Caravanning from Wollongong to Mackay

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 02, 2012 at 18:08
ThreadID: 98361 Views:2169 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Good afternoon
After spending nearly a year following this forum we thought it time to take advantage of the wealth of knowledge out there.
In three weeks time we will be heading up to Mackay, for a short stint, caretaking a van park.
It is our intention to take about three weeks to make our way north. Possibly heading out to Lightning Ridge on to St George, Carnarvon George, Claremont & then MacKay.
Q. Is this a reasonable task & what might the road conditions be.
Any alternate advice would be appreciated.
cheers m&m

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Tuesday, Oct 02, 2012 at 18:23

Tuesday, Oct 02, 2012 at 18:23
Not long ago went up that way then back down again. There is a lot of work on some of the roads repairing flood damage etc.

As long as you don't go too fast things are fine. 3 Weeks is plenty of time. The inland route is much more relaxed than the Pacific and Bruce Highways. Plenty of alternate routes and some interesting areas along the way.
AnswerID: 496060

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 02, 2012 at 19:03

Tuesday, Oct 02, 2012 at 19:03
Hi Gertrude,
Once you get to newcastle on the freeway head up the New England as it is more the direction you need to go to do the things you have outlined.
The road is quite good all the way but especially to Wallabadah which is 50K south of Tamworth. Wallabadah is a free camp so you can stay overnight of for a couple of days if you like but make sure you have a look in the "Firdt Fleet Park" in Wallabadah as it is a beauty.
From Wallabadah you can slip across country to Quirindi then head to Gunnedah, Narrabri,
Wee Waa, Burren Junction then walget and on to Lightening Ridge.

I was out as far as Burren Junction in May and the roads are good. Gets a little busy when you get out into that cotton country but no where near as bad Woolongong. LOL

Brother got as far as Lightening Ridge late last year and he said the roads were all good.

From there heading toward your eventual destination is foriegn country to me as yet.

Probably head back to Walget and then on to Moree then up to Goondiwindi. From there all roads head to Rome, well, Roma anyway. LOL

There are odd spots whrere road works are being carried out but the holdups are small and it gives time to relax and reflect anyway.

Hope you have a brilliant trip.

Cheers, Bruce.

At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 496062

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 02, 2012 at 19:05

Tuesday, Oct 02, 2012 at 19:05
That should have been "Have a look in the "First Fleet Park"
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 771671

Reply By: gertrude - Tuesday, Oct 02, 2012 at 21:49

Tuesday, Oct 02, 2012 at 21:49
Thank you for your valuable contributions.
Please keep them coming.
AnswerID: 496071

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Oct 03, 2012 at 10:54

Wednesday, Oct 03, 2012 at 10:54
M & M,

St George, Surat, Roma, Injune, Rolleston, Springsure, Emerald & then Clermont is a pretty good drive, and the roads are all good bitumen. Certainly more peaceful than the Bruce Highway, with all its traffic and road works.

You don't say if you are 'vanning or not, but if not, accommodation in Roma, Springsure & Emerald is very scarce, it not impossible to get. Good free camp in Rolleston, on the Biloela side. Also on Emerald side of Springsure there is a spot to overnight. Good scenery north of Injune, coming into the Carnarvons, and also coming into Springsure, and just north-west of the town.

On the way home you could come down to Rocky, then cut across to Biloela via Mt Morgan(old gold mining town), Monto, Mundubbera, Gayndah, Kingaroy or Nanango, Toowoomba, Warwick & onto the New England H'way. This is a pleasant drive, much quieter than the coast and probably a lot easier to get some 'van space, or accommodation. Did note that fuel @ Gayndah was as dear as what we pay out here at Winton. Went into Fuel Card Shock!!!

Have a safe trip,

Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 496090

Follow Up By: gertrude - Wednesday, Oct 03, 2012 at 11:28

Wednesday, Oct 03, 2012 at 11:28
Thanks Bob,

Will be pulling a 23' Heritage, on our way up. So again thanks for the info.
Not actually sure if we'll be heading home in a hurry. Will probably fly down to next jobs on the South Coast & or possibly continue on at the van park in Mackay or head west ???
Either way, do you have a preference on which way you would travel north ??

cheers

m&m
FollowupID: 771693

Follow Up By: Member - Foot - Wednesday, Oct 03, 2012 at 13:22

Wednesday, Oct 03, 2012 at 13:22
You could go up through Mudgee, Coonabarrabran, Moree, St George and onto Roma, make sure you stop at Carnarvon Gorge for a couple of days at Takarikki it is well worth it, there is a free camp just north of Springsure at Virgin Rock which looks awesome lite up at night and you will be entertained by the Apostlebird's. There is an awesome bakery at St George on the left hand side of the road heading towards Roma that has the best bacon, egg and tomato scrolls and a coffee that is hard to beat, also that opens at 6am for an early start on the road.
FollowupID: 771696

Follow Up By: Rockape - Wednesday, Oct 03, 2012 at 15:02

Wednesday, Oct 03, 2012 at 15:02
M&M,

As Bob Y said Mount Morgan is a must and make sure you do the mine tour old mine. Well worth it.

Foots recommendation about takarakka is also spot on.

If you are in staying in Mackay the Andergrove caravan is probably the best.

RA.
FollowupID: 771701

Follow Up By: gertrude - Wednesday, Oct 03, 2012 at 15:37

Wednesday, Oct 03, 2012 at 15:37
Many thanks RA

We're actually going to be caretaking Andergrove for a little over 2 months starting mid Novemeber. Haven't been there before, so nice to here good report

m&m
FollowupID: 771704

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Oct 03, 2012 at 15:54

Wednesday, Oct 03, 2012 at 15:54
Yeah, M&M, I'd endorse Foot's proposed route, mainly 'cause i was going to suggest it too. Haven't been on that road for 20 or so years, so can't say what it's like, but it was good then.

I like the Putty Road, but don't feel it's 'van friendly, and don't think you'd endear yourself to the many truck drivers, using that road. They really fly through there!!!

One of the negatives for New England H'way, I feel, is the many good climbs, that would slow you down, but also add to fuel consumption. Going Foot's route, means it wouldn't be that far across to Lightning Ridge, if you decide to go there.

Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 771706

Follow Up By: gertrude - Wednesday, Oct 03, 2012 at 16:05

Wednesday, Oct 03, 2012 at 16:05
Thanks for the heads up, Bob.

Not a big fan of the hills, mind you the Oxley down to Port Macquarie was fun & the Snowies are always a test

m&m
FollowupID: 771707

Follow Up By: Member - Foot - Thursday, Oct 04, 2012 at 12:39

Thursday, Oct 04, 2012 at 12:39
Going up through Moree, St George, Rome and Emerald is a fairly straight run, and I think more interesting than up the coast which is mainly all bypasses now and you miss most of the seaside towns. We came back from Cooktown, Undarra, Cobbold Gorge and Carnarvon about 7 weeks ago and there was lot's of roadworks going on following the last 2 years of floods. Long delays were going on south of Emerald and south of Roma.
FollowupID: 771761

Reply By: Rockape - Thursday, Oct 04, 2012 at 13:26

Thursday, Oct 04, 2012 at 13:26
m&m,
forgot to give you this link. It is very useful for road works.

Road conditions/ closures and roadworks.

RA.
AnswerID: 496139

Sponsored Links