Gibb River Road May 2014

Hello Fellow Members
We are planning to travel GRR starting from Kununurra approx end of May. Although we have and still are researching we would be interested in any info, hints & tips from members who have travelled the GRR. Also the "must see's' in Kununurra.
Thank you in Advance
Lewis & Leanne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lloyd W1 - Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 22:43

Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 22:43
Hi Lewis & Leanne,

We did the GRR last July and here's my thoughts.

We didn't spend any time in Kununurra so can't help there but as for the GRR goes our musts sees would be El Questro was excellent, Home Valley OK, Ellenbrae fantastic scones but OK camping, King Edward River/Mitchell Falls awesome, Mornigton Wilderness Camp fantastic, Charnley River good, Silent Grove camping OK, Bell Gorge beautiful, Windjana Gorge excellent, Broome nice but over run with grey nomads at that time of year (July).

We also made it to the Bungles and we loved it so if you have the time make sure you get down there and spent at least a couple of nights there.

All in all our Kimberley experience was fantastic and would go again in a heartbeat, GRR was a mix of good through to rough but the Kalumbarub Road was pretty rough except for the stretch that had just been graded, road out to Mitchell Falls was pretty rough too but worth it, we camped at King Edward River.

All up we spent 2 weeks on GRR which felt like the right amount of time for us with seeing a lot without feeling rushed.

Hope this helps and enjoy this beautiful part of Australia, it's a long way from everywhere but well worth the effort.

Cheers, Lloyd
AnswerID: 528422

Follow Up By: Member - Lewis Lee (WA) - Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 22:57

Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 22:57
Thank you Lloyd ! Much appreciated
FollowupID: 810953

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 22:46

Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 22:46
Been to Kununurra twice...hope to go again...features for us were the zebra stone gallery, the Hoochery distillery, lake argyle, the impressive ancient geology (ripple stone everywhere) and the 'winter' weather - the Bungles are not too far away and the 5 rivers lookout up at Wyndham is impressive. As for the Gibb....Anne at Drysdale River Station has a fair bit of info on that site re travel in the Gibb RR area....links there can connect you to the regional tourism sites that cover that road's attractions.
AnswerID: 528424

Follow Up By: Member - Lewis Lee (WA) - Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 23:01

Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 23:01
Thanks Darian. Haven't looked much into Kununurra yet so thank you for the info :)
FollowupID: 810954

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 23:25

Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 23:25
Agree with other comments - we liked it so much a couple of years ago that we're going back again this year (missed the Mitchell Plateau last time, and regretted it ever since).
In addition to others' comments, we rated the camping and walks at Manning Gorge very highly, as well as Tunnel Ck which you can do from Windjana. I reckon a couple of weeks is the minimum for GRR, esp if you want to go up to Mitchell Falls.
Agree that if you are staying at Kununurra, the trip down to the Bungles is a must, plus going out to Wyndham (plus there's great swimming at a deep gorge on the way), and also spending time on Lake Argyle.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 528426

Follow Up By: Member - Lewis Lee (WA) - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 10:16

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 10:16
Thank you Wildmax. We were meant to do Bungle Bungles in 2013 but unfortunately had to change plans. Think we might have to incorporate it into our itinery now.
FollowupID: 810977

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2014 at 14:36

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2014 at 14:36
If you are going out to Wyndham, note that last winter diesel was 20c/l cheaper than in Kununurra. Not a reason to go especially as it would cost you more than you would save, but if you are going anyhow, don't fill up beforehand :-) [It saved us ~$50]
FollowupID: 811885

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 00:58

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 00:58
Hi Lewis and Leanne

This Gibb River Road trip is the best of the best in Australia.

The must do in Kununurra is the Triple J boat up the Ord to Lake Argyle and return by bus - or the other way round. We were lucky to get the run up which is the reverse, and not available all the time.

You can check My Blogs 2008 or through my profile for all the main places to see on the Gibb River Road and the side trip to Mitchell Falls and Kalumburu.

Purnululu is another must see.

Tips? Take you time and enjoy; 100 kilometres a day is plenty to travel if the road are mediocre, and it is usually less than that between stops anyway.

I am happy to answer further questions of anything you would like more details about.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 528432

Follow Up By: Member - Lewis Lee (WA) - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 10:21

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 10:21
Thank you Motherhen for your info, will go in & check your Blog...we are hoping to spend 3 weeks from Kununurra to Derby & will be taking time to smell the Roses from top to bottom.
Thanks again
FollowupID: 810978

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 18:21

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 18:21
It took us just over three weeks, including Mitchell Falls and Kalumburu, and we only saw the main places, with a 100 kilometres into Mornington one we chose to skip. We took it easy and had a relaxing trip.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 811032

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 01:18

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 01:18
We travelled west to east on the GRR in 2011.

Here's my blog entry: GB in a BT: Gibb River Road

In Derby/Broome see if you can get on the day trip doing the Horizontal Falls. Best thing we've ever done.Horizontal Falls
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 528433

Follow Up By: Member - Lewis Lee (WA) - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 10:24

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 10:24
Thanks Gone Bush, will checkout your blog.
l
FollowupID: 810980

Reply By: i'machocoholic - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 08:31

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 08:31
The "must sees" are all very personal as I wouldn't miss anything if I had time to see it. Try and work out what type of camper you are, will you stick to the main icons or get off the beaten track, are you a station stayer or prefer free camping, etc. You need to ensure you are self sufficient.

Road conditions will vary so don't speed, adjust your tyre pressures and enjoy the journey.

If you are considering staying at stations, my latest mail is Charnley River Station has closed this year. Hopefully that's not permanent as it's an amazing place.

Please feel free to visit our blog for some ideas, we will head up again this year, our 4th trip since 2011.

Enjoy!

Gibb River Road

Gibb River Road 2012

AnswerID: 528441

Follow Up By: Member - Lewis Lee (WA) - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 10:33

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 10:33
Hi I'm achocoholic
We love Free Camping & will be as prepared as we can for remote camping, we have set ourselves up quite well. Will check out your blog too....thanks for your info oh yes & we can't wait to hit the road.
FollowupID: 810981

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 09:09

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 09:09
Also heading to the Kimberley/GRR mid May/June.

Have planned our trip using the bountiful information from Birgit's Kimberley Australia Travel Guide

You can obtain some information for free, but I paid the $27.50 or so for the downloadable PDF files to fully plan our trip and have reference at hand which I have produced in hard copy and loaded the PDF file onto a tablet we are taking with us.

Oh boy! Just 7 weeks to lift off!
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 528449

Follow Up By: Member - Lewis Lee (WA) - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 10:37

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 10:37
Thanks Bill. We are off to the Perth Caravan & Camping show next weekend & will be grabbing all the info we can there for this trip. Might see you on the GRR. We have about 8 weeks till lift off.
FollowupID: 810983

Follow Up By: Lloyd W1 - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 12:08

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 12:08
We also paid for and used Bridget's guide which was excellent, well worth the few dollars.
FollowupID: 811001

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 09:28

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 09:28
Hi Lewis and Lee,

There is an excellent website here to help with your research, if you havent already seen it. Apart from what others have suggested (all places already mentioned are well worth going to and exploring), the Kununurra region has some additional places to see. Keep River NP is a little gem, and the Duncan Road circuit down to Halls Creek and back to Kununurra via the Bungles takes in some very nice gorges (Marella Gorge was the highlight for us). The JJJ cruise up the river from Kununurra is excellent. The Ord Irrigation scheme has had a chequered history but just taking a drive around the area shows the variety of crops grown.

We have a couple of blogs about our trip in 2008, starting here

Its an amazing part of the country, take your time if possible and have a great time.
If you are readers and/or into Australian history read "Kings in Grass Castles" by Mary Durack before you go to give you some idea of what has taken place in the pioneering days.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 528454

Follow Up By: Member - Lewis Lee (WA) - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 10:42

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 10:42
Thanks John & Val
Thanks for the info. I can us being very busy. If we don't get to see it all this time we will just have to do it again
Leanne & Lewis
FollowupID: 810984

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 21:34

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 21:34
Lewis and Leanne

I am doing the GRR in May/June this year. My third time and looking forward to it.

A good site to research your trip is:

http://www.kimberleyaustralia.com/

Hope you have a great trip.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 528513

Follow Up By: Member - Lewis Lee (WA) - Thursday, Mar 20, 2014 at 21:42

Thursday, Mar 20, 2014 at 21:42
Thank you for the link.....May see you on the GRR. ??
FollowupID: 811377

Reply By: Member - OzBadDude - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 23:28

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 23:28
Hi Lewis & Leanne!

Look for us too. There will be seven of us packed into our dark grey Land Cruiser pulling a camper trailer. We will be heading out of Kununurra onto the GRR in the last week of May and taking eleven days to get to Derby.

I guess you will be in the rig pictured in your post?

OzBadDude
AnswerID: 529131

Follow Up By: Member - Lewis Lee (WA) - Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 08:33

Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 08:33
Hi OzBadDude
We will be heading out around the same time ?? did you realise the Ord a River Muster is on from about 16/5-26/5 ? We have decided to miss that this year & plan another trip to incorporate that as we want to spend a few days in Kununurra relaxing, site seeing & stocking up before heading in to GRR, we are thinking accommodation might be a challenge. Yes we will be in the rig pictured with a few moderations but we proudly display the ExploreOz sticker across the the top of the windscreen so you won't miss us. There are 4 of us, the other vehicle is a Blue Landcruiser towing a Bushtracker. Sounds like you guy's are going to have a blast ! We can't wait !!! I reckon we might see you there ! ??
Lewis & Leanne
FollowupID: 812152

Follow Up By: Member - OzBadDude - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 15:31

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 15:31
We'll look out for you!
FollowupID: 812408

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2014 at 07:39

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2014 at 07:39
There is a track called the Karunji Track that circumnavigates the Cockburn Range. It is only a short drive in from tythe start of the GRR.Well worth taking it in. We got a map and permission fom Emma Gorge. There may be a cost because it goes through El Questro property. WE had camped at El Questro and it was included in the fee. You can make it shprter by joining from Wyndham near the Diggers Rest place. It has some magnificent mountain views. We took all day and had the sun at our back all the time.

And we found Home Valley a better place to stay. Cheaper than El Questro and best of all not as crowded.

This trip was in 2010. Parts of the file "Australia" by Baz Lurhman, were made on the northern flats of the range. I was told that he stood on the rock in front of our car in the photo below and chose that place.

Phil

AnswerID: 529138

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2014 at 08:13

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2014 at 08:13
I missed the timing.

It took us all day to drive from El Questro (about 8AM), anticlockwise around the track and then to Home Valley (about 4PM).

Phil
FollowupID: 811829

Follow Up By: Member - Lewis Lee (WA) - Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 08:37

Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 08:37
Thank you PJR for the info....lovely pics.
Lewis & Leanne
FollowupID: 812153

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 08:58

Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 08:58
We also saved up for months and did am 8 day cruise up the Kimberley coast in MV Diversity. Sight seeing, swimming, fishing and saw all the coast including Mongomery Reef and the Horizontal Falls. Only six passengers (two from near home who knew us) and a 100' catamaran. Superb. It was once in a lifetime thing and I hope that you can stretch the budget that far. The Kimberley coast in magnificent and the fresh water pool and waterfalls are tops.

Phil

Album link:

FollowupID: 812155

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 09:00

Saturday, Mar 29, 2014 at 09:00
That didn't work. Try this:

http://s905.photobucket.com/user/vk1dx/library/Kimberley?sort=3&page=1

Phil

Kimberley trip on Photbucket.
FollowupID: 812156

Sponsored Links