Visiting Karijini, MUST visit

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 02:29
ThreadID: 104371 Views:2677 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,
We have the opportunity to travel to Karijini NP in October :-)
Travelling from Perth, we would like to know the MUST visit places between Perth and Karijini and the MUST see places to visit while in the park.
We would love to have more than the two weeks we have available ...... it is the best we can do and all advice from seasoned travellers and their experiences will be greatly appreciated!!

Regards,
Wayne & Sally.

PS Why does the Explor Oz spell check NOT recognise "Karijini" ??
Or "Explor" ....as in Oz??
W&S.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kanga1 - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 07:09

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 07:09
Hi Wayne and Sally, on your way up, the Monastry in New Norcia, old buildings in Cue and Mount Magnet, Walga rock, Big Bell, we stay at the Dales camping area (our preference) See everything in Karajini, seriously. If you have time drive up Mount Meharry ( Highest point of WA and an interesting drive) Just north of Tom Price is Mount Sheila ( Terrific views) So much in that area to look at. Enjoy your trip, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 518342

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 14:48

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 14:48
I second all that..... just enjoy your trip.

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 798176

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 17:44

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 17:44
hi wayne 60
I went in 1997 july and still would like to do it again but for me October is far too hot
it was hot enough in july but everyone to their own look at the tempts on the w.a tv news/weather reports nightly and you will see what I mean
all of the suggested places are all good
if you do it in October be prepared to get out of bed at day break and do the climbs into the gorges in the cool and rest up or travel during the heat
its very energy sapping in the heat
cheers
FollowupID: 798186

Reply By: gbc - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 07:59

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 07:59
It's just around the corner, but Millstream is a very pretty place and different enough to be on the list.
AnswerID: 518344

Follow Up By: rooster350 - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 09:55

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 09:55
Another vote for Millstream, wonderful place....that homestead is in great condition and the the camping area is very good, the camp kitchen was spotless when we were there, a credit to the people looking after the place.
FollowupID: 798149

Follow Up By: Member - Terry W3 - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 22:12

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 22:12
We went to Millstream last weekend and yes we ARE going back very soon. We came down from Port Hedland and went in that way and came back out via Karratha.
FollowupID: 798211

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 14:50

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 14:50
Millstream is back on our bucketlist, we went there back in early eighties but it sounds so different now, will be interesting to go and check out the difference.

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 518366

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 16:15

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 16:15
Wayne a drive up to Drillers Ridge which is on a track off Weano Rd is well worth the drive as it takes you up high and there is an old telecommunications tower which you can climb up to a deck (even better views).

Mt Meharry is a good drive via Juna Downs. There are a couple of jump-ups on the track up which now have chicken tracks around, and some of the shale is a bit loose in places. Great-must-do drive and the views make you think you're in a plane.

On the drive up the highway B4 you get to the southern road into Karijini there is a 24hr parking area at Mt Robinson. There is a track that leads out the back of the bitumanised area that leads to a track that you can drive to the top of Mt Robinson. Fantastic drive and fantastic views (don't be put off by how close the track is to the edge).

Off the Tom Price/Paraburdo Rd there is Bobswim Waterholes - fan-bloody-tastic spot.
Your maps won't show th etrack in that follows the creekline to th ewaterholes but you can't miss it.

In Tom Price there is Mt Nameless to drive up as well to give you commanding views over the town and mine site.

Other option is to head north via Gascoyne Junction that way you get to do the Kennedy Range, Mt Augustus and then a short drive to Tom Price from there via the Dooley DownsPingandy Rd and Ashburton Downs Rds.

Great country out that way no matter which route you choose.

Cheers

Dunc

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 518371

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 16:46

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 16:46
I lost my reply when the forum went down for me as I submitted Grrrr.

Within Karijini visit all the gorges. We did all the main walks, but skipped on some classed as difficult. Also go to Hamersley Gorge which is accessed form the west side as it is different. We heeded that advice and did not go to Wittenoom Gorge although I would have loved to see it.

Expect it to be hot in October. Our visit was in May and it was taxing doing some of the walks in the heat.

The whole inland Pilbara area is beautiful.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 518374

Reply By: hooks - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 22:25

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 22:25
Hi Wayne & Sally

The two places that I have been too are the lookout at the end of Joffre Gorge. Here is the junction of 4 gorge systems. a spectacular outlook. There are various walks in the area ranging from easy to experienced. There is a good dirt road into this location. Also near by is Joffre Falls, which can be viewed from above or you can reach the river below the falls, via a rough walking track. Good swimming there.

The other spot approx. 20km to the East via the Kalamina Gorge Road is the Kalamina Gorge lookout and falls. Again spectacular and its a rather easy scramble up the gorge system and you could spend an entire day or two in these spots.

If you do go walking take some morning tea/ lunch, water or cuppa and good walking footwear etc..
You will really enjoy Karijini.

Bob.
AnswerID: 518394

Reply By: equinox - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 23:11

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2013 at 23:11
Hi W&S,

Like others have said Millstream is just great, and Mount Augustus and the Kennedys.

Here's a video I put together of Karijini from 2009, must get back there one day (when I can get someone to look after the dog).

I stayed at the Eco-retreat for 3 nights and found it to be quite pleasant.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 518400

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 02:53

Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 02:53
Hi Everyone,

Time does not permit me to thank everyone that has replied .... Sad.

We DO appreciate your comments and suggestions ................

When time permits, there will be a detailed reply.

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.
AnswerID: 518403

Follow Up By: sub - Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 15:54

Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 15:54
go past Bells Rapids and see what it looks like with water in it.ha ha .of all people i would have though you and Sally would have been to Karijini .
We were there 3 years ago and would love to get back there.
Sally will love it for photograpy.
enjoy
regards srddean
FollowupID: 798271

Sponsored Links