Motorbiking Around Australia 2014

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 31, 2013 at 17:15
ThreadID: 101397 Views:1961 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I'm doing this trek in MAy/June 2014 with three other riders and support vehicle, and was hoping to get some great advice about places to see, places to stay (or not to stay) and any issues that can occur on some long stretches of road--ie lack of fuel, and other possibilities..

Any advice is appreciated..

Plan is leaving NSW Central Coast (Gosford), down highway to Melbourne, Torquay, Great Ocean Road, into Adelaide, cross Nullarbor, down to Albany, then Margaret River, up coast to Broome, across to Katherine, down to Tennant Creek, Mt Isa, Longreach, Barcaldine, Emerald, down the range to Esk, cross over to Surfers, and then Pacific Highway back to Gosford..

If any other rider has done this any information will be gratefully received..

Also hoping to catch up with any other explorers doing this route at the same time..

cheers
Muz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - blackbird1937 - Sunday, Mar 31, 2013 at 19:15

Sunday, Mar 31, 2013 at 19:15
Hi Muzman .In 2005 I rode about 16000 Kms.around OZ camping on my own, I went from Melbourne to Townsville. I had bike serviced at Rising Sun Honda. InnisfailNormanton Cloncurry 3Ways Darwin Kakadu Broome Pt Hedland had tyres fitted. Back to Marble Bar Auski Roadhouse York Perth Bunbury Esperance Quorn Tailem Bend. I had no trouble with the Honda Blackbird and carried 5 litres of fuel but did not need to use it even for the 320 kms from Broome to Sandfire Roadhouse. My longest day was 1300 kms Mt Isa to Mataranka. a few days around 1000 Kms. I suggest you go to Mataranka also to highest bar in NT at Larimah Hotel and Daly Waters Hotel. I really enjoyed my trip on my own and met many fantastic people who would not have spoken to me if there had been a group. It was a great ride and experience. If you want more info of my trip I will be happy to let you know. Peterpan formally Blackbird 1937.
AnswerID: 507930

Follow Up By: ctaplin - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 00:41

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 00:41
Hi Blackbird 1937, you no doubt had a great trip. But with the huge distances that you covered each day, riding past many nice places. My advice is to slow down your travelling style and take in some of the scenery, surroundings as you also missed plenty of great attractions along the way..
I also owned a Blackbird and rode it from Adelaide to Darwin return in 1998 with much the same mindset, so the missile you're sitting on may cause the need to travel so quickly and not allow time to look around? Mind you it was great fun back when the NT had unlimited speed limits being legally able to use the bikes capability!
Also, when you're a lone bike rider everyone is happy to chat to you, but not so willing when riding in a group.
Chris
FollowupID: 785269

Reply By: Muzman - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 07:39

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 07:39
Thanks Peter and Chris, all good points.

My plan is to do no more than 800km day but allow time to look and see things along the way.

Day 1 and 2 is basically freeway/highway with stops at some "big attractions)
Days 3/4 will get me to the Ferry in SA, so ned to be vigilant about timings (anyone done teh ferry crossing in SA?)
Day 5-6-7 will get me to Perth where i plan to stop for a day and do bike service and wash clothes etc
Day 9-10-11-12 will get me to Broome for another stop

Day 14-15-16 will get me through Mataranka, LArrimah, Daly Waters
Days 17-18-19 aim to stop for another day at Longreach
Days 21-22-23..down to Surfers
Day 24 to Coffs-another stop
Day 25 home...

Aim to change a set of tyres once and oil change every 4000kms...

My main issue is accomodation/fuel in some of teh remote areas...Im planning on camping out, but peeps with me like some sort of accomodation thats only 5 stars not 5 million star!
AnswerID: 507939

Reply By: grant t1 - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 08:22

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 08:22
Whats the " ferry crossing in SA?"

Mount Isa underground tour is good
The Min-Min museum tour is good
AnswerID: 507943

Follow Up By: Muzman - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 13:32

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 13:32
The SA Ferry crossing is from Port Wakefield to Powell, cuts a huge section of road off teh ride...

Done the Min Min Tour--never saw those lights at Boulia though.hehehehe
FollowupID: 785307

Reply By: mbw650 - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 11:18

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 11:18
Muzman,
A lot will depend on the type of bike, range capability and how motivated you are to turn your trip into an adventure. As you will have a support vehicle available, that will make it possible to turn your trip into a really memorable event.
I did the trip around oz on a Kawasaki W650( loose copy of a Triumph Bonneville ), it was the least suitable bike for the places I ended up going. But if I hadn't used it I would never had the adventure of a lifetime, so it looked a bit sad and sorry at the end but did the job without too many problems.
I did Flinders Ranges, Yardie Creek, Gibb River Rd, Wills Development Rd and Cape York and they made the trip truly memorable. But I did 26,000ks in September to December, and the timing of your trip, weather and a bit of luck will affect your plans.
Feel free to email me if I can help you with any specific info.

Regards

Mark
AnswerID: 507953

Follow Up By: Muzman - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 13:35

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 13:35
Hi Mark,
im on A kawasaki Versys 650, semi off road bike..so can handle most terrains...range is 300-400kms depending on my right hand throttle!

Plan is to have an adventure!

Trying to go in the dry season to avoid teh washouts and possible isolation...

will keep you in mind for any further information..

did you have any issues with repairs, tyres, breakdowns etc?

cheers
Muz
FollowupID: 785309

Follow Up By: mbw650 - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 19:56

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 19:56
Muz,
My range was limited to 250kms maximum, so I pushed the bike 7ks into Nullabor roadhouse as the prior roadhouse listed on maps was closed down. I reached Broome with the intention of going via the tar route originally, but after coming from Sydney and doing places like Flinders Ranges, Yardie Creek ets on my own I couldn't miss the Gibb. People told me I wouldn't be able to cross the Pentecost River, but I figured if it was too deep to cross I would back track and go via tar after having a great adventure and meeting great people.
As it turned out the river was low enough to cross, my plan B was wait for a 4WD and tell them I would follow in thier wake and hope they didn't stop !
I travelled with the Kawasaki factory tool kit, 2 spare tubes, 1 can of inflate and repair goo, compact canister pump and a 5l fuel container that I added after the above issue.

Starting from Sydney, I wore out 1 rear road tyre by Perth and had problem getting one the right size so had a motocross tyre fitted.

Perth to Katherine I wore out the motocross tyre and managed to get another motocross tyre.

Katherine to Sydney finally wore out the front road tyre.

Hit soft sand/bulldust a couple of times and bent gear change that I fixed hammering back into shape with some rocks.

Biggest problem was being let down by Kawasaki dealer in Darwin, booked a service a month before I arrived and told them it would need valve shims. Picked up bike at end of day payed through teeth for a full service, and when the charge went through on my card was told they couldn't get shims in Darwin anywhere. Walked out bleep off, got some next size larger shim than I needed off a Honda dealer up the road and hand lapped them in campsite with a borrowed set of tools.

Regards

Mark

FollowupID: 785342

Follow Up By: Member - blackbird1937 - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 09:36

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 09:36
Hi CTaplin. I was on a very tight schedule during my round OZ ride in 2005. I enjoyed the scenery and all the places I camped. Rode via Warialda Texas Milmerran Kumbia. I was at a bike rally at Tingoora 13/15th Aug to Townsville for Vietnam Vets day with my bro in law at his last as it turned out. Spent 3 weeks riding around the area Ravenswood Hervey Range rd etc and with my mother which was 4 months before she died. To Karumba via Innisfail Georgetown. Really enjoyed Ubbirr and the Escarpments also Merle campground. Was at WA m/c rally at Bunbury 23/25th Sept. I think I know a little about travel as I have travelled ever since I was born over 75 yrs ago. Was on m/bikes before I was born as my father and mother both rode bikes. They had a Panther 600 sloper outfit after I was born. Went to IOM 2007 centenary races as well as Silverstone. We are leaving for a extended trip around OZ shortly. Also we hope to go to well named Hellfire Pass in Thailand plus other areas. My partner has said we will travel until I am too old to drive. I was driving low loaders shifting and operating plant 4yrs before buying my 1st caravan in 1964 We still tent as well having just spent 5 weeks tenting Blue Mountains Yerranderie Tamworth country music festival New England area. I hope that you have an enjoyable and well travelled life like I have. My father was right saying it does not matter what you have done no one will believe you. He was told the same after he rode horses from central Vic to Charleville and back in the 1920s.

FollowupID: 785373

Sponsored Links