Station Stays in the Flinders ranges

Hi Guys,
I'm in the throws of organizing this years trip to the Mainland, we are heading for the National Gathering at Ross River, but thought we might go via the Flinders Ranges.

We thought we might do a couple of Station Stays, and was wondering if you could give us a couple of suggestions of ones that you have stayed at.

Thanks in anticipation.
baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 17:57

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 17:57
Have stayed at two:

1. Willow Springs who run SkyTrek - highly recommend it - nice place to stay, and the current version of SkyTrek is worth the effort (need a capable 4wd though) - allow a day to do SkyTrek

2. Merna Mora Station - on the western side of the ranges - not as speccy as Willow Springs, however was a nice place to stay and a number of self drive tours on the station including a run along the old railway and a run out to the eastern side of Lake Torrens
AnswerID: 552172

Follow Up By: Member - Don & Kathie M (TAS) - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 19:00

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 19:00
Agree with Merna Mora. We stayed in their self catering accommodation. The various tracks were full of interest. Enjoy your time in the Flinders.

Kathie
FollowupID: 837745

Follow Up By: GarryR - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 19:15

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 19:15
also check with Elders or similar rural group as they have a list of stations that will offer stays either as camping on property or the use of shearers quarters if needed at a very minimal cost. The cook and I have taken this type venture on various occasions. The worth of knowledge that these people have offer on the surroundings and further is enormous. Note that this is not really advertised much, as these stations would be over run with campers, and they only want to operate low key with minimal fuss. I hope this is food for thought, as it also helps out the remote stations that people bypass, gives them a helping hand, as you get a history lesson of the area and advice on what is great to see, and alternate routes that are not open to the general public.
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 837746

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 19:16

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 19:16
There are many.
The Argadels.
Warraweena.
Rawnsley.

Do a search on private 4WD tracks. Most have camping too.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 552177

Reply By: Crusier 91 - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 20:29

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 20:29
Depends which way you are heading to the Flinders, how quick you want to get to QLD
and how far you want to travel between stations.

We always head via Orroroo (fuel and supplies stop) and stop at http://www.bendlebyranges.com.au/ 45min from Orroroo. Great camp with clean long drops, good 4wd tracks and plenty of wood supplied for camp fire.

This way is a nicer drive than going through Port Augusta.

Then you can head into Hawker (fuel and limited supply stop) 1.5hrs from Bendleby via the back dirt roads which are good in condition. Don't forget to try Quandong Chocolates (its Cadbury milk chocolate too :)

Merna Mora http://www.mernamora.com.au/ is 30mins north of Hawker, camp across the creek from the main accommodation and power sites. There has been a small transportable erected with mains shower and toilet.

2.5hrs further up the hwy is from Merna Mora ishttp://www.warraweena.com/ . 45mins off the hwy from Beltana Roadhouse (beltana roadhouse is shut for good) You will go through the historic Beltana town, really worth a look and the old mining town ruins just out of Warraweena. The road into Warraweena can be impassable if they have had lots of rain, other than that its good. Warraweena has a few secluded unpowered sites next to the dry river bed with huge gums (Prospectors site recommended no long drops). Showers and toilets available next the homestead 1min away from site. (you need to book and getting hold of Stoney can be difficult as he works in the mines, but dont let that hinder.

Stop at Prairie Hotel for a counter lunch, its a 5 star hotel accommodation on the way to Leigh Creek.

Leigh Creek, back out to the hwy from Warraweena and 45mins north (fuel and supply stop).

Thats as far as I've been

Cheers

AnswerID: 552183

Follow Up By: Crusier 91 - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 20:31

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 20:31
Forgot to mention all the stations mentioned above have great 4wd tracks ranging from very easy to medium with great views
FollowupID: 837753

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 22:32

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 22:32
Angorichina Station is another, to the east of Blinman, not to be confused with Angorichina Tourist Village to the west of Blinman. Angorichina Station is actually very close to Angorigina Hill. See Angorigina in Places for the locaion. Extremely confusing.
The station has a camp site with a long drop toilet. There are hot showers and flush toilets at the shearing shed but you need to drive there from the camp site.
AnswerID: 552191

Reply By: Member - Chooky and Wobble - Thursday, Apr 09, 2015 at 15:49

Thursday, Apr 09, 2015 at 15:49
We are thinking about a trip to the Flinders and wondering if there os somewhere to board our dog while we tour the park or if there is enough to see without entering the park?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 552222

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Thursday, Apr 09, 2015 at 17:40

Thursday, Apr 09, 2015 at 17:40
The Flinders is a HUGE area but the 'heart' is National Park.
You would miss some of the highlights if you missed the Park.
I don't know of any boarding for dogs, but I would call some of the stations that offer camping.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome.
FollowupID: 837805

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 09, 2015 at 19:28

Thursday, Apr 09, 2015 at 19:28
I 2nd Peters comments - to not enter the park is to miss a fair chunk of it. Maybe look for day kennels from somehwere like Hawker

couple of possible links

http://www.doggyholiday.com/horse2.htm

http://www.thegreynomads.activeboard.com/t38512542/daily-boarding-for-dogs/
FollowupID: 837812

Reply By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 09:01

Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 09:01
Try this link matehttp://www.stationstayssa.com.au/ all you need right there. Cheers Toni
AnswerID: 552378

Sponsored Links