brisbane to melbourne - what's the best way?

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 21:18
ThreadID: 12302 Views:25134 Replies:13 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
i figure it's either the new england, the newell, or the pacific...

will be driving during the day (mon,tue,wed)

only requirement is that i get there in 3 days.....

to my untrained map reading eye the newell looks the most direct route... but what sort of road is it? interested to hear others experiences - speed of route, quality of road, things to see and do, scenery, etc.. (suggested places to stay?)

cheers,

KG
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Pete G - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 21:37

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 21:37
KG

Newell is Most Direct - you will have to share with the truckies. If you go the NE then ditto. The Pacific in the day - watch out for all the grey nomad snails towingt btheir shells behind + reubbernecking on their first real adventure!! no pun intended for those on this site. . Best choices are either NE or Newell unless a snail pace is dictated.

Not surf of your age or ability Tamworth to Mlb is a day trip for us. Bris to Mlb is at least a 2 day trip. On the Newell stop at West Wyalong. Via the NEH suggest Bris to Wellington on day 1.

Regards

Pete G

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 55586

Reply By: Mrs Diamond - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 21:42

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 21:42
gday kg.
we just came back from qld to melbourne.
we usually go up the newell and come back down the pacific but this time we went both ways on the pacipic.
1st reason was the price of fuel is so much cheaper on the pacific.
most we payed for lpg was 55cpl the average was about 45cpl
last time we went the other way most lpg was over 60cpl.
2nd reason with the partrol and camper it takes a while to overtake we find the pacific has far more duel laneway than the newell.
theres also a lot more rest areas to sleep at on the pacific,.
3 days is plenty of time to do the trip comfortably.
our first over night stop was at gundagie then it was to taree the next day easy driving with plenty of stops.then it was of to brissy.
on the way home it was brissy to sydney easy drive then sydney home .
2 days is quite easy but 3 days is better.
if your not in a hurry and looking for things to do while your driving take the newell because theres a lot more to see and do.
theres the big satelite and forbes or parkes great for the kids and theres the huge zoo at dubbo there an easy day betwwen each.
or down the pacific theres plenty of little towns and big to spend some time looking around.
ballina is a lovely spot and port mc quarie is a nice spot to stop for lunch stop in at gundagai and check out the dog onthe box lol.
most of the highway is in great condition on the pacific with plenty of 110 speed limits.just watch the permanantly mounted speed cameras in nsw but they do tell you that there there not like here in vic
AnswerID: 55588

Reply By: Member Eric - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 21:49

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 21:49
Will only go pacific now , due to 2 lanes , less towns and more rest stops . 3 days is taking it easy , if you dont mind 900 kms a day , you can do it in 2 , use Sydney as a half way stop if you want to give it a a go in 2 days
AnswerID: 55590

Reply By: Sparkie - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 22:00

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 22:00
Brisbane to Melbourne- Whats the best way?

Heading south would be a good start ;-)

Other than that I have never done it but, SORRY, couldn't resist making my comment.

AnswerID: 55592

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 22:52

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 22:52
onya sparkie :-)
FollowupID: 317460

Reply By: stevesub - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 08:20

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 08:20
We always use the Newall. Truckies are not a problem as they travel at the same speed that we travel at. Fuel is not really an issue for us as we can do the trip with ine fuel stop only in the Troopy.
AnswerID: 55620

Reply By: GaryW - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 09:27

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 09:27
Have done both Newell & Pacific - If getting there the easiest and quickest way is the goal the Newell IMHO is far better(albeit boring) Passing slower vehicles never been a prob as road is generally dead straight - plenty of time to pass. Have done it in one hit once (during school hols when there was no accomodation - have since bought camper trailer so won't happen again) best done in two stints - about 20-22hrs driving time on the speed limit. Dubbo is a good mid point but accommodation is more expensive. Peak Hill is cheapest fuel.
AnswerID: 55623

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 09:43

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 09:43
Bris-Melb = 19 hrs driving time, accounting for minor roadworks and slowcoaches via the Newell.

I can do it solo in a day and a half (13+6) stopping Narranderra or Moree.

Most of the Newell is 110 km/h through NSW. N.E. is 100 km/h and a bit more limited in safe overtaking opportunities. Pac Hwy as noted above.

If you want to take your time then have a look at the Moree springs, the Parkes "dish" (great for kids, if you've got a DVD player in the car, play the movie first..."Oh WOW") and also the Dubbo zoo ("Western Plains Zoo").
AnswerID: 55624

Reply By: srowlandson - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 13:34

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 13:34
the smart answer is easy.... on board Qantas :D
AnswerID: 55643

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 15:36

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 15:36
KG,
I was born and bred in Narrandera & know that part of the country pretty well. The others that said this would be the best way are IMHO, quite correct. The truckies are very good for the most part and most of their travelling seems to be done at night (although this has probably changed since I was a lad).
It is an easy drive from Narrandera to Melb in one day, so that could be your 2nd night's stop. First night probably Moree. Watch the roos early morning and evening. Not sure what fuel prices are like but I reckon even if it's a bit dearer, you'll use less anyway as this is the most direct route with the least number of gear changes and hills etc.
Have a good trip down.....
Of course, getting back to Brisbane won't be a problem.....all the roads out of Melbourne are the best thing about that place...LOLOL (sorry to all you Mexicans).
AnswerID: 55659

Follow Up By: Mrs Diamond - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 16:40

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 16:40
Of course, getting back to Brisbane won't be a problem.....all the roads out of Melbourne are the best thing about that place...LOLOL (sorry to all you Mexicans).

funniest thing ive read in a while specially cosidering your from sa.
hahahaha.
at least we have roads leading in and out unlike sa where they didnt bother puting roads in because no one would bother visiting theres nothing there hahahahaha
FollowupID: 317623

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 16:09

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 16:09
I usually just run straight up the newel and camp the night in the warrumbungles . 2 day trip but tiring if only one driver. could do 3 days easily.. good road , some good sights, some dead boring straights.

x-cab lux - nice... :-)
AnswerID: 55662

Reply By: keith m - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 17:40

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 17:40
Also consider the Kidman Way. It's a bit longer...about 300k... but I prefer it to the Newell.
AnswerID: 55669

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 17:06

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 17:06
I usually take the Newell... I figure that I'd rather die instantly if i have a headon with a road train than lie at the side of the road for hours while waiting for an ambulance battling the inconsiderate morons who won't pull over on the Pacific. Mind you the Newell can get deadly boring but I think its a faster road than the pacific. Nothing is more terrifying to SWMBO than towing our van thru Sydney on route 7. One other consideration is that you may meet my mother in law on the roads in Sydney..... TAKE THE NEWELL!!!!!!!!!!
AnswerID: 55767

Reply By: gerry - Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 20:51

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 20:51
Have done this trip with a camper a couple of times (the oldies live in Geelong). From Bris we go thru Toowoomba, Pitsworth and Millmerran to Goondiwindi (avoid Warwick and Inglewood) then down the Newell to Coonabarabran, then south to Mendooran ( a free overnight camping spot next to river, behind police station near pub) then on to Dubbo, thru Parkes, Forbes and West Wylong, Nerrandera and overnight at Finley CP, then its a quick run into Melb arriving about lunch time.
For a different way home, try Melb to Griffith, Lake Cargellico, Warren, Coonamble, Walgett, Lightning Ridge, St George, Dalby, Toowoomba and Bris.This route uses good roads (many with 110km limit) but takes in some very different towns and sights.
Worth considering.
AnswerID: 56875

Sponsored Links