Advice on Canberra, Cooma Region 4WD trek for 3 days ?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 19:33
ThreadID: 9752 Views:3975 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Heading down to Canberra for day one - looking for options where to explore for day 2 & 3 then back to Gosford. Question is should I head to Kozi / Jindbyne and trails in that area or something closer to Canberra or go to Deua NP or so. Any advice where other forumites think is the best places to go. Camping is no problem - any advice on camping spots would be appreciated aswell (a swimming hole maybe for the 5yr old). Thanks in advance !Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 19:45

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 19:45
Hi Beddo,
You could try the Boboyan road thru Tharwa to Adaminaby. Nice camping spot at Mt Clear then thru to Tumut and home along the highway. Good camping at Yarrangobilly Village.... thermal pool at Yarangobilly Caves.
AnswerID: 43000

Follow Up By: Jeff (Beddo) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 21:59

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 21:59
Sounds good - is this steep country, what degree of difficulty is there, don't really what to do all 2WD stuff, then again I'm not into rock crawling either. Odd Ck crossing etc would be great. Also is this area National Park or State forest. We maybe picking up a dog along the way (maybe, hopefully not if I have my say).Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
FollowupID: 305294

Follow Up By: Rick Blaine - Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 09:19

Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 09:19
Beddo, Mate this is a little of evrything... mostly National park, Namagi & Kozi. There are some very good moderate tracks and and good dirt. Visitor centre at Tharwa. Lots of forest trails but check first as some closures have been made due to last year's bush fire. You can always return from Tumut along the Brindabella road.. quite rough no highway....with lots of side trails to explore.
FollowupID: 305361

Reply By: Member - Steve (ACT) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 19:58

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 19:58
Few ideas!!,

You could go from Canberra through the Brindabella's (Mt Coree, Flea creek, McIntyres Hut) Flea creek is a nice area where you can camp and suitable to a 5 year old to take a dip!! You could do all this in a day!!!

You can then go through to Tumut along the Brindabelle Rd.

If you'd like more details roads etc, let me know!!!! Can email photos of these areas if you'd like!!!All my friends have Nissans
I'm the rose amongst the thorns
AnswerID: 43001

Follow Up By: Jeff (Beddo) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 22:07

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 22:07
Brindabella's sounds great heard a bit about this area - all National Park isn't it (maybe a issue if my wife has her way a buys a dog - looking at a dog in Canberra - whole reason for intial trip). Are the trails easy or what ? Daughter loves the creek crossings. Photos or so would be great - email at jed@integritynet.com.au Thanks
PS. Do you have the diesel Prado or petrol - my thing has the same motor as the diesel Pardo and it has been great so far, touch wood.Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
FollowupID: 305296

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 02:38

Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 02:38
Sure wish someone would send us some Trek Notes for local trips near Canberra so Jeff could have found his answer there!! hint hint :-)Regards Michelle,
Spread the word - ExplorOz.com
AnswerID: 43070

Reply By: flappan - Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 08:57

Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 08:57
As a follow on from the Brindies, you can then go thru the State Forest towards Tumut, and onto the Broken Cart Trail which goes into the Nth end of Kosi nat park.

Bluewater Holes is a TOP camping spot .

This track at the junction of the Broken Cart Trail, and the track to Bluwaterholes then goes past Tantangara Dam and mets up with the Snowy Mountain Highway, only a couple of K's from Yarrongabilly Caves.

Boiling Billy Books has this trek covered.
AnswerID: 43078

Reply By: Roachie - Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 13:53

Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 13:53
I agree with the previous posts about the Brindi's, although the track down to McIntyre's Hut can be tricky after any rain. We went down there with 3 vehicles & had to winch ourselves out of there about 2 years ago with a bit of snow around. Miy Patrol and my mate's too, both had a winch, but our other mate in a 2.7 Prado didn't. The trucks with winches got ourselves to the top and turned around to face back down; I tethered off at the rear to a tree and secured my winch hook to the back of the other Patrol, which then gradually went back half way down the hill. He then extended his winch cable out to the point where the Prado had come to a slippy halt and winched the Prado up; chocked the wheels. I then used my winch to retrieve the other Patrol, which then proceeded to to haul the Prado to the top in due course. It was a good exercise in lateral thinking.
I lived in Cooma for 3 years and just to throw the whole idea wide open, you could also think about heading out along the back road to Braidwood (ie: from Cooma) and take a look at the water falls (i can't remember their name but fairly sure it starts with "T") and wading area along the way to the Deua NP. The track into there can be a bit hairy after rain and there's one tight hairpin turn that requires a 3 point turn if you're in a Patrol (or Cruiser etc) and if you've got a trailer on as we usually did, be prepared to take it steady. If you go down to the Deua, you'd probably be better off heading out to the coast (Moruya or Batemans Bay) when you're finished.
Good luck and happy travels.
AnswerID: 43111

Follow Up By: Member - Steve (ACT) - Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 22:32

Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 22:32
Re: track down to McIntyre's, it was graded I think around a year ago, fairly easy drive in and out. But as could still be tricky when wet.

The falls in the previous follow-up?? Could be "Tuross Falls", in the Wadbilliga National ParkAll my friends have Nissans
I'm the rose amongst the thorns
FollowupID: 305499

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 00:10

Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 00:10
Thanks all for the replies - I've got a lot of exploring down that way to do. Also I will follow up on trails in my area and post to the site.
Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
AnswerID: 43196

Sponsored Links