Broken Hill to Cameron corner

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 19, 2020 at 14:33
ThreadID: 139570 Views:10492 Replies:3 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

We are planning to head from Broken Hill to Cameron's corner in July then further north. Broken Hill to the corner is about 470 km via the silver city highway. Without knowing the roads in that area ican this be covered in a day?

ta
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Jan 19, 2020 at 15:15

Sunday, Jan 19, 2020 at 15:15
It is more than we like to drive in a day, but the short answer is "yes". It is bitumen most of the way.
BUT, you should spend a couple of nights in Mutawintji NP and a night in Tipooburra, at least.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome.
AnswerID: 629592

Follow Up By: Carl H3 - Sunday, Jan 19, 2020 at 15:24

Sunday, Jan 19, 2020 at 15:24
thanks Peter. I was tossing up to push all the way or just go to Tibooburra and then head to innaminca via the corner the next day
FollowupID: 904590

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Sunday, Jan 19, 2020 at 15:28

Sunday, Jan 19, 2020 at 15:28
And some time in Milparinka too?
FollowupID: 904591

Follow Up By: Carl H3 - Sunday, Jan 19, 2020 at 15:31

Sunday, Jan 19, 2020 at 15:31
I plan on calling in on the way to Tibooburra. Which way are people heading going from tibooburra to Innamincka
FollowupID: 904592

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Jan 19, 2020 at 15:35

Sunday, Jan 19, 2020 at 15:35
Via Olive Downs, the jump up and the Middle Road through Sturt NP is a nice deviation.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 904593

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Sunday, Jan 19, 2020 at 17:24

Sunday, Jan 19, 2020 at 17:24
We went up the dog fence via Silverton. Lovely drive that took us two days from Silverton to Tibooburra
FollowupID: 904595

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Jan 20, 2020 at 08:29

Monday, Jan 20, 2020 at 08:29
We did the reverse a few years back, Cameron’s Corner to Silverton via Tibooburra & the dog fence. Great drive, it took us about a day and a half. Looking at the maps, it looks like you can drive from Silverton to Cameron’s Corner all the way via the dog fence bypassing Tibooburra altogether. The tracks take you through a couple of stations, not sure if these tracks are open to the public. We are looking to head this way when we head to the “Simo” in April of this year. Plan on contacting the stations in a month or so for confirmation.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 904611

Follow Up By: Member - silkwood - Monday, Jan 20, 2020 at 11:18

Monday, Jan 20, 2020 at 11:18
If not going straight through, leaving BH early(ish) means you can have brunch at Packsaddle, then visit Milparincka (as suggested) on the way to Tibooburra. A few options to the corner from there.

If visiting Innamincka, you could also consider a loop, taking in Noccundra, a lovely water hole to camp next to and a pub (with fuel) nearby. Then you could head to the Dig Tree on the way to Innamincka before heading back through Cameron Corner and take an alternate route to Silverton-Broken Hill... Depending upon time and inclination, of course.

Cheers,
Mark
FollowupID: 904623

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Monday, Jan 20, 2020 at 20:02

Monday, Jan 20, 2020 at 20:02
The section of road from Hawkers Gate to Cameron Corner is along the actual dog fence which is not allowed.
You will end up coming out on the road from Cameron Corner to Tibooburra
FollowupID: 904644

Follow Up By: Carl H3 - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2020 at 19:09

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2020 at 19:09
current plan

Saturday home broken hill
Sunday broken hill broken hill
Monday broken hill cameron corner
Tuesday cameron corner Innamincka
Wednesday Innamincka cordillo downs
Thursday cordillo downs Birdsvile
Friday Birdsvile Birdsvile
Saturday Birdsville Longreach
Sunday longreach Longreach
Monday longreach winton
Tuesday winton winton
Wednesday winton tobermorey
Thursday tobermorey gemtree
Friday gemtree Alice Springs
Saturday Alice springs chambers pilar
Sunday
Monday Alice springs Alice springs
Tuesday Alice springs Alice Springs
Wednesday Alice springs Alice Springs
Thursday Alice springs Alice Springs
Friday Alice springs Kings Canyon
Saturday Kings Canyon Kings Canyon
Sunday Kings Canyon Ayers rock
Monday Ayers rock Ayers rock
Tuesday Ayers rock Ayers rock
Wednesday Ayers rock Kulgera
Thursday Kulgera Kulgera
Friday Kulgera oodnadatta
Saturday oodnadatta coward springs
Sunday coward spring copley
Monday copley arkaroola
Tuesday Arkaroola arkaroola
Wednesday Arkaroola port augusta
Thursday port augusta mildura
Friday mildura wagga
Saturday wagga home

FollowupID: 904675

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, Jan 23, 2020 at 08:27

Thursday, Jan 23, 2020 at 08:27
Hi Carl,

Looks like a great itinerary. Might I respectfully suggest that instead of overnighting In Innamincka, you overnight at the Dig Tree. About 30 kms further on, but a great camping spot on the banks of the Cooper Creek.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 904680

