it for 15 years. I dont doubt that it catches a few speeding but I thought the idea of the cameras was to reduce road tolls where there have been numerous persons killed or injured or high accident rate ??

And no I havnt lost my licence or lost excess points I have been fined 3 times in 27 years of driving including trucks and courier work so I do have respect for the law just not all speed cameras I see as safety only.

If its about safety, then I would love to know why the lights near my house were fitted with a safety camera before the school down the road was fitted with warning lights at the kids school crossing ?? WHY, cause the safety camera's going to make more money then a set of flashing amber lights at a school......................................................
FollowupID: 767926

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Saturday, Aug 04, 2012 at 23:02

Saturday, Aug 04, 2012 at 23:02
""If you don’t have enough time to stop before going through a red – you shouldn’t be driving."" totally agree with you............

And yeah AXLE mate that roads a night mare at the best of times, try peak hour and school zones and all the clowns on their mobiles texting while driving and wanting to kiss your flares every time I drive down it......I certainly miss the steel winch bar from the old hilux, this alloy one dont think will stand upto it if it needs to lol.............
FollowupID: 767928

Follow Up By: Axle - Saturday, Aug 04, 2012 at 23:16

Saturday, Aug 04, 2012 at 23:16
G/Day Kimba,....Lol Plenty of expression of emotion there on the subject.

Mate!! start a new post!!, .... Safetey Versus Revenue. Away you Go..Lol.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 767929

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 00:11

Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 00:11
LOL its probably be done a million times. I have no problems with trying to improve safety, we have a 4 year old so like many people out there we know how precious our kids are but there is a difference between safety and money making hence why there bringing out so many more mobile cameras. If its such a danger area put in a 24 hour speed camera with all the warning signs na wont do that cause people slow down then speed up again, we are all guilty of it whether its 1km over the limit or 10. Na go the mobiles cause you wont expect them so they will ping more then send the fine in the mail 2 weeks later, yeah thats safety at its best lol Now there's talk of 30k limit in residential areas, christ it will be quicker to walk soon. Get people to pull there head out of there arse and there iphone's and watch and listen to whats going on around them and there might be less pedestrian's getting hurt. Thats my rant for the night cya.....................
FollowupID: 767930

Reply By: Life Member - Doug T (NT) - Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 05:04

Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 05:04
Darwin and Perth have a brilliant set up of twin flashing Amber lights some 150m to 200m before the intersection, if the lights start flashing before you get past them then you will not get through the intersection before the lights turn red, of course this is only on divided roads and motorways.
So yes I agree if the amber light began flashing 15 seconds before the the red light came on at all intersections controlled by lights that would take a lot of worry about getting caught into a red light panic stop, especially at red light Cam intersections, but this won't happen as it might reduce the revenue.

Image Could Not Be Found

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 492260

Follow Up By: Rockape - Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 06:37

Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 06:37
Doug,
I will second that. They are brilliant in the higher speed zones.

Also WA excellent school zone warning lights.
FollowupID: 767932

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 07:48

Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 07:48
G'day Doug,
Have to agree these are brilliant. We have them down here in Vic on the old Princess hwy in Officer.
Seen quite a few of them in my travels but can't remember where else.
You can get off the accelerator really early & almost roll to a stop. Should be more of them.
Cheers
Stu
FollowupID: 767934

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 11:09

Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 11:09
we were coming down the Tonkin last night between Morley drive and collier Rd, the warning lights started flashing before we got to them, so I backed off, the vehicles that were behind me changed lanes and sped up, One out of the six vehicles got through the rest went through on red lights the fixed speed and red light camera could only get off three shots, of the vehicles. This intersection has killed of lot of people, and going by last nights behaviour it will kill a lot more, because of drivers doing the wrong thing. the people who got caught will complain that is revenue raising, Me I call it tuff titties, you deserve everything that you get, And I am not a saintly driver.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 767942

Follow Up By: Bush Wanderer - Monday, Aug 06, 2012 at 23:59

Monday, Aug 06, 2012 at 23:59
Agreed.....they work well here in WA so no reason they would not work well in the other states. We sure have a lot of these. Those that try to beat them, generally get pinged now with the speed and red light cameras.
BW.
FollowupID: 768102

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 07:39

Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 07:39
Axle

I tend to agree with you. It could make some borderline good guys stop but the majority that go through orange lights won't even if a copper was on their tail. Most people do not believe that you even have to stop if the orange is showing. Yes. You are supposed to stop. They just take it as a warning that the red is coming.

It would be better if they put the money into installing flashing school signs/lights. There are so many signs in the cities that it is so easy to miss one. And with my luck it would be a bad one.

Pennant Hills road is a pain but I would still rather use it instead on the toll roads.
AnswerID: 492263

Reply By: tonysmc - Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 10:55

Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 10:55
All you need is a simple sign post or line across the road at a set distance before the intersection. If the lights turn amber and you are not past this line or sign post, you will not reach the intersection before the lights turn red. With many red light cameras now being also speed cameras this will alleviate people speeding up to beat the red light. It also would stop those that panic when the light changed to amber from slamming on the brakes.
A local intersection has recently had a red light/speed camera installed and it is amazing the mass of skid marks it has accumulated since being activated. I am sure it is causing more rear end collisions than there ever were accidents there.

Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 492273

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 13:37

Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 13:37
Yep totally agree with you Tony, as per my rant above lol................
FollowupID: 767950

Reply By: SDG - Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 15:17

Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 15:17
Road spikes that lift up half way between an orange session.
AnswerID: 492295

Follow Up By: Member - Josh- Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 23:25

Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 23:25
Now ya talking, I like your thinking.
FollowupID: 767998

Sponsored Links