Brindabella Ramble

Submitted: Monday, Mar 19, 2018 at 10:31
ThreadID: 136439 Views:2425 Replies:0 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
It was 30 degrees in Wagga at 6am and dust storms were forecast so I decided to get up into the hills for the day. Pointed the Patrol east towards Tumut for a coffee stop at the fabulous Coffee Pedaler. Across the Tumut River and onto Bombowlee Creek Road. This climbs slowly into the foothills and is a good gravel road. Crossed the Hume and Hovell walking track at Micalong Creek and had a quick look at the Borrais Campsite, a walk-in site just north of the bridge on the eastern bank of the Micalong Creek
Cross the Goodradigbee River in the pretty Brindabella Valley, then climb up the other side of the valley. The road is narrow and dusty and caravans would not be welcome around here. Made it to Piccadilly Circus and met a Fire Unit from the ACT who was locking the gate to Mount Franklin where I was headed. A total fire ban was in place and gusty winds forecast so I had to make alternate plans.
Two Sticks Road around the base of Mt Coree (nice campground with a new dunny near the road junction) then up the switchbacks to Mt Coree. Steep but easy going. View from Coree is always worthwhile, but today there were dust clouds gathering to the west which made the sky a vivid orange. The tower was manned and the fire officer was keeping a watchful eye over the mountains.
North along Two Sticks and west along Powerline Tk. This joins the Webb’s Ridge Trail which I followed south and down the steep ridge to Flea Creek. The Goodradigbee River here is deep and flowing and perfect for a swim on a hot day. The day use area was busy but the camp area is maybe a km away and was pretty sparse.
Climb up Gentle Annie Trail. Dry and dusty but no need for low range today. This re-joins the Brindabella Road and it’s an easy descent back to the valley where I stopped for afternoon smoko opposite Yarrabee Station.
West along the Brindabella Road through Bobbys Plains and Bondo, then south along the Argalong Stock Route (follows the airstrip at one stage) Masons Road, then Argalong Road, a beautiful drive down to meet the Lacmalac Road and into Tumut.
Made the obligatory visit to the Tumut River Brewery for a cleansing ale, then out to Tumblong via Adelong. Crossed the Murrumbidgee at Mundarlo then into Wantabadgery to see the Bowen project, a memorial to a local policeman killed by Captain Moonlite. And home to Wagga via Oura.
Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Sponsored Links