Good caravan spot in Kakadu ??

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 25, 2017 at 11:15
ThreadID: 134723 Views:2847 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Lots of travellers on this site will have already stayed at Kakadu National Park in their caravan. My wife and I are visiting their for the first time in mid May and are trying to decide where would be an ideal base location to put our van (13'). Your comments, thoughts and suggestions would be so much appreciated. Just basically looking for a name of a park/camping area, perhaps the cost etc. We have done Darwin and Litchfield before so are basically looking for something central (if possible) between say Pine Creek and Jabiru. We don't necessarily need power to our van.
Any comment most welcome.
Many thanks, Wayne and Julie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2017 at 11:25

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2017 at 11:25
Cooinda is pretty good. Plenty of room, but it's first in, best dressed!

Unreal showers & pretty clean amenities. We've camped there a couple of times when we had relies working at Cooinda.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 610535

Reply By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2017 at 19:05

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2017 at 19:05
We spent a couple of weeks in Kakadu 3 years ago. 1st week at Kakadu Lodge (Kagaju?) and then a week at Cooinda.

There was still signs of flood damage in the toilet block at Cooinda but everything worked fine. We shifted camp mainly to be closer to Yellow Water and the cruise on the East Alligator river. Thoroughly enjoyed both.

My personal favourite was Kakadu Lodge but Cooinda was nice too.

There is another one on the road into the park Aurora Kakadu I think it was called. We stopped at the kiosk there but didn't stay.

Cheers
Pop

AnswerID: 610552

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2017 at 21:19

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2017 at 21:19
We chose the parks campgrounds every time, and loved them, moving around every couple of days to do touring. Merl was spoilt by the size and ferocity of the mosquitoes. Mardugal (near Cooinda) was my favourite but all were as good.

You may be interested in reading MyBlogs for Kakadu which start here.

Here is a similar question on Kakadu campgrounds which I probably replied to in more detail.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 610558

Reply By: True Blue - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2017 at 23:14

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2017 at 23:14
Many thanks for your kind responses. They have helped very much. Thanks also to Motherhen. Will read your travel blogs over the next day or so. Happy travels to all. Wayne and Julie
AnswerID: 610561

Sponsored Links