High Country areas anyone lately??

Submitted: Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 23:46
ThreadID: 12711 Views:2677 Replies:8 FollowUps:28
This Thread has been Archived
Wondering if anyone has been to these areas recently with some track reports.

With tracks closing in June for winter, and interestingly enough, some already closed (Mt Stirling etc), wanna hit the HC for a weekend before, hopin for bleep loads of snow.

Our Roughy Plans are
Friday night
Sheepyard or Frys Flats

Day 1
Saturday
Upper Jamison -> Caledonia River -> Guys Hut-> Howitt Hut ->Lovicks Hut -> Bluff Hut -> Richies Hut -> Pikes Hut -> Pindaree Hut

Day 2
Craigs Hut -> King Hut -> Cobbler Hut -> Burnt Top Track -> Tomohawk Hut -> Top Crossing Hut -> Evans Crk Hut -> Merrijig
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 23:57

Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 23:57
not since x-mas
AnswerID: 57791

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 19:54

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 19:54
why not ?? :P
FollowupID: 319791

Follow Up By: Member - Toonfish - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 22:17

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 22:17
as u know i did aberfeldy/walhalla around easter had a ball , not many tourists come monday and only one for the whole weeekend off road.

if new job in the pipeline comes through i will have plenty of spare weekends though.

FollowupID: 319832

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 00:05

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 00:05
Truckster Haven't any idea as to conditions never been to HC, but trip sounds great would this be a full on weekend to cover all these places/huts, and if we took longer I assume there would be lots more to see. What would be the minimum requirement as to vehicle mods to handle a trip in the HC, in dry season, or would stock real 4wds be able to handle it, as it would make a good club trip.
AnswerID: 57792

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 00:55

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 00:55
Most of the Highcountry you can do in fairly stock trucks.

Some of the tracks we are doin require lift and MTs etc but will tell you after next weekend..

Hmmm sent digi camera back for warranty today, that was a bad move, but then again warranty ran out today! Need a camera for next weekend :(
FollowupID: 319554

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 00:57

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 00:57
If your thinking of a club trip to the HC with your club, why not send a letter with plans to the Nissan club in Melbourne...

We have done it before with other clubs from other states, shown them around as best we can, and then when we go there, do the opposite..

We can cater for what ever trucks turn up then, you work with what tools you have, EG stock or modified...
FollowupID: 319555

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 06:56

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 06:56
Truckster that souds like a promotion to me for the nissan club is that maybe free membership.

All the best
Eric
FollowupID: 319560

Follow Up By: Joe - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 11:07

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 11:07
Hi Pesty,
On a 600km High Country trip a stock standard Prado120 was ahead of me.
With carefull placement of wheels he was OK.
However his camping and supply loads were on another unit. On a number of times he still had to stop and shift rocks. etc.
I was also in our Prado 120 with upgraded suspention(40mm lift) and fully loaded up for the 7 days.
If loaded down with all the gear the standard setup would have problems with ground clearance constantly.
Hope this gives you a ref point.
Regards
Joe
FollowupID: 319575

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 12:30

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 12:30
I reckon everyone should promote their club!

Remembering you only get OUT of a club what you put INTO a club.

Thats whatbleeps me about a lot of any sports clubs - 90% of people just sit back and let "OTHERS" do all the work, that stinks. Soon you wear out those few people.

The Vic Nissan club (our new site - it isnt finished yet) isnt a bad bunch...

actually the Sydney Nissan club is also a gr8 bunch of people.
Both clubs offer properties, and driver training as part of membership... ALthough I think our membership fees are a little too much compared to other clubs

FollowupID: 319579

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 17:21

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 17:21
Sounds a bit like the Blues Bros movie you know hut hut hut hut hut hut hut, sorry cant help it , anyway serious question i would be interested on some info about this area that you are going to as we are going to Eildon for 2 weeks in early July that is if you can get to them at that time of year or unless it's a secret. oh someone told you used to race bikes, i'm a life member of Northern Districts MCC i have a funny feeling we have met.

