Mt Augustus, Kennedy Range NP in Gascoyne

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 23:52
ThreadID: 13609 Views:2144 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We're heading off this Sat (maybe sooner if we can get ready sooner) for 3 weeks poking around the Gascoyne station country. Main destinations include Mt Augustus and Kennedy Range NP. Intended route is via the Carnarvon-Mullewa Rd via Murchison Settlement and Gascoyne Junction to the above. Depending how time is going we will leave Mt Aug. for Meekatharra or Newman area.

Anyone been out this way recently and are able to recommend any good bush campsites and waypoints if you have them :-)? We're hoping to spend a few nights camping along the Lyon or Gascoyne Rivers if we can find somewhere nice. Some features marked on our map include Bilung Pool SE of Gascoyne Junction and Edithanna and Cattle Pools both NW of MT Aug. Any info on these would be appreciated also.

:o) Melissa
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: motherhen - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 00:17

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 00:17
Can camp free at the Kennedys - a bush toilet, but unlikely to get it all to yourself. Have found some nice overnight spots alongside rivers on way to Mt Augustus from the North West side (traffic not a worry - not many cars at night, very few during the day. Somewhere in the vicinity of Lyndon Station (we were heading from the North, so it was prior to the junction to go either South to the Kennedys or East to Augustus) we found a huge rock near the road and drove round behind it. Had the best feeling of being so far from any living soul I've ever had. Nice rock for climbing on next morning too. I think camping at the Lyons river pools is frowned on by the "locals", although they are worth driving in to see. At Mt Augustus there is little choice - have to stay at the caravan park - not wonderful. If driving off the road South of Mt Augustus, beware of sharp stone damaging tyres. We wondered why the roadside was littered with so many car and truck tyres - until we got up next morning!
AnswerID: 62374

Follow Up By: Peter Guy - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 13:14

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 13:14
It has been a while since we were there and it is great country. I think you should check with the Cascoyne Shire about the road coditions as I remember seeing heaps of water crossings on the road from Gascoyne Junction to Mt Augustus. They have had a lot of heavy rain, it could be a problem so a quick phone call should clarify the situation.
This region it seemed to me has been forgotten about as there doesn't seem to be many visitors in comparison to the rest of the state. We like it that way so you tend to have all the good spots to yourselves!
FollowupID: 323719

Reply By: Member - Ray - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 20:01

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 20:01
Melissa
Alow 2 nights at Mt Augustus as it is a great spot
AnswerID: 62494

Sponsored Links