Gouldian Finches

Has anyone in their travels in the northern parts of NT and WA, in the last couple of years has sighted some Gouldian finches in the wild.

I'm heading over to the top part of WA in the second half of next year. Any other of the grass finches sighting would be a bonus also.

Thanks for any information at all.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Monday, May 02, 2016 at 21:09

Monday, May 02, 2016 at 21:09
Hello

I am lead to believe Mornington Wilderness Camp is good for them.

Also, maybe post your question on Western Australian Birders facebook page or birdswa Google group (both require sign up ..but in long run worth it).

Both these sites are frequented by some of the best birders in Aus so you should get the info you require quick smart.

Frank O'Connor also provides a very good summary of places to find particular birds in WA.
Frank O'Connor's Birding Western Australia

People also post sightings of various birds in WA here Birdlife WA sightings page

A quick look through the archives reveals no recent post on Gouldians but not everyone bothers to report.

Never seen them in the wild myself...but working on it.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 599447

Follow Up By: Member - Raymond J - Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 19:59

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 19:59
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the info I got a lot of good places to check out and I'll look up the sites you mentioned.

Thanks Ray.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 868714

Reply By: Member - JOHN C16 - Monday, May 02, 2016 at 21:33

Monday, May 02, 2016 at 21:33
Gouldian finches are regularly seen at:

Mornington Wilderness Camp. This is an Australian Wildlife Conservancy property located South of the Gibb River Road. There are often research ornithologists present who will take you on guided birding trips for a small fee. Gouldians are frequently sighted.

El Questro station. There is a bird hide on the Saddleback Ridge track where we have seen Gouldians daily at dawn.

Wyndham. This one is a surprise as it is a town. After rain Gouldians have been sighted in puddles in front of the town hall and even in the caravan park near the big Boab tree.

No Gouldians but near Wyndham is the Marlgu Billabong bird hide in the Parry Lagoons Nature Reserve which is well worth a visit.
AnswerID: 599448

Follow Up By: Member - Raymond J - Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 20:03

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 20:03
Hi John.

That part of the country will be covered in the brothers and my trip next year. I've heard of the AWC before and we more than likely pull in and check them out.

Thanks Ray.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 868715

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 00:16

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 00:16
20 years ago every place we visited in the Kimberley would whisper in our ears "and we have the rare and endangered Gouldian Finch"!!!!!
It became quite a joke.
Then when we got to Kununurra, you could buy a pair of them from the local pet shop.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 599455

Follow Up By: Member - Raymond J - Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 20:10

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 20:10
Hi Peter,

I used to breed about 30 species of aust and foreigns finches about 25yrs ago and i would like to see them in the wild. The brother said he saw them in the Kununurra area around 30 odd years ago, but I wanted a couple of other places as a back up.

Thanks Ray.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 868717

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 11:03

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 11:03
Not so rare and not only in the NT & WA … areas around Alpha - Barcaldine - Jerico - Aramac all have had recorded sightings of Gouldian Finches , Cattle destocking due to drought seems to play a part in numbers …..
AnswerID: 599460

Follow Up By: Member - Raymond J - Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 20:21

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 20:21
Hi Alloy c/t,

The brother and I came back home to Mackay last Sept through from Longreach - Ilfracombe to Mt Coolan via Aramac and lake Dunn. Did even realise they were there. Will do a bit of ringing around those's towns for sightings and may end up taking a trip and try and have a look for them.

Thanks Ray.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 868718

Reply By: LJME & LMG - Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 13:50

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 13:50
Saw Gouldians with other finches most mornings around 05:45 near Wyndham, at Parrys Creek Lagoon (at the waterhole in the camping area) and at the Zebra Rock mine, in the water trough.
Saw many finches including Crimson and Star, at Mornington and at Silent Grove near Bell Gorge, but not the gouldians.
AnswerID: 599468

Follow Up By: Member - Raymond J - Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 20:42

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 20:42
Hi LJME & LMG.

Will head to those's areas and try our luck. The brother and I crossed the Simpson last August and chased "The Wind of the Desert" as I named it to get a good photo of it. The bird was the White winged Wren, had to get a good photo in the sun. But I finely got one which i was happy with.

Thanks Ray.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 868721

Reply By: Steve in Kakadu - Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 17:04

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 17:04
I have seen them regularly at Jarrangbarnmi (Koolpin Gorge) or the Yurmikmik walks ( Motor Car Falls / Kurrundi Falls) in the southern park of Kakadu.
AnswerID: 599481

Follow Up By: Member - Raymond J - Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 20:51

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 20:51
Hi Steve.

I printed all the responses from the other people as well who wrote in, and I'll keep them in a folder so the brother and I have a base to work with.

Thanks Ray.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 868723

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, May 05, 2016 at 23:06

Thursday, May 05, 2016 at 23:06
We had Gouldian & Double barred Finches drinking from a water dish within a few feet of where we were camped each day at Bully's Camp (Djoodoon) up on the Dampier Peninsular. (Turn right immediately north of the air strip) - 4wd advisable (sandy). Was the only place we saw Gouldian Finches.
The river at Gregory downs was a good place to see Purple Crested Fairy Wrens.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 599585

Follow Up By: Member - Raymond J - Friday, May 06, 2016 at 21:44

Friday, May 06, 2016 at 21:44
Hi Cuppa

Thanks for the info, the brother and I will look it up as we're heading that way anyway. Hope we get lucky . I got a few photos of the purple crouned wren the last time I was at Adel's grove, that's not too far from Gregory Downs.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 868899

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, May 07, 2016 at 10:30

Saturday, May 07, 2016 at 10:30
I saw a flock of 20-30 Gouldian Finches on Thursday, Ray.................in a cage in the pet shop near Aldi, in Hervey Bay.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 599639

Follow Up By: Member - Raymond J - Saturday, May 07, 2016 at 17:10

Saturday, May 07, 2016 at 17:10
Hi Bob

Were they the Red, black or orange headed one. I've bred plenty of all colours but would like to see them in the wild.

Thanks Ray

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 868928

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, May 07, 2016 at 17:35

Saturday, May 07, 2016 at 17:35
There were a couple of different colour blends in the group, Ray, but can't recall with any certainty what they were,

Bob
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 868930

Sponsored Links