Baz.
FollowupID: 319604

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 18:02

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 18:02
truckster you are spot on about clubs. I have started a club not related to 4x4s and got it off the ground. We ended up with about 40 members and I had to leave because of family comitments and then shortly after the club folded because no one would carry on with all the running of a club things.
Also invvolved in a soccer club swimming club and little athaletics and 4wd club and as you said only the same old faces put there hands up.
It can wear thin but I will stay involved until the kids out grow them.

All the best
eric
FollowupID: 319608

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 18:26

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 18:26
Truckster i am a member of toyota land criuser club I think the fees are steep but that includes the use of 2 club propertys and we usually get a resonable discount when we show our club card at a wide and varied lot of places.
Also they have a large amount of trainig courses.
So I guess if you use all the facilitys it works out ok

All the best
eric
FollowupID: 319612

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 01:15

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 01:15
Baz, I was in St George for 18 yrs in the 80/90s. :)

Probably
FollowupID: 319671

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 01:17

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 01:17
Extremely likely, was a member of St George MCC 18 yrs... You would know Snowy, Chris Baker to name a few from St George...
John Imrie was the man there wasnt he?

[ View Image]
That would be me on 84 outbraking some dude now racing in England..

[ View Image]
That would be me at first meeting at Eastern Creek ever, think it was NSW or Aussie Titles, cant remember
[ View Image]
That would be me on 140

[ View Image]
That would be me at Interstate Challange (NSW/Vic) at Broadford

[ View Image]
That would be me on Yellow TZR at Amaroo

[ View Image]
That would be me listening for the train at end of Oran Park Main straight, behind Jeff Thoroughgood.. wore the helmet that thin you could see thru the fiberglass.. that was at flat knacker on the KR1S end of straight, lost front end, around 200k's...
FollowupID: 319672

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 09:31

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 09:31
I used to do alot of work with Chris & helen at Eastern Creek when it first opened, and Snowy still see him from time to time works for Brabond at Hurstvile, after i finished road racing got involved in the organizing side of things and went back to doing enduro's and cross country i would put some pics up but i dont know how still learning this gismo but i will soon. hopfully we will meet sometime in the bush i'll be in Eildon for 2 weeks leaving Sydney on the 4th of july.

Baz. No78 or 88 250 RZ, 750 GSXR, H1 500 kwaka post classic, 600 SOS HON/SUZ currant stead KTM 400.
FollowupID: 319690

Follow Up By: John - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 11:47

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 11:47
Baz you should be able to recognize Truckster in the photos by the colour of his eyes.

Truckster did the photo showing you kissing the black stuff hurt ?

Great shots.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 319711

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 17:22

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 17:22
hey baz, yea Was on the NSW roadrace sub commitee for a while too, steve harley, keith greentree, and other old hacks ;)~
Know chris and helen very very well, nice people, adn snowy as you know, probably the nicest bloke I know, been into organising bike races for how many yrs, and hasnt had a bike for 20 yrs!

John, Dont really remember ;) was knocked out.

Na, no pain, just a slide didnt hit anything, (8 yrs earlier I think there was still a wall there, which would have been a different story ;)) but came to in the shed, with the car packed, sitting in the middle of the garage, dont even remember packing the car.. I didnt drive the car home either, didnt trust myself!
FollowupID: 319758

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 18:41

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 18:41
Truckster, was there a female rep on the committee when you were there. My last road race was at Wakefield Pk did the same thing flat out 200ks at the end of the straight last lap of practice/ qualifying, Saturday the day before race, spent 5hrs in Goulburn hospital.

Baz.
FollowupID: 319771

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 19:48

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 19:48
Do you mean the chick from race marshalls? Cant think of her name, was good friends with Craig and Chris...

Funny outcome to my crash, I ended up going to sutho hospital when I got home, (was seeing stars still!) and was sent home after many hours sittin there, and few xrays and a scan..

Week or 2 later the cops turn up on the doorstep to arrest me cause I refused a blood test (for .05).. after showing them the bike, photos, and hacked to death leathers, they still had to take me to the sty! 10 mins later after call to hospital to get the story from them, I had to hitch home as they wouldnt take me...

Did you go to the St George club days at Winton?

Ahhhhhhh, those were the days..
FollowupID: 319788

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 08:35

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 08:35
If she was short with red hair, yes Kerry is her name otherwise it was Marge, Craig and Chris do the GP alot, Malaysia too, i could'nt do St George days they always used to clash with Norths days i used to do dirt track as well if i was'nt racing i was helping, you know the story it was always the same people helping at all events everyone want to race but know one wanted to help thats the club thing. Bloody coppers sometimes they are unbelievable, i thought they only got involved if there was a fatality. I miss racing they were the days i used to love club days and interclub days too, no sheep stations to race for LOL. Trail riding with my mates now and traveling with the family in the 4b and trailer, good to catch up mate maybe we'll do it in person one day, have fun on your trip away.

Baz.
FollowupID: 319857

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 12:12

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 12:12
I also miss racing.. was horn, there was about 8-10 of us used to travel everywhere together competing everything we could!

Yea used to do the GP and superbikes things too, until I realised standing in the freezing at the Island and only getting 1 apple a small juice and pickled ham sandwich wasnt enough pay! So did it from other side of the fence.. Still get free tickets when I want them though :)~

I only live hour and bit from there now :) so its even better
FollowupID: 319876

Reply By: Member - KG (QLD) - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 08:13

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 08:13
Hi Truckster...

funnily enough I just got back from the high country... (and wish i was still there)

we did Jamieson's hut and the Howqua hills area last Monday / Tuesday. the track through fry's flat is closed - we had to back track about 6 hours back to sheepyard flat... wrens flat, jamiesons hut and sheepyard flat have some awesome camping areas.

didn't get to Craigs Hut as it was raining and it was not the kind of track i wanted to be on during bad weather. we ended up doing mt pinnibar, mt gibbo, mt anderson and down into tom groggin - bit of snow on the track and a nasty downhill run in the dark.... followed by crossing the murray in the dark (with no idea where the exit point was)

the one thing i did notice about the high country is how long it takes to get anywhere... i had dreams of doing 5-6 tracks in 4 days - ended up doing 2 and a half tracks in 4 days - track closures, bad weather, etc all took their toll.

also noticed a lot of seasonal closure gates that start on May 1.... highly suggest you ring the parks mob in vic and check on the track status - i could go on for hours about the place... (being from Vic you've probably seen it all before) PM me if you want any more info

some pics are at

http://users.bigpond.net.au/g00r00/Vic%20High%20Country/index.html

(still waiting on the films to be developed - this is the digi shots)

cheers,

KG
AnswerID: 57802

Follow Up By: Member - KG (QLD) - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 08:37

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 08:37
oh yeah... meant to mention i have ozi explorer track files (which i'll be putting into plotplace once i clean them up) - can email to you if it's of any use.

and one other thing - IT'S BLOODY COLD IN THOSE MOUNTAINS!!

cheers,

KG
FollowupID: 319563

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 12:47

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 12:47
Thanks KG, pretty much what wanted to hear, been up there numerous times in the past, but not for a while.

LMAO Im hopin for SNOW! Let alone cold.. ;)

Long range weather is for Brrrrrrrrr and WET... so hoping that = SNOW LOTS AND LOTS...

I'll be runnin my Simex's anyway, so that will help, might get Tubes fitted this week to allow for lower pressures safer.

on the TRACK CLOSURES this is the place to look for them... Its the parks website, usually updated, once a Eon.. but sometimes you can be lucky :)

Extreme thanks again..
FollowupID: 319584

Follow Up By: Member - KG (QLD) - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 16:39

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 16:39
cheers for that url... will come in handy if i ever get down there again (3k return trip just to get started is a bit of a hindrance)

awesome spot tho - i reckon i could easily spend a month in the area

one number you may wish to call is (02) 6071 5301.... i got the run around when checking on the status of the pinnibar track and ended up ringing this number (given to me by a parks vic drone)...

spoke to a bloke who obviously did a fair bit of 4wding himself... he didnt just tell me if the tracks were open or closed he also told me about when the majors were last graded, general track condition - camping grounds, etc.

i'm sure you'll have a great time up there... im jealous. BASTARD!!

cheers,

KG
FollowupID: 319602

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 10:15

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 10:15
Truckster, have you a weekend picked yet before it gets too much colder as it does look interesting? Have never been in that area in the 4by in this time of year.
AnswerID: 57816

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 12:36

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 12:36
Yup was supposed to be there this weekend, but mothers day etc.

so Next weekend it is..
FollowupID: 319580

Reply By: Joe - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 10:57

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 10:57
Hi Truckster,
I spent 7 days in many of those areas in Feb, and being dry no problem.
The Billy Goat Bluff track option up to Craig's hut was very very rough in places and one of the steepest longest climbs we did in the high country.
2 weeks after travelling it up and down it was reported as in bad condition by TLC club,in Melb magz.
Others have reported that it is still in bad condition, and some one rolled on it during recent weeks.
Due to it's steepness you may need to get some extra advice if it's wet, if dry it's spectacular. On the climb my wife was in tears and would not speak to me for ages afterwards,but she did apreciate the views.
It climbs to around 2,000M over around 5/6 km if I've got it right.
Enjoy your trip
Regards
Joe
AnswerID: 57817

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 12:54

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 12:54
Thanks Joe..

With the weather forecast, the laminated maps will come in handy I think, dont think dust will be an issue.

Heard about the roll over from a few people, but nobody ever found out any facts and didnt see anything in the papers etc, thought they would jump on them stories in a flash!

We are lookin for a few Challenges ;) and shall find 'em!

Thanks again!
FollowupID: 319585

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 14:41

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 14:41
Gaday Truckster. That's a big drive for a weekend esspecially if it's wet with some challenging tracks on your list that should prove fun. We did most of them at easter, found them dry & in pretty good condition. Rivers are still barely flowing yet.
The 30 cm of snow from last weekend is all but gone but we live in hope of another cold front.
Check the track closures for Lovicks over to King Billy. Not sure if it's on the early list as well? Have fun, Craig.....................
AnswerID: 57843

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 01:19

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 01:19
Yea also going to call the parks on Friday morning to see if I can get an upodated closures list..

Will be a GR8 weekend.. and yes BIG ;)
FollowupID: 319673

Reply By: Joe - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 18:51

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 18:51
http://www.images-australia.com.au/

Enjoy viewing my photo coverage of the High Country at my website above.

Regards
Joe
AnswerID: 57878

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 19:25

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 19:25
Excellent !! a special place i think and Tassie. A great site Joe thanks.

Baz.
FollowupID: 319630

Reply By: Nino & Kerry (VIC) - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 21:11

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 21:11
G,day Truckster.
I,ve often thourgt of doing the huts.You are obviously going to stay in the huts but do you think that you could tow a good off road camper up thru the HC. Sounds like you have done the tracks many times.

Cheers Nino.

AnswerID: 57898

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 01:12

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 01:12
you could do a Base Camp with a trailer, some tracks if you get stuck with a trailer would see you stayin there!
FollowupID: 319670

Follow Up By: Nino & Kerry (VIC) - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 21:43

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 21:43
Truckster,
Thanks.I,ll note that. Not the time of year to get stuck!
Cheers Nino.
FollowupID: 319820

Sponsored Links