Kingsborough - North Qld

Submitted: Monday, Mar 16, 2015 at 15:09
ThreadID: 117087 Views:1957 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Looks like we may be travelling up to Kingsborough at Easter to join daughter & her hubby there for the weekend. Over 800 clicks from Winton via The Lynd, so you wouldn't want to be going for just one night!

Seems like there's quite a bit of history up there too, with old gold mining equipment at both Kingsborough, and Thornborough, about 5 kms away. Also not far to Mt Mulligan, so could venture up there as well.

Anyone been there, and got any "must see" areas?

Thanks,
Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Slow one - Monday, Mar 16, 2015 at 15:37

Monday, Mar 16, 2015 at 15:37
Bob,
yes there is plenty to see in that country. Spend a bit of time at Mt Mulligan as there is a lot of history and you being a horseman you may see some of the good quality brumbies around the mine. It is a strange area as the coal was extracted from under the ridge with a gold mine right next door.

The Tryconnel mine is excellent and they were still working the stamps for visitors last time I was there probably around 10 years ago.

You may want to go back via Mt surprise and Einasleigh as the rodeo will be on that weekend. Copperfield Gorge is worth a look and having a swim at the Einasleigh river crossing just out of Einasleigh is nice. You can swing back to the Lynd from there or go onto Forsyth and maybe cobbold george and then up to Georgetown.
AnswerID: 550067

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Mar 16, 2015 at 19:49

Monday, Mar 16, 2015 at 19:49
Thanks for the suggestions Slow. Sure to be plenty to see alright. The kids were at Mt Mulligan last year, so they might give us a guided tour?

Was thinking today about a different route home, so will give your idea some thought. A trip up past Chillagoe, Wrotham Park and across to Normanton is on the cards too, but will wait to see what young Nathan is going to do this week.

Thanks again,
Bob.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 835505

Follow Up By: Slow one - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2015 at 12:23

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2015 at 12:23
Bob,
have a look at the us navy cyclone page re the track of Nathan.

US navy cyclone tracking
FollowupID: 836606

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2015 at 22:40

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2015 at 22:40
Thanks Slow,

Hadn't seen that site before,

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 836642

Reply By: Members-Neil & Margie-Cairns - Thursday, Mar 19, 2015 at 20:50

Thursday, Mar 19, 2015 at 20:50
Staying at Tyrconnell mine is well worth it ,, Andy & Cate have great knowledge of the times of the area !!

http://www.australialesstravelled.com/propertyprof21.html

Make sure you ask about the Cob & Co crossing , the General Grant mine & quit a few other sites to see !!

All the best , Neil ..

Oh ,, and a night cemetery tour is well worth it as well if Cate still does them !!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 551222

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Mar 19, 2015 at 21:51

Thursday, Mar 19, 2015 at 21:51
Many thanks, Neil & Margie,

Looks like lots to see........Easter weekend just won't be long enough. :-)). Daughter 'n her hubby are organising the visit, so will be good to see them.

Never been in the Dimbulah area, so it's all new to us,

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 836709

Sponsored Links