Flinders ranges

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 11, 2018 at 18:29
ThreadID: 137233 Views:3104 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Heading to flinders ranges soon looking to stay on soom stations do some 4wding staying in swags.ANy info on places to stay or things to see from past experience would be appreiated
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rob A2 - Tuesday, Sep 11, 2018 at 18:54

Tuesday, Sep 11, 2018 at 18:54
How long for? The list of private properties with 4WD tracks starts with Bendleby Ranges in the Southern Flinders and finishes in the North Flinders at Warraweena. Further North you find Arkaroola. In between lies; Rawnsley Park Station, Alpana, Merna Mora amongst others.

Rob
Rob Ackland

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 621149

Follow Up By: cvhq - Wednesday, Sep 12, 2018 at 10:37

Wednesday, Sep 12, 2018 at 10:37
Got 5 weeks off work heading down the hay river track on way down. Fully self contianed camping hi clearence 4wd with plenty of experiance.Will be my first time in area looking for more remote bush camping with good some tracks.I can no wait to see enougher part of our country .
FollowupID: 893685

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Sep 11, 2018 at 19:30

Tuesday, Sep 11, 2018 at 19:30
Expanding on Robs reply . . .
SA Station Stays
There are others, but a good list on that site.

Also google PAR South Australia
These are public access routes through a lot of properties in the state, with many in the Flinders.
You should find a PDF file you can print, pretty sure one is located on the Rawnsley Pk website.
AnswerID: 621150

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Sep 11, 2018 at 19:49

Tuesday, Sep 11, 2018 at 19:49
We're heading to the Flinders Ranges next month for a week's bush camping at Willow Springs. There are several camping options available, but we like the remoteness and solitude of their bush camping sites.

Can hardly wait!!!
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 621151

Reply By: KevinE - Tuesday, Sep 11, 2018 at 21:39

Tuesday, Sep 11, 2018 at 21:39
We're heading up there again this W/E. This will be trip # 22 up there for us.

Les' list of station stays is the best you will find.

There are also camp grounds in every gorge in the NP for $15 per night.

The Wilpena camp ground is also brilliant, as is Rawnsley Park caravan park.

There is also camping further up at Leigh Creek & Copley. Or further down at Melrose, Wilmington & Quorn.

It really depends on what you want & what your expectations are. It's a pretty big area.

Things to see? How long have you got?

If it's your 1st time, just talk to your hosts & ask.

Enjoy your trip!

AnswerID: 621153

Reply By: GarryR - Wednesday, Sep 12, 2018 at 14:37

Wednesday, Sep 12, 2018 at 14:37
we recently stayed at both Rawnsley Park and Merna Morna stations amongst others. Variety of camping available including use of camp kitchens and showers. Merna Morna also offers 4 different station self drive treks complete with footnotes available. Also as mentioned, the PAR tracks are worth a look, just take your time and enjoy the scenery.
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 621165

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma. - Thursday, Sep 13, 2018 at 17:46

Thursday, Sep 13, 2018 at 17:46
Hi cvhq,
What a coincidence.
We've been to the Flinders Ranges many times and are at present booking to do some station stays for camping.
We hear all about the N.S.W. & QLD. droughts but not much about S.A ,
the Flinders Ranges are very dry too.
Talking to one place yesterday advised me that if I wanted "Lush stay down around Melrose in the southern Flinders,otherwise further up is in drought too.
As said, we've traveled much of the area
Arkaroola is beautifully rugged & mostly quite dry so I guess they'll be really dry.
There are many campsites. Some beautiful tracks, be sure to travel in the right direction on them.
The homestead area accomodation is O.K too but very expensive. They have to be in some ways because of their remoteness and they are a wilderness society.
They're fighting to save it from mining.
Wilpena pound is lovely too.
You must not miss The Mooralana scenic route, travel from East to west in the morning & the other way in the evening because of the sun.
If there is no sun it doesn't really matter.
This is one of the best scenic drives you'll ever see, on the perfect sunny day it is
breath taking if you're into scenery.
Have a great time.
Take care, safe travels. Ma.
AnswerID: 621193

Follow Up By: rooster350 - Saturday, Sep 15, 2018 at 10:19

Saturday, Sep 15, 2018 at 10:19
Alpana station just south of Blinman is a good spot to stay at , has only 3-4 powered sites with ensuites...has a very interesting history. And do not miss out on having a Blinman pie , make sure you are hungry . A tour of the old tin mine is also very good.
FollowupID: 893752

Sponsored Links