Strzelecki track - Birdsville - Route options

Submitted: Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 16:12
ThreadID: 107894 Views:2082 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
Heading to the Simpson Desert in a weeks time. Much discussion about which route we should take from Adelaide to Birdsville (crossing east to west this year after doing the reverse last year).

Is it best to go via Cordillo downs or Walkers Crossing to Birdsville from Innamincka?

Also suggested camping spots along the way. Will have 2 nights.

Thanks Helen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Treading Lightly - Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 16:32

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 16:32
Hi Helen,

Just got back (2 weeks ago) We headed up via the Googs Track (from Ceduna) 3 days, then on to Coober Pedy via Glendambo. Next stop Mt Dare on to Birdsville then Innaminka via Walkers Crossing. After a 2 day stop at Innaminka when then went up to Coongie Lakes for two days then back to Innaminka , then on to Thagomindah then headed home (Sydney) via Bourke some 6500Ks.

All in all a great trip, good weather, but the BLOODY FLIES, I have never seen so many, and AeroGurad and the like seems to attract them.

JD
AnswerID: 532962

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 17:48

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 17:48
JD was there much water in Coongie lakes? Also where were the flies? Heading that way in 2 weeks.
FollowupID: 816282

Follow Up By: Treading Lightly - Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 18:01

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 18:01
Hi Bookbook,

Yes Coongie had heaps, all roads open and dry. The flies folloed us virtually from Ceduna but got worse the further North, even the locals said they where the worst they have seen.

JD
FollowupID: 816283

Reply By: Dr Hook - Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 17:25

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 17:25
G'day Helen;
I'm taking a group from Adelaide to Birdsville and then across East-West, in July.

We are going up the Birdsville Track, camping at Clayton on the way (a long first day!)/
However, I've travelled the Strzelecki before and stayed at Innamincka many times.

If you want to look around Innamincka on the way, I'd suggest you go from Lyndhurst (lots to see there) up via Mlntecollina Bore (nice campsite) and on to Innamincka (check out the sites) then back via Gidgealpa to Walkers Crossing (provided it is open: it's not shown on the SA Gov Outback Roads website) and then take the "Inside track" (Goyder's Lagoon: only partly shown on the Gov Website, as "Closed", but it has been that way for years, despite being quite easy most years) to reach Birdsville via Pandi Pandi Station.
(Check out the mention on "Buy-This" Pat's website at http://www.mr4x4.com.au/index.php/latest-news/167-birdsville-inside-track-re-opened - but you'd still need to check if there's water blocking it half-way up, so allow for a return back to the Birdsville track of blocked).
The Cordillo Downs road is much less interesting and can be rough and/or stony.
Cheers and have a great trip
Dr Hook
AnswerID: 532963

Reply By: Les PK Ranger - Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 19:03

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 19:03
Hi Helen, we too traveled that section in reverse after our W-E crossing recently.
Was an easy day drive from BV to Inna, where we camped at Cullyamulla waterhole (beaut spot).

We went via Walkers Crossing.

Don't recall any stand out camp sites, we lunched at the crossing itself, taking shade in trees a the creek by the new fancy bridge (not yet in use by the looks, or they open it up when creek is flooded ?).

Another poster on a forum (might have been here or 4WDA) remarked they have camped at Walkers itself, but we didn't really go looking for sites as we were travelling through, there might be something nice if you drive off for a look.

Haven't traveled Cordillo, but I believe there are nice campsites either side of the property itself, which is no camping . . . ok to visit their famous shearing shed though.
AnswerID: 532966

Follow Up By: Helen D2 - Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 19:44

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 19:44
Thanks. First night we're hoping to get to Montecollina Bore from Adelaide. Big day but it means the next two can be relaxing.

Guess i'd better make sure we pack the fly nets. Nothing worse. I remember they were pretty bad same time last year when we crossed the desert.

Very much looking forward to a week of no work, phones or internet :-)

Oh, and the sunsets!
FollowupID: 816287

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 06:49

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 06:49
If you drive to Montecollina Bore day one, the next 2 days, there to Inna, and Inna to BV will be easy 4 hr and 6 hr drives, travelling at an average safe speed.

As Phil G said, Farina is a Beautiful spot too at the moment, like camping on a bowling green !!

Other pics of travel to / from, features on the Ood Tk, Old Andado side trip, the crossing ad travel back via Walkers / Inna here . . .
https://plus.google.com/photos/106964412619734833356/albums/6007119001847277281
FollowupID: 816309

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 20:42

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 20:42
Helen,
With just 2 nights, we'd normally camp at Farina and somewhere north of Clifton Hills, then plan on arriving in Birdsville around lunchtime - Gives you time to have a look around the sights of Birdsville and fill up before heading west in the morning.

If you go via Innamincka and Cordillo, you won't have time to see anything along the way - and normally that would be 4 days (3 nights) driving.
AnswerID: 532975

Reply By: Member - Dough Boy - Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 23:42

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 23:42
Hi there
We travelled the Walkers crossing road last year, about this time
The road was in great condition, only drama we had was getting thru to Innaminka as the signage was poor and our GPS got lost ! Everyone we spoke to told us that the Cordillo track was very heavily corrugated
Food for thought !
Cheers
Doughboy
AnswerID: 532987

Reply By: The Landy - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 06:30

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 06:30
I travelled the Cordillo Downs Road (Birdsville to Innamincka) about three weeks back, quite corrugated in places, but no worse than I have known it previously. Just drive to the conditions...

If travelling the Walkers Crossing track bear in mind that Santos have got tracks going everywhere making picking the right one challenging, at times!

Enjoy your trip.
AnswerID: 532991

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 06:41

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 06:41
Yes, follow the MAP, and use your odo to get your turn distances right.
GPS is good only for direction through that section after Walkers !! (Or take a compass.)
FollowupID: 816307

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 06:48

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 06:48
Oh, going Inna to BV you won't have as much trouble, you are more or less led into the right route.
FollowupID: 816308

Sponsored Links