Carnavon Gorge

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 07:49
ThreadID: 10680 Views:1776 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Am going up to Carnavon Gorge in July school hols.
2 questions:
1. Presumably I should book soon, is the National Parks or the Takarakka Resort the better (4wd campertrailer and kids) ?
2. With only 1 week for the trip (out of Sydney) is it worth trying to visit the other remoter sections of the park (Salvator Rossi) etc or do you need a bit ot time to get into those ?
Many thanks
Brad.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 12:17

Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 12:17
Brad are you planning 4 or 6 days to do round trip? Either way dos'nt give you much time there to look around unless you leave Sat & arr home on the Sun . As to accom don't know as we hav'nt been there.Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 47510

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce (San Diego) - Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 13:01

Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 13:01
Brad,

It's a good two day trip in each direction, which leaves only 3 days at the Park, not much time to look around. Not too sure if you can get through to the Salvador Rosa section without going around the long way.

Many years ago I worked for a while on Cungelella which is on the back end of the park and we had grazing rights on about half a million acres of the park. Boy that was nearly 30 years ago.

If you go look out for the Macrozamia moorei (big palm looking plants)
and tell the kids they are some of the oldest life forms on earth, around with the dinos.

Bruce

FollowupID: 309527

Follow Up By: Brad - Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 13:57

Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 13:57
Thanks Bruce and Bob,
Yeah, I figure 2 days each way and I might be able to pinch Fri thru to the following Sunday which will leave me the 5-6 days in the middle for looking around. I suspect that that is not enough time to see the other sections but I'm just fishing to see if there are any 'must see' features in the other sections whilst I'm up there (or on the journey). I'll look out for the
The takarakka resort looks good on the website (camping sites set amongst the Macrozamias no less !! ) whereas the National Parks looks only about what you would expect :-))
Cheers,
Brad
FollowupID: 309531

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 18:08

Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 18:08
Brad,

Carnarvon Gorge is one of the most magical places in Australia and therefor it is very popular. As you are going at the busy time of year it will be essential to book.

We did the Salvator Rosa section coming in from Tambo and then out via Springsure. It is an easy half day drive but when we were there the corrugations were shocking along the Dawson Developmental road. This was a while ago so things could be better now. You could ring the Tambo Information Centre for up to date road conditions.

Enjoy.

Cheers
Willem
Little Dip Cons Park S.A.
AnswerID: 47526

Follow Up By: Brad - Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 18:45

Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 18:45
Thanks Willem,
Did you go go to the 'main' Carnavon Gorge section...and if so where did you stay (and what was it like ) ?
It sounds like its pretty tightly controlled now as to the camping options.
Regards,
Brad.
FollowupID: 309553

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 19:17

Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 19:17
Yeah, we walked most of the closer walks in the main section. Did not camp there though...don't like crowds. We went down the road towards Roma and found a place to camp in a gorge. Can't remember where. At one stage the NP camping area was closed and a commercial camping area was built closeby. Do not know what the situation is right now. Best to check out Queensland Nat Parks on the net and go from there.

CheersWillem
Little Dip Cons Park S.A.
FollowupID: 309557

Follow Up By: Brad - Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 19:18

Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 19:18
Thanks Willem
Regards,
Brad
FollowupID: 309558

Reply By: terryo - Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 20:19

Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 20:19
Brad
Stayed at the Takarakka Resort in Oct last year pretty busy even though it wasn't school holidays. Best to book.
They have night time activities such as talks and walks etc.
The national park camp ground is only open in QLD school holidays but is always booked out.
If you walk to the end of the gorge you won't feel too enegetic the next day,so get plenty of walking in before you go. It is about 20km return I think.
If the resort is booked out there is a farm about 40 km away, before you get to the gorge, that takes the over flow. My brother and family stayed there in the QLD school holidays in Sept as the
Resort was booked out and they hadn't booked. He recommended the farm as they make you feel part of the family. I would stay at the resort over the national park if you have a trailer as we did.
We had nearly finished our holiday by the time we got there so can not comment on driving to and from but at least two days I would say with kids.

Terry
AnswerID: 47539

Follow Up By: Brad - Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 20:47

Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 20:47
Thanks Terry,
I was inclined to think the resort would be better than the 'government job' and I think you have confirmed that.
Regards,
Brad.
FollowupID: 309561

Reply By: Member - Frank - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 12:16

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 12:16
The end of school terms they dont seem to teach after exams? just do outings and things ask the kids do they want a couple of extra days and nick off early ( ask thier teachers you my even get an extra week )CBS
Cant Bl**dy Sitstill
AnswerID: 47586

Follow Up By: Brad - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 13:20

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 13:20
Inclined to agree.....however on this occasion its my work which will be the difficulty.
Cheers,
Brad.
FollowupID: 309595

Reply By: lazylcd - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 13:21

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 13:21
we did penrith (west sydney) to canarvon gorge np, in 15hrs, two 4bys two drivers, via putty road, goondawindi, roma, it was a big push, but its doable, then camping areas are cramped, and it wasnt even shcool holidays (sept 03) we only walked the first couple of k's in the main gorge, as we were on our way up the cape, definatley want to head back for a better look at some stage
AnswerID: 47594

Follow Up By: Brad - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 13:33

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 13:33
Thanks lazy...
We'll do the 15 hrs drive over 2 days I think, and we'll have to put up with the crowds it seems - hopefully it will be worth it.
Regards,
Brad
FollowupID: 309596

Sponsored Links