Flinders ranges station camping

Hi

Travelling up towards Marree and probably spend a few days in the Flinders. Looking for some recommendations on good station camping options. Have looked at Station Stays SA but wondering about other travellers experiences.

Many thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: lizard - Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 21:45

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 21:45
We enjoyed Willow Springs - site #1 takes caravan - rest are too difficult - great country - Sky Trek was great
AnswerID: 537213

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 07:18

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 07:18
Yes, Many options at Willow Springs, from Hut style accommodation (need to book ahead) or bush camping, both near the homestead with shower and toilet facilities, to the more remote campsites accessible via side tracks. There are some beaut campsites at the end of some tracks which give extra privacy and peacefulness as no vehicles are traveling past. These sites usually have a water tank style drop toilet which are kept in good condition.

Love it there and in fact am considering another trip during the October long weekend.

Skytrek is a great option if you haven't done it before.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 821510

Follow Up By: Jarse - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 17:41

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 17:41
I'll second Willow Springs. Spent a week there in April and had a ball. Amenities are basic, but kept spotless by the staff. If you camp near the homestead and camp kitchen you get a little noise from the station's diesel genny between 6am and 10pm. Other than that - highly recommend it!
FollowupID: 821532

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 19:04

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 19:04
agree Willow springs .....if your camping stock up on wood you get to the finders ....
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 821538

Reply By: locked hilux - Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 22:17

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 22:17
Beltana is great say hello to Graham and Laura. lots of 4wd track there too
AnswerID: 537217

Reply By: Rick (S.A.) - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 11:22

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 11:22
Lottsa places exist:
Warraweena & Alpana are two of my favourites.
Try the Mt Buggery Gorge drive on Alpana - or ANYwhere on Warrraweena
AnswerID: 537243

Reply By: RobAck - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 19:05

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 19:05
Plenty of choices and depends on how long and what you want to see. The Flinders is basically divided up using the Leigh Ck road and the centre road through the ranges from Hawker to Blinman then North to the Arkaroola Rd or via Glass Gorge back out to the Leigh Ck road. So you need a map of the area to work out which way you want to go in the first instance

Heading up the Leigh Ck road there are several choices all with access to great 4WD tracks starting with Merna Mora station and the Warraweena and beyond. If using the centre road then Rawnsley Park is a great place to use or Willow Springs or even Blinman where you have plenty of choices

As you only have a few days I suggest you pick a spot that is centrally located and it all depends if you are camping or want a bit more comfort

Regards

Rob
AnswerID: 537265

Sponsored Links