Snowy Mountains Camping

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 12:04
ThreadID: 131544 Views:2349 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

I'm keen to go camping in the Snowys with a mate in a few weeks. We want to camp somewhere isolated near water that we can fish in. We do not like camping within easy reach of civilization, hence we often go camping in state forests where you can, within reason, set up camp wherever you like, have campfires, etc.

There's plenty of detail online about the campgrounds in the Snowys. My question is, what "bush camping" is available/allowed outside of these areas near rivers/lakes/dams/creeks/etc?

Thanks!

Brett
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: spanner1969 - Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 12:34

Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 12:34
Hi Brett,
Lots to consider in your question,
Where do you want to go, Snowys is a big area - if you have no idea, google these choices
-Tantatangera dam just south of Adaminaby, heading toward Tumut on the main drag, great camping and not far from the main road - unsure about bathroom facilities, as for isolation this is the spot, its a huge dam and your on your own
link - http://snowymountainsfishing.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21&Itemid=9

- Tom Groggin, past Threbdo, and right on the water with some good fly fishing, again not far from civilisation but can get busy over weekends, toilets are on site on north side of the water closest to road, other side of water is Victoria, and no toilets that Im aware of

Link - http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/camping-and-accommodation/campgrounds/tom-groggin-campground

Hope this helps
Paul
AnswerID: 595897

Follow Up By: EpicBP - Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 13:14

Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 13:14
Thanks Paul

Never been to the Snowys before, have no idea what's there, just want to go somewhere with a little altitude where it's a bit cooler than Sydney!

Really appreciate your suggestions, will look them up.

Brett.
FollowupID: 864658

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 21:53

Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 21:53
Depends on how isolated you want to be Brett. Lake Eucumbene has good camping and fishing but is popular, Tantangara much less so. And then for very isolated you could try Lob's Hole/The Ravine on the Yarrangobilly River. If you head the way of the latter two drop in to the Yarrangobilly caves, take in a cave tour (or do the self-guided) and have a swim in the thermal pool. Bit of a walk back up the hill but well worth it.
FollowupID: 864678

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 13:26

Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 13:26
It can get hot down there also! But cooler at night ! Michael.
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 595900

Reply By: Rangiephil - Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 16:19

Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 16:19
There are toilets on the Victoria side at Blackfellows/Stockmans Hut which is on the Tom Groggin fenceline.
This is a nice spot which is relatively secluded, but you have to ford the Murray at Tom Groggin to get there. You take a hard right after the ford, then a right at Dead Cat Tree T intersection.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 595905

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 18:15

Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 18:15
Just a heads up, that crossing at Tom Groggin, can get deep very quickly, with a bit of rain, if there has been rain, check it before you commit to it.. And I know, from experience, the river just down from the crossing gets narrow, deeper, and faster.. Just before the water fall.. Lol.. Won't tell ya about that one! Cheers Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 864674

Reply By: GarryR - Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 19:16

Thursday, Feb 04, 2016 at 19:16
Why not try Jingellic. Great camping on the river and fishing, and from memory allowed to camp there for a maximium of 4 weeks. I suggested his spot for my son in law, and he loved it, and this was only last wekend. There is also a good spot not far out of Tumburrumbra which is also on the river. I think from memory its called Paddy's Crossing about 17k's sw of Tumburrumbra
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 595918

Reply By: Member - Gary R M (VIC) - Friday, Feb 05, 2016 at 09:10

Friday, Feb 05, 2016 at 09:10
G'day Brett, Blue Wateholes about 25km down Long Plain Track is a nice remote spot. The turn off is not far from Yarrongabilly River towards Adaminaby.
Regards, Gary M.
Gary M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 595937

Sponsored Links