Cub/ Aussie Swag Camper trailers

Submitted: Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 20:44
ThreadID: 99856 Views:11825 Replies:11 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everyone,

We are contemplating selling our Trak Shak camper trailer now the children have almost flown the coop. We were considering a hard floor Cub Camper maybe the Kamparoo, Aussie Swag model or similar. They seem to me a fairly decent setup for the price you pay. Only thing i dont like and correct me if im wrong but it looks like you have to attach the annex each time you set up. Is this correct? Hoping some of you have owned a Cub or Aussie Swag before and can shed some light.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 21:03

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 21:03
Hi Jodie,

Just to make sure there is no mistakes The Cub camper and aussie swag are 2 seperate brands. With my camper I can leave the annex attached to the main part of the camper and (when Im setting it up) put the poles in.

Cheers wilko
AnswerID: 501951

Reply By: Member -Ted (Vic) - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 21:05

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 21:05
Hmm, Cub or Aussie Swag, chalk and cheese! Not many cheap Aussie swags about.
You can leave the annex on both units just makes it a bit more difficult to pack up.

cheers
AnswerID: 501952

Reply By: Shaker - Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 21:07

Monday, Jan 07, 2013 at 21:07
We had a Pioneer hard floor, may be worth a look, & we used to leave the awning on, just folded it back over the tent before we folded it up.
AnswerID: 501953

Reply By: mfewster - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 07:58

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 07:58
I have an early model Classic Aussie Swag (second hand). It has been much used but still is in excellent condition. Love it. The Classic is very low which is great for towing but leaves limited storage space internally. We have a thicker mattress and this extra height is just enough to prevent the annex being left on.
We are in Adelaide and Aus Swag in Brisbane. They still give us great support and advice when we have contacted them.
AnswerID: 501972

Reply By: Member - bill f (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 08:37

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 08:37
Hi, We had a Cub for over 3 years. The largest one they made at the time. There is no need to detach the annex each time you fold up. Once we had a system worked out 20 minutes from stopping we were enjoying a cuppa. Once you are half folded throw the annex into the centre & spread the annex so that there are no thick folds &keep tucking in all the pieces as you close. Closes easily using the original mattress. Boss liked to pack extra pillows doonas etc on the bed so could be a bit tight. Tried to use a thicker mattress but not really successful.

Bill
AnswerID: 501978

Reply By: Jim-Bob - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 09:27

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 09:27
Hi Jodie,

We bought a new Classic model Aussie Swag in March 2003 and have taken it to the Cape, Steep Point, Vic High country, Gunbarrel,Kimberly,Kakadu, Gulf and all through the Centre of Australia and it's going back to the Cape in August and the only thing that has gone wrong is the water hand pump (replaced free of charge by Aussie Swag). All trips from the Hunter valley.

We met a couple in 2011 up at Lake Argyle with a new ( first trip from Sydney) Cub with all bells and whistles and they watched us pack up to leave and they wanted to buy it off us then and there.

The quality of workmanship with the Swag you can't compare it with a Cub.

The suspension is a solid axle with slider leaf springs not inderpendant like the larger Aussie Swags, don,t let anyone tell you that a properly constructed leaf slipper suspension is not good enough.

Safe Travells Jim-Bob
AnswerID: 501981

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 09:34

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 09:34
Maybe you have been lucky, when did you last see a car or truck with slipper springs?
FollowupID: 778314

Reply By: The Chef - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 10:39

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 10:39
Had an Aussie Swag 2005 (I think) Rover LX - best thing we have ever bought. Mum & Dad loved it so much they bought it from us. New Aussie Swag Ultra-D arrives in March!!!

They are not cheap, but are an excellent camper. Build quality is unbeatable. We find the layout, particularly the swing away kitchen, the best out of the many options available. That said, there are a lot of options for layout and it is a personal choice.

They come with two annex's - a small one (quick erect) and a large one. We always used the large one and never took it off the camper to pack up. Set up / pack up is a breeze - 15 minutes max.

Good luck with choosing a camper.... there is a lot to choose from!!
AnswerID: 501984

Reply By: Member - Leanne W (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 11:03

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 11:03
Hi Jodie,
We bought a new Aussie Swag in 2009, and love it. The awnings can be left on when packing the camper up, but the annexe (walls) has to be removed.
We have a rear kids room that can also stay attached when packing up.
They are nice people to deal with, and their after sale service is fantastic. We also found them to be very helpful with things like matching wheels to the tow vehicle, and modifying the drawbar setup to include 3 jerry holders.
Cheers
Leanne
AnswerID: 501987

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 16:30

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 16:30
Just to be clear re awnings and annexes - the awning is the roof - the annexe is the whole thing (roof and zip on sides and ends). Our Campomatic hard floor trailer could be folded up with the awning on, but only just - a very tight fit - no way would the annexe walls have ever fitted into the trailer fold up. Also, quality canvas folds up small when it is hot and takes much more room when it is cold - just doesn't collapse as easily into a space saving size). We gave the Aussie Swag a close inspection before choosing our Campomatic - in my view, the AS was a robust, very good unit overall - but the Campo had a design feature or two that suited us better at the time.
AnswerID: 502017

Reply By: Member - Grant - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 21:40

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2013 at 21:40
Hello Jodie.
You've got a fair reply from your forum. I guess it's because people get attached to their campers. I agree with most of the posts above. The Cub and Aussie Swag are at different ends of the spectrum. You pay for quality.
Aussie Swag, Kimberley Kampers, Ultimate, Complete Campsite are all in a class above the rest. There are others as well in this class......Cubs aren't but they still do a great job.

Where are you going and what will you be using it for, that's the first question. Otherwise you could be wasting your money.

If you want something that will go anywhere, take endless corrugations, eg Chambers Pillar to Finke, Gibb, Mitchell Falls trak, OTL,... and easy set up, you'll need to pay for it.

I would consider a second hand Kimberley Kamper with the quick set up awning. It's attached all the time and takes no time to set up. I'd also consider an Aussie Swag.

Good luck.
AnswerID: 502062

Reply By: Member - Min (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 17:34

Thursday, Jan 10, 2013 at 17:34
We bought a new Aussie Swag Classic in 2001. It has been all over the place. The only problem we had was last year when we didn't do it up properly and the kitchen slid out on the horrible road out of Dalhousie Springs. John has fixed it.

As stated earlier the old Classics were very low and I can see right over it when I'm driving. I love having all-round vision. We try not to take unnecessary junk but manage to take every thing we need in it and the Prado (including an inflatable sit-on-top, oars, pump, etc.). We carry nothing on the roof-rack. Love it!

Min
AnswerID: 502157

Sponsored Links