Kakadu

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 04, 2012 at 15:09
ThreadID: 98380 Views:2088 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Friends...
I am on a long trip that I wish to end up in Kakadu for some 10 days before getting back to Brisbane. Too many locations that I am not familiar with. I am looking for the best two locations for doing footage of birds, the biggest concentrations on the second half of october.
Thanks in advance
Carlo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Candace S. - Thursday, Oct 04, 2012 at 15:28

Thursday, Oct 04, 2012 at 15:28
I'd think your best birdwatching would be from the water. I was there earlier in the year (mid-May) and saw loads of birds on the Yellow Waters Cruise. There are more tours available, see here:

http://www.environment.gov.au/parks/kakadu/visitor-activities/tours.html

A little more research might point you to a company that hires out boats and provide advice about the best places to go during your time frame.
AnswerID: 496142

Follow Up By: ferrarofilms - Thursday, Oct 04, 2012 at 15:35

Thursday, Oct 04, 2012 at 15:35
Thanks Candace but tours do not work for me. I am not going to be taking photos or birdwatching, getting footage on video needs time, pacience, knowledge and locations where one can stay for several hours to capture natural behavior. What I am looking for are some billabongs where one can go near by car and stay around it.
Thanks
Carlo
FollowupID: 771775

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Oct 04, 2012 at 18:47

Thursday, Oct 04, 2012 at 18:47
Don't be to quick to dismiss Candace's suggestion of Yellow Waters, Carlo. You just need to get someone with a tinny to take you out on the wetlands and video to your heart's content. Ring Cooinda resort and find what they have to offer, other than their tours.

There are thousands of birds there, and they are all boat & human friendly. There are no currents to effect boat stability, and only wind in the more open areas that might upset your filming.

All the above, and many more, were taken on Yellow Waters, from a charter boat.

There's also a billabong near Nourlangie Rock, Gunlom and East Alligator River. There'd be many more that I can't remember at the moment as well,

Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 771785

Reply By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Thursday, Oct 04, 2012 at 17:13

Thursday, Oct 04, 2012 at 17:13
Carlo,contact
the information centre at Jabiru. The type of location that you want is available and the staff there will know where the best locations are and if you need permission to go there.
Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 496146

Reply By: Member - MIKE.G - Thursday, Oct 04, 2012 at 17:44

Thursday, Oct 04, 2012 at 17:44
Hi Ferrarofilms, suggest you Google "birds NT" and there are a lot of sites and a huge amount of info on places in an around Darwin and Kakadu and people you can contact for more info. Don't pass up a sunrise at Fogg Dam near Humpty Doo.The bird life is prolific, both bush birds and water birds. Crimson Finches, Pied Herons, Rainbow Pitta, Barking Owl are just a few. You can sit in your car on the dam wall and film many species. Should get some film from the bird hide at the other end of the dam - look out for the crocs.

Cheers,

Mike
AnswerID: 496149

Reply By: kev.h - Thursday, Oct 04, 2012 at 17:49

Thursday, Oct 04, 2012 at 17:49
There is a great bird hide on the way in to Kakadu with hundreds of water bird on a big lake well signposted can't miss it we spent several hours there its called Mamukala Wetland and is about 7 klms past the Aurora Kakadu Resort
Cheers Kev
AnswerID: 496150

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Thursday, Oct 04, 2012 at 19:18

Thursday, Oct 04, 2012 at 19:18
Agree withFogg Dam, plus there is a free camp spot close by. Kevin

AnswerID: 496152

Reply By: ferrarofilms - Thursday, Oct 04, 2012 at 20:25

Thursday, Oct 04, 2012 at 20:25
Thanks to all of you for the information.
Carlo
AnswerID: 496156

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Oct 04, 2012 at 21:24

Thursday, Oct 04, 2012 at 21:24
Hi Carlo

As said - yellow waters for the greatest variety and numbers taking their boat tour; unless you have your own (crocodile proof) boat.Mamukala Wetlands and bird hide had only a few species when we were there in early August.

After leaving Kakadu via the Arnhem Highway we planned to camp at Leaning Tree Lagoon Nature Reserve but when we arrived there it was signed no camping but we saw a greater variety of birds than at Mamukala. We went on to Darwin to jag a place in a caravan park without stopping at Window to the Wetlands, Fogg Dam or any other places between Kakadu and Darwin.

You can check out My Blogs for 2009.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 496159

Reply By: John E - Friday, Oct 05, 2012 at 22:00

Friday, Oct 05, 2012 at 22:00
Hi , Carlo , we were recently at Corroberee Billabong , you could hire a boat , and go out to watch and photograph the birds , to your hearts content, there were many , many different birds there , it was beautiful .Cheers , lyn
AnswerID: 496213

Sponsored Links