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Thursday, Jan 23, 2020 at 10:01

Thursday, Jan 23, 2020 at 10:01
I would not contemplate going to Innamincka without spending a few days at Coongie Lakes. :)
Some of our favourite country around that area.
From Chambers Pillar head west via the Hugh River Stock Route to save some km.
From Uluru go south via Mulga Park to the SA-NT border.
Then Kulgera, Mt Dare, Dalhousie, Oodnadatta,....
So much to do, so little time.....
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome.
FollowupID: 904682

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Jan 20, 2020 at 10:33

Monday, Jan 20, 2020 at 10:33
A tip.
It is Cameron Corner. Don't call it Cameron's Corner (with the 's) in the Corner Store bar or you may be 'invited' to put $5 in the RFDS tin. Maybe not now that poor old Fenn has gone.... or maybe still.

The S.A. Geographical Names Act 1991 removed all the possessive s's from the State's names. A clumsy broad move that changed history in South Australia.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 629598

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Jan 20, 2020 at 11:05

Monday, Jan 20, 2020 at 11:05
A bit like the then RTA in NSW. Some years ago the bureaucrats decided that place names on road signs had to be spelled out in full, no apostrophes for missing letters.

Run o' Waters Creek (and locality) became Run of Waters. Doesn't really roll off the tongue like the original, does it? There were others that I can't recall. Locals kicked up a stink and I think the decision was reversed.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 904620

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Monday, Jan 20, 2020 at 14:45

Monday, Jan 20, 2020 at 14:45
The removal of apostrophes in Australian place names was a convention adopted Australia wide sometime around the 1990s and appeared in offical governmenr writing style guides. It's now considered best practice in geographic place names, as it avoids confusion in database searches and has been adopted by the Aust and NZ committee on surveying and mapping. Pedants might like to peruse the document here. I don't know if Cameron Corner was Cameron's Corner before the convention was adopted but following the convention if it was the possesive it should simply have become Camerons Corner. Other jurisdictions such as the UK use a mixed bag, sometimes retaing the possessive sometimes not.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

FollowupID: 904634

Follow Up By: Zippo - Monday, Jan 20, 2020 at 15:16

Monday, Jan 20, 2020 at 15:16
On naming ... While some like Cooper's Creek simply dropped the S with the apostrophe.
FollowupID: 904635

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Jan 20, 2020 at 16:27

Monday, Jan 20, 2020 at 16:27
Warren,

The issue is not just "removal of apostrophes", it is removal of the possessive 's' together with the apostrophe. The absence of an apostrophe is of small consequence and does simplify signs and databases but removal of the 's' can completely change the essence of the name. i.e. 'Bulls Creek' became 'Bull Creek'. It is a both a creek and a township in South Australia.
In his book "What's in a Name", Rodney Cockburn writes that this name "helps to keep green the name of John Wrathall Bull, the author of some of the most interesting early recollections of South Australia." The current naming is more likely to be considered to be associated with a bovine animal. The history is lost. And there are many more examples.

The place name changes were not adopted Australia wide in concert. They are administered by the State Governments but the various States progressively followed NSW's lead in this matter. I think all States now adopt the procedure.

Your link takes us to the Permanent Committee on Place Names, a more recent (2009) group that endeavours to bring together all the various factions administering these names. They proceeded to add many more elements to simplify the lives of gazetteers, mappers and bureaucrats but at the cost of colour in our culture. Exception are made to the rule, but not many.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 904636

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Monday, Jan 20, 2020 at 16:59

Monday, Jan 20, 2020 at 16:59
Some were retained though eg Batemans Bay. I wonder if any 'logic' was used?
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

FollowupID: 904637

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Jan 20, 2020 at 17:25

Monday, Jan 20, 2020 at 17:25
Yes BB was named by James Cook after Nathaniel Bateman, so it was a possessive 's'.
They were lucky to retain the 's'.
Then there is Surfers Paradise, Fishermans Bend, Kings Cross etc. All possessive 's's.
But most were lost.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 904638

Follow Up By: Zippo - Monday, Jan 20, 2020 at 17:55

Monday, Jan 20, 2020 at 17:55
Logic and government committees don't belong in the same sentence unlss there is a negation included.

(I've been on one or two ...)
FollowupID: 904639

Reply By: Member - Martin CH - Thursday, Jan 23, 2020 at 03:16

Thursday, Jan 23, 2020 at 03:16
Hi Carl,
we travelled from Cameron Corner to Broken Hill in November 2019.
The Road from Cameron Corner to Tibooburra was in very bad condition.
it takes at least 2hrs for it.
from Tibooburra almost the whole trak is or beeing sealed now.
Forget the Mutawintji NP.
The Park ist not maintained