Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - OzGazza (VIC) - Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 20:14

Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 20:14
Check out my blog. We did a trip in 2009

Use the links on the timeline to look at June 2009.

http://oz4x4ing.blogspot.com

Lots to see and do.
AnswerID: 492844

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 20:22

Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 20:22
I was up there 4 years ago
If your equipment is suitable, it’s essential you go via the Old Telegraph Track. Waterfalls, river crossings, interesting travellers - its magic.
AnswerID: 492845

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 21:02

Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 21:02
Hi Linz,

Get this book. Available here in the Exploroz shop. It will tell you everything you need to know.

And have a great trip.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 492848

Follow Up By: Member - sue and shaun - Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 22:29

Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 22:29
Hi Allan,
can you please advise us as to which book you were referring to as we are thinking of doing a similar trip.
Many Thanks,
Shaun and Sue
FollowupID: 768473

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 22:44

Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 22:44
If you click on the link "this book" in my post above it will take you to the book 'Cape York - an Adventurer's Guide' by Ron & Viv Moon in the EO bookshop.

Alternatively, click on 'Shop' in the blue bar at the top of this page, then select 'Books', type 'Cape York' into the search box and click 'Go' to see the full range.

I have found the Moon's book very useful.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 768475

Reply By: mountainman - Tuesday, Aug 14, 2012 at 17:25

Tuesday, Aug 14, 2012 at 17:25
must see frazer island on the way up.

time permitting daintree on way home. heard lots about this one.
AnswerID: 492876

Reply By: Member - Hunjy (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 14, 2012 at 18:23

Tuesday, Aug 14, 2012 at 18:23
We just got back from CY last week to Newcastle and its going to be heaps faster going up the inland way through Roma, Emerald, Charters Towers etc ( good free camp site at Fletcher Creek 30kms north of Charters Towers with heaps of nomads).
We came home the coast way and would have been stopped by road works at least 20 times with lights or stop and go people from Cairns to Brissy. This was very trying as when people get bunched up together it slows proceedings down and brings out the idiots in some people and we saw some very ordinary and dangerous driving.
The inland way we had the cruise control on most of the day at 95kph.
In saying all that the Qld coastal strip has a lot to offer and if you can take your time coming back from the tip coastal Qld is fantastic.
We had the best time up at CY and really can't wait to go back, I can now see why so many of us love the place so much with the 4WDriving and fishing and scenery and not enough time. We had 3 weeks from Cooktown up and back to Atherton and needed an extra week to enjoy more fishing time.
If you do Nolans let your tyres down to around 12 psi as most people this year are losing traction in the softish sand and then sitting in the water for a while (not good for the electrics).
Some things to see and do are;
* driving on the beach at low tide a few kms north of Punsand Bay.
*Fruit Bat Falls is a must see.
*Sunset from the top of the hill at the tip itself.
*Viriliya Point.
*Drive 5 kms down the beach from Chili beach to Chili Creek to see the big one eyed Croc.
*the beach drive from Cullen Point down to Janie Creek.
And everywhere else up there too.

Cheers
Mal
AnswerID: 492877

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma. - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 11:15

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 11:15
Hi, Lindsay e.
We're going up the Cape York too be aware that the camping spots Permits have changed.
We're wading through places to Camp now.
In the N.P's you must now book ahead in some of them.
We've never been there so how do we know where we want to camp?
Anyway, I contacted the Qld Government Offices & a few reasons for the change were given. Some destinations you must have a pre arranged Permit to enter the Park to get to a site. CYPAL Iron Range National Park.
One lot says that you must have a vehicle Permit for passage to Chilli beach & Portland Roads , another lot says you don't? Very confusing?
I'm no computer whiz so I can just look up the address & get back to you.
It's www.DERM something?
Looks like we'll be camping at Roadhouses & just doing Day trips to where we don't need Permits. It's only changed Recently.
Take Care, Safe Travels Ma.
AnswerID: 492910

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 11:33

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 11:33
Back again Linz,
Go to htt://www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks/index.php.
Have a good trip. Bye for now. Ma.
FollowupID: 768512

Follow Up By: Member - Hunjy (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 14:18

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 14:18
There is no permit required for Chili or Portland Roads but you need to check the alcohol restrictions that apply.
You need to be fairly rigid with your bookings in NP's but you can change the date to arrive about 3 times I think. We did this when we were closer to the due date and had reception. As you get to know the lay of the land regarding places to go and time frames you can be more precise about your booking dates but if there is no reception where your staying and you want to stay longer then tough sh#t.
The only pro's with this system is it helps with Government logistics and is not set up to the needs of the end user.
I could go on.....

Cheers
Mal
FollowupID: 768519

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 15:09

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 15:09
Hi Hunjy & thanks for that information, I could've gone on too but what frustrates me is that if it's your first visit to the Cape you've got no idea where you want to camp. You can wind up booked under a Green ant tree or something that is the worst camp in that section. How do we book a good site well ahead .I'll try to send you my Email by MM.
I think the old Permit way was better.
I should've put http:// too! Sorry.
Take care, Safe travels. Ma.
FollowupID: 768524

Follow Up By: Col & Razza - Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 21:18

Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 21:18
I dont know if your towing a caravan, if so it may be that you have to book into NP camp sites, if your just taking a tent or a camper and doing the OTT you can camp at most of the creek crossings, we just did and no problems with finding a spot. The NP camping permits make it hard work, so we didnt bother.
FollowupID: 770585

Reply By: lindsay e - Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 20:14

Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 20:14
thanks guys, all your info has helped a lot.

Linz
AnswerID: 492997

Sponsored Links