Which way to go?

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 at 19:24
ThreadID: 110720 Views:1949 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

We are off to Fraser in March, leaving from Adelaide,and wondering if it's best to go through Broken Hill or Mildura? Is one way any better than the other?

cheers
Brett
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 at 19:43

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 at 19:43
They are both good sealed roads. Depends on if you want to sight see on the way. Not many towns along the Barrier Highway. Use Google Maps to compare distances and times.
AnswerID: 544195

Reply By: Ron N - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 at 21:46

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 at 21:46
Brett - There's not much difference in total travel time, but a lot of difference in what you see along the way.

The interior route is less crowded, more boring stretches, and probably flatter.
The routes closer to the coast are hillier, more scenic, and have more traffic.

The missus and I drove Adelaide->Horsham->Bendigo->Shepparton->Narrandera->West Wyalong->Gilgandra->Coonabarabran->Tamworth->Glen Innes->Warwick->Brisbane->Hervey Bay->Fraser Island in 1994 in my 80 series, and we enjoyed the route - despite the "horror" New England Hwy section (which was pretty bad then).

I understand the New England Hwy is a pretty good road today. But I would still do it again.
The inland routes carry less traffic and have less traffic lights, so that makes driving less stressful and less tiring.

Adelaide to Hervey Bay - route choices

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 544204

Reply By: Mikee5 - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2015 at 12:14

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2015 at 12:14
We have found Broken Hill, Cobar, Bourke, Moree, Goondiwindi, Dalby, Kingaroy the shortest/quickest with least towns or reduced speed limits, all roads are pretty good. All that country should be greened up at the moment.
If you want dirt, turn onto the Tilpa road after Wilcannia, shorter still.
AnswerID: 544230

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2015 at 19:38

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2015 at 19:38
I certainly would have come back that way (Bourke - Willcannia) yesterday / today as I normally do, but all the dirt up there is closed right now.
Really wanted to follow the Darling further to Wentworth this time and camp Lake Menindee and see the junction of the Darling / Murray.

As it was, I did Toowoomba - Moree - Dubbo - Newell, Sturt, and Mallee Highways home, 24hrs over 30hrs total, a 5 hour sleep, and the other hour a couple of little breaks and a countery at West Wyalong late yesterday :)

I did BNE - ADL drive late last Nov too via Broken Hill, but only this way if I can do the Darling stretch, hate the big zig zag on the blacktop.

Both ways are pretty much 2030km odd, and 24 hours drive, and Google maps is almost spot on with blacktop distance / times.
FollowupID: 831374

Reply By: BrettP - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2015 at 12:44

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2015 at 12:44
Cheers for the info guys....will probably go thru Broken Hill on the way and come back the other as we are heading down to Pt Macquarie onthe return trip.

Thanks
Brett
AnswerID: 544233

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2015 at 19:40

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2015 at 19:40
Nice drive up the coast Brett, went that way up to Brissy last Nov (slow and easy) and also again 3rd week Dec (but the last time as a day drive from Sydney).
FollowupID: 831375

Sponsored Links