Road Conditions - Camerons Corner - Tibooburra - Bourke

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 16:14
ThreadID: 104729 Views:5893 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
Just starting a post to advise a trip completed last week. The reasons for this is when I was doing my research, I found it difficult to find up to date information.
We've just returned from towing a 24".6' Full size caravan from Melbourne to Broken Hill, then onto Camerons Corner, then back to Tibooburra and then over to Bourke before heading back down the black stuff to Melbourne.
Our tow vehicle was definately capable being the 200 series landcruiser, but our van is best described as a dirt road tourer, not a 4WD off road van .
The roads were rough in places, but with care and around 26-28psi in the tyres, the offroad conditions were handled with ease.
The roads taken were Silver City Hwy from Broken Hill to Tibooburra which has many dirt/stony sections, one stretch which I recall was over 30kms long - total trip time for this section - 4hrs
We then turned left onto Camerons Corner Road, which changes to Toona Rd, Waka Rd, then back to Cameron's Corner road - total trip time for this section - 2 hrs.
After staying in Cameron's Corner for a night we returned to Tibooburra for a night, then left for the 7 hour drive from Tibooburra to Bourke through Wanaaring on what Google Maps calls the Bourke Hawker Gate South Road.
The trip was fantastic, the scenery just sensational and now has me hooked on getting off the black stuff with our rig.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 16:30

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 16:30
Your post is timely for me. Can you recall the elapsed driving time from Broken Hill to Cameron Corner. I went slowly last time and can't recall the times.

Did you go via Pool's grave and the Cairn?

AnswerID: 519738

Reply By: Blue Sky Chaser - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 16:43

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 16:43
Hi Mate,
We left Broken Hill at about 7:30am on the Silver City Hwy and made it to the Camerons Corner turnoff (just 2 minutes before Tibooburra) at about 11:30am.
That travel time included a break for a cuppa and a toilet stop.
We had lunch here and left at 1:00pm and made Camerons corner exactly 2 hours later at 3:00pm with no stops via the road mentions above (Toona Rd, Waka Rd etc)
So total elapsed time was 7.5 hours and this was in my view taking it easy (ie 60-70kms on the gravel and 100kms on the black stuff)
Can't comment on the places you mentioned - if you look at Google maps and ask for directions to Tibooborra and then Camerons Corner, this is the exact way I went.
Regards, James
AnswerID: 519739

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 19:13

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 19:13
Thanks for that, Just what I was looking for.

thank you
FollowupID: 799993

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 16:57

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 16:57
Well done sir...we covered those roads in May with our "dirt road" poptop, & followed up with Innamincka..Walkers Crossing..Plenty..then GCR...all with no issues. There are those that wouldn't attempt those roads in less than a Kedron /Bushtracker, but
with adequate preparation & sensible driving attitude they can be easily traversed by
most rigs, as you have demonstrated...happy travels..cheers.....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 519742

Follow Up By: Member - johnny woofl - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 21:14

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 21:14
Member-John and Louise.
Well done, we left Broken Hill after Easter, via Camerons Corner,Innaminka via the Old Strezleki Track, on to Cordilla Downs and kept going toBirdsville enjoying it all the way towing a Millard Pinnicle with a 200 series Toyoto. Next it was across the Plenty to Alice Springs and the West M'Donalds then up to Darwin ,returning back to Katherine across to Timber creek down to Top Springs then a great drive to Rabbit Flat and a dusty trip to Alice Springs. Still going we saw Uluru and the Olgas and headed west to Lenora and onward to Geraldton.
The Millard took it all with ease ,we went with tyres down to 25-30 on dirt and speeds from 60-80 on good dirt back to 40-60 on bad dirt to one section from Cordillo Downs on took 5 hours to do 75k's mainly as it was very washed out from rain but would love to do it again to camp on a waterhole we passed.
These roads do not need Trackers/Kedron but do need sensible driving and control over speed.
FollowupID: 800006

Reply By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 22:36

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 22:36
Thank you Blue Sky Chaser for this thread and for the comments of the other contributors. And Hi Barry.
This discussion is of infinitely more value than 1,000 posts advising to "drive to the conditions". You have between you given a very clear indication about how to go about driving in those conditions and the kind of equipment that you can do it with. "30 km in 4 hours" couldn't say it more clearly.
Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 519769

Reply By: coonick - Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 14:08

Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 14:08
hiya BSC , did you happen to be at Cameron corner on the 30th Sept ?
The day was around 36 and our group chatted to you I think, blue 200 ?
We were 4 cars a rodeo, a GU and 2 rangers.
Anyway if it wasn't hope ya had a good trip.
AnswerID: 519862

Follow Up By: Blue Sky Chaser - Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 15:16

Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 15:16
Hi Coonick - No, not us, we were only their for one night in the 8th Oct.
Best Regards, James
FollowupID: 800155

Sponsored Links