NSW - September 2018........ advice, recommendations?

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 28, 2017 at 19:43
ThreadID: 135804 Views:2706 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hey folks,

After an exciting trip with the family in 2017 from gympie to cairns via west, and back down the coast, we are looking at heading south into NSW for the 2018 break. Will be over maybe a 2.5 week period if we can make it work, somewhere in September.

Just wondering, what sort of things people recommend to do along the way. We plan to do somewhere in the 6 to 7000km trip similar to the distance we did this year.

Probably head from gympie, out west and down into NSW and come home via the coast road.

Fossicking in guided areas with equipment rentable or supplied? And what for?

Thanks for any hints and tips, and we will no doubt have more questions as the months go on.

Cheers,
Goat.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rumpig - Saturday, Oct 28, 2017 at 21:24

Saturday, Oct 28, 2017 at 21:24
Check out Girraween National Park near Stanthorpe and climb The Pyramid, and Bald Rock National Park a touch further South and climb Bald Rock (views are spectacular from both locations)....then there's the Old Grafton - Glen Innes Road because the scenery is spectacular along the way (good camping at either Mann River Reserve or no facilty camping along river past Dalmorton), and then there's The Waterfall Way around Dorrigo (camp out back of Dangar Falls Lodge where you then explore some of the waterfalls and National Parks around the area, we found it cheaper staying here several years back with it's full facilities then staying in some NSW National Parks), maybe add in Menindee Lakes and Sawn Rocks to your trip somehow...there's a few places to research for a start.
AnswerID: 614631

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Saturday, Oct 28, 2017 at 22:00

Saturday, Oct 28, 2017 at 22:00
Inverell for Sapphires, Tin and Antimony around Emmaville, Gold Panning around Nundle and Lightning Ridge for Opals
Sept can still be cold inland NSW, frosts/sub zero temperatures can/will occur as you get to southern NSW

Just some thoughts
AnswerID: 614632

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Sunday, Oct 29, 2017 at 00:12

Sunday, Oct 29, 2017 at 00:12
Hi Goat,
Are you going to post a blog or a report on your just completed trip?
Cheers
Tony
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 614634

Follow Up By: ManGoat - Sunday, Oct 29, 2017 at 00:31

Sunday, Oct 29, 2017 at 00:31
ill probably try to keep somewhat of a diary/blog and post it up after
FollowupID: 885282

Reply By: ManGoat - Sunday, Oct 29, 2017 at 12:03

Sunday, Oct 29, 2017 at 12:03
Soo, this is the main places we want to get to along the route.

Leave from Gympie, Qld.

1st night or 2 would be in Girraween.

maybe mann river reserve?
then tamworth?

Next major stop would be Dubbo.

Probably stop at Danagar Falls Lodge on the way back home i'd say.

What im interested to know is how do you guys do your itinery and planning?

Cheers
Goat.

AnswerID: 614637

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Oct 29, 2017 at 14:16

Sunday, Oct 29, 2017 at 14:16
Check out the Warrumbungles, between Coonabarabran & Tooraweenah.

Oh, and Mt Kaputar N/P, near Narrabri.

Re planning, work out the places you want to visit first, then work out distances between each place and go from there. Google N/Parks, touristy things, to get some input. If you're camping each night, then you might only travel 250-350kms each day. If you want to travel further then you'll miss a lot, and won't find many "roses".

Bob
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 885289

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Oct 29, 2017 at 15:20

Sunday, Oct 29, 2017 at 15:20
"how do you guys do your itinery and planning?"

I like spreadsheets for detailed itinerary planning, covers fuel needs, distances, camps etc.
Maybe to start, look at the trip distance you want to do, and time to do it.
Work out to suit yourself how practical it is for you and your pax.

~ 18 days over 6000 km is about 335km a day.
~ 18 days over 7000 km is about 390km a day.

Stopping at a few highlights a day, that would leave you very little time to spend a day or two every now and then at those really special places to fossick, explore with kids, relax a bit.

Over 18 days, spending a couple of days camping and doing those activities say 4 times, every 4 - 5 days or so, would limit total distance covered to around 4000km, and that is covering 400km a day.
Looking at your previous trip Gympie - Cairns - Gympie, unless you REALLY detoured big time inland, you might have covered around 3200 to 4000km ??

AnswerID: 614641

Follow Up By: ManGoat - Sunday, Oct 29, 2017 at 20:01

Sunday, Oct 29, 2017 at 20:01
yeah, we are thinking we will do a less intensive km trip, but our first day is usually a big one, to get right out of the area and into new pastures.

the cairns trip, total km on return was 5980km. we did some big days, 800km the first day alone, and some big days from cairns, all but 2 days were fairly long drives. we did it like this for a few reasons

1: no experience
2: cover distance, gather info for future trips. yes we will do the same route again in a few years, or a similar route, but stop for longer in areas.
3: cause we could :P

to give you the route done, without the day trips from cairns once we were there:

gympie to:
emerald (2 nights, sapphire, rubyvale and out that way driving around)
longreach
winton
richmond
charters towers
cairns

from cairns we spent a week travelling north, west and south and returning daily.

then back down the coast, stopping in townsville, mackay, rocky (2 nights) then home.

it was an intense trip, but we did ALMOST everything we wanted to, but it was rushed, we accepted it would be, and we were happy with what we discovered, and saw, and also the people we met were great and full of info.

we are just under a year away from this next trip, so please understand, i might be sounding like we are biting off a lot, and we probably are, but this is destined to change with us looking at the places you have already mentioned above.

fuel costs: i just say ill fill up EVERY day, first or last thing, so i will always have 120~L on board.

thanks for the advice, i really do appreciate all the input. camping for the first time as a family really did rub us up the right way, and we have already been away for another camping weekend since. this is something that had never ever entered our heads in the last 20 years of togetherness. the 1 and 4 yo kids love it too.

cheers
goat.
FollowupID: 885291

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Oct 29, 2017 at 21:28

Sunday, Oct 29, 2017 at 21:28
Good to see people get the camping bug, loads of fun especially for youngsters.
That was a decent detour, you got out to some incredible QLD outback there.
Charters Towers (or Charlies Trousers as we knew it) was a regular trip for us as kids with my nan living there.
Have fun planning the trips, I reckon it's half the fun.
FollowupID: 885294

Follow Up By: ManGoat - Monday, Oct 30, 2017 at 06:57

Monday, Oct 30, 2017 at 06:57
cheers les, its the first time id been "West", id been halfway to dalby before, but that was about as far west as i'd been, so it was an eye opening experience. the landscape changes so rapidly, and as we rolled into cairns, we looked at each other and said "can we go back out west". it was just a fantastic experience for all of us as a family. hopefully there will be many many more trips and so many happy memories made.

FollowupID: 885297

Reply By: splits - Monday, Oct 30, 2017 at 13:54

Monday, Oct 30, 2017 at 13:54
Have a look at the websites for all the towns that are within reach of your intended route. They usually list.annual festivals and everything else of interest. You never know what you will find.
AnswerID: 614651

Sponsored Links