any member travelled this route

Submitted: Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 16:31
ThreadID: 98018 Views:1570 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings fellow travellers
Requesting information on taking a 15ft van towed by a Ford Territory from Khancoban to Cabramurra via the road that carries these two towns name on some maps. Google map has it as Tooma Road, then from Cabramurra to Tumbarumba via the Elliot Way.
This trip is planed for in March next year (2013) after I finish work at the Avalon Air Show
Any info will be gratefully received

regards
GeoffC
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Erad - Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 17:12

Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 17:12
There are 2 roads - one directly from Cabramurra to Khancoban via Tumut Pond Dam, and the other - the Elliot Way which is longer. Both are sealed roads all the way. Both have narrow, steep winding sections. I tow my 16 ft caravan over both of these roads with care, but not trepidation.

The Cabra to Khancoban road is closed in winter, but should be open in March next year. There are some steep climbs just as you leave the power lines. If it is getting late, watch out for kangaroos along the power line easement. If it is a hot day, be sure your cooling system is OK, or you could overheat, and there isn't anywhere to pull over. IMPORTANT - nearing the end of the run to Cabra, you have to descend down into Tumut Pond Dam. This is a moderately steep, but very winding stretch of road. ENGAGE LOW GEAR and take your time. There is a public toilet block at the bottom of the descent, overlooking Tumut Pond Reservoir. The climb up the other side to Cabra is fairly easy compared to what you would have done if you got this far.

The alternative road - the Elliot Way has some long, steep hills around Tooma "township" (a pub and a cafe only). Then, you have a fairly easy run (uphill) for about 30 km, until you drop down into Sue City (this was a construction camp - nothing there now). There is a camping area there - beside the headwaters of Talbingo Lake. No power or hot water, but a beautiful spot. From here on, it is a relatively gentle climb all the way to the turnoff to Cabra. Initially, you follow the river and there are some beautiful spots to camp along there as well, and then you climb. You will go past the entrance to Tumut 2 Power Station. Nothing to see but a tunnel portal, but there is also a toilet there is you need it.

My choice - take the direct road to Cabra rather than the Elliot way. I only use the Elliot if the Cabra road is closed. I have a series of route notes which you may find interesting. PM me or email - date@spin.net.au and I can send you a copy. It should give you some interesting reading as you travel along some of the most spectacular scenery in Australia (but then I am a bit biassed!)
AnswerID: 494884

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 21:53

Friday, Sep 14, 2012 at 21:53
Agreed, the direct road is quite OK. Last time I was towing along it I was using an Nissan E20 van. The trip will be much more relaxing with your rig (if you take your time and use the gear selector on downhill gradients.)
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 770590

Sponsored Links