What are the best camping areas in Kakadu?

We are heading up to Kakadu in July but not in our own vehicle. Hiring a camper/ 4wd toyota. Wondering which spots are best to camp with at least a drop toilet. We only have 6 nights. Also which spots have the least mozzies. Yellow Waters in 1983 had massive ones and zillions to boot. We had a caravan then as we were doing a full year loop, so not so familiar with what's what nowadays.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark C (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 19:19

Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 19:19
If in a 4wd camper defiantly do Gunlom Falls, Majok and JimJim falls for camping. Cooinda is a great base to visit the area but the national park camp grounds have plenty of mossies but are large and roomy.
Mark And Helen QLD
Living the Dream

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 551352

Follow Up By: Member - Mark C (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 19:21

Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 19:21
Sorry also forgot to say they will be crowded as every man hia dog and cat will be there. We visited in late August and early September and less people, a little warmer but still fantastic. Try and get to all the free ranger talks at different locations.
Mark And Helen QLD
Living the Dream

FollowupID: 836823

Follow Up By: John C43 - Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 08:23

Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 08:23
Hi,

I have a SUV rather than 4 wheel drive - it does have traction control but could it do the top end or is it 4 wheel drive country. I note you had a Challenger. If I took it would which areas would be restricted? Could I travel through Arnheim land?
FollowupID: 836839

Follow Up By: Member - Mark C (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 12:33

Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 12:33
You could see most in the dry but the roads are very corrugated and the suspension cops a hiding, You will need a snorkel and car bra for the twin falls road and low range with high ground clearance. To get to the Jim Jim falls camp ground an AWD will be fine if the road has been graded. Arnheim land needs permits and a high clearance car. Most of the Kakadu area is good sealed roads and good graded dirt roads.
Mark And Helen QLD
Living the Dream

FollowupID: 836859

Reply By: craigandej - Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 20:25

Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 20:25
Hi we stayed at Aurora Kakadu campground for a few nights, which was very quiet and not as many mozzies as Cooinda.

Cheers
AnswerID: 551357

Follow Up By: Jerscott - Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 03:58

Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 03:58
I'll second Aurora Kakadu--def. a great place to stay.
FollowupID: 836837

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 22:37

Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 22:37
Hi Christine and Lindsay

Mardugal (near Cooinda) was my favourite, although facilities similar with solar heated hot showers at Gunlom, Muirella and Merl have similar, but Merl is giant mosquito paradise day and night :O. Caretakers at Muirella when wewere there lit mosquito coils in the bathrooms each evening. We chose to stay a couple of nights at at serviced campgrounds Gunlom, Mardugal, Muirella and Merl campgrounds to allow touring in the vicinity. There were the least number of campers at Mardugal as it seemed many took the opportunity to get a powered site in the Cooinda Caravan Park. We spend one night at Gungural, a bitumised loop with pit toilet only.

If you would like more details of these I can send by member message or email.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 551362

Reply By: veight - Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 22:53

Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 22:53
http://laptop.deh.gov.au/parks/kakadu/explore/qr/

The above web address brings up a map of Kakadu. Your park pass costs $25pp for 14 consecutive days unless you are a NT resident then it would be free.

Managed campgrounds are $10 per adult per night, managed campground has flushing toilets and hot and cold shower facilities. Managed campgrounds are Gunlom, Jim Jim / Twinfalls, Mardugal, Djarradjin Billabong (Muirella Park), Merl campground, .

Bush campground $5 per adult per night No showers and have composting toilet facilities.

Then there are the Commercial campgrounds such as Gagudju Lodge Cooinda camp sites.

I would suggest Gunlom, Jim Jim / Twinfalls, Mardugal, and maybe one night in Jabiru, all depends on time & if you are doing a yellow waters cruise etc

Matthew
AnswerID: 551363

Reply By: Tomdej - Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 05:34

Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 05:34
Have a look at http://www.environment.gov.au/resource/access-jarrangbarnmi-koolpin-gorge

You will need to book but with limited numbers of passes issued and the stunning scenery this is a must see.

Even with only 6 nights I would spend 2 nights here.

Tom
AnswerID: 551365

Reply By: birdnerd - Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 17:20

Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 17:20
Hi Christine and Lindsay,
I am guessing it was fairly quiet at Kakadu in 1983. Not now! We went 2 years ago in June/July and whilst we loved it, there were lot's of people everywhere. Especially the place where you hop on the yellow waters cruise, the place was abuzz! Make sure you book in advance if you want to do this cruise as we missed out. We stayed at Aurora as well and found it to be quite nice, not too busy. We especially loved the 2 barking owls above our camper roosting through the day. No mozzies.Litchfield was the same if you are headed there. Busy!
Amanda
AnswerID: 551401

Sponsored Links