Townsville to Newcastle NSW

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 03, 2013 at 20:01
ThreadID: 105364 Views:2513 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I will be driving from Townsville to Newcastle between Christmas and New Year. We will be driving up next week via the coast as we need to stop at the Gold Coast.

On the way back was thinking about taking the kids inland. The first option appears to be Townsville - Charters Towers - Emerald - Roma - Moree etc. The other option is Townsville - Rockhampton - Miles - Goondawindi.

Both appear to be similar in distance and time with the first route being more 'remote'. What are peoples recommendations on routes or places to stop at along the way. Any advice or input is appreciated.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Wednesday, Dec 04, 2013 at 07:07

Wednesday, Dec 04, 2013 at 07:07
We live 3.5 hours north of Newcastle in Tamworth, we have done the trip to Townsville a couple of times, in two days, stopping off at Emerald overnight.

If you want to do it over 3 days, perhaps make it Goondi and Emerald, or Moree and Emerald?

It thought the route via Emerald was shorter and quicker, certainly good road surface a couple of years ago. Though it would be hot, if you are into visiting National Parks, Carnarvon Gorge is always special to visit if you had a full extra day
AnswerID: 522535

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Wednesday, Dec 04, 2013 at 12:18

Wednesday, Dec 04, 2013 at 12:18
Hi Tate,
It would depend om the weather and the forecasts around that time of year, I would imagine, as to what would be the best route to take.

We were up in that part of the world a few weeks back and the temperatures were a little warm then virtually anywhere inland and it is only going to get warmer between now and New Years.

If traveling with kids I imagine it will get fairly uncomfortable for them as well as yourselves in that case. We headed for the ranges around Toowoomba where it was cooler and were glad we did.

Plenty of places to see and things to do along the range if needed.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 522550

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Wednesday, Dec 04, 2013 at 16:39

Wednesday, Dec 04, 2013 at 16:39
good point Bruce - down the New England you'd expect to be a bit cooler.

Not wild about that route meself but see your point. If it really is hot, as both the other routes might well be, this might be preferable.
FollowupID: 803641

Reply By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Wednesday, Dec 04, 2013 at 16:27

Wednesday, Dec 04, 2013 at 16:27
largely a personal preference but I would go Emerald, Springsure, Roma, Nindigully, Moree - all of which are worthy of a stop. Lovely run down the Caernarvon Hwy to Roma too. Either way should be a good run, though. We live on the Central Coast and use both routes depending on destination.
AnswerID: 522555

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Dec 04, 2013 at 18:23

Wednesday, Dec 04, 2013 at 18:23
That remote area through Charters Towers to Emerald would make for a quicker more relaxed trip than down the coast to Rocky in the Christmas traffic.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 522562

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Dec 05, 2013 at 12:33

Thursday, Dec 05, 2013 at 12:33
After suffering a multitude of "stop-n-go's" on the Bruce H'way, about 18 months ago, I came back along the Burnett H'way, through Gayndah, Monto & Eidsvold, to Biloela, then across through Moura, Rolleston & Springsure, and up to Emerald.

It was a pleasant, quiet drive, with plenty to see(if you have the time), and only got a bit busy once we got near the mining areas, near Moura & Emerald. Was such an easy drive that we went that way again this year, when going down to Hervey Bay & Brisbane.

Just be aware that while Emerald has heaps of motels, most, if not all are booked out much of the time, and at times accommodation can be very scarce!!!

You could always go Goondiwindi, Dalby, up the Bunya H'way to Kingaroy, Murgon etc.
This might be a cooler option too, if it's particularly hot next week. One other thing.......decided to buy fuel in Gayndah, last year and went to the Choice servo, thinking it would be cheap(as Choice in Barcaldine is) and ended up paying as much as we do here in Winton!

Enjoy your drive,

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 522591

Sponsored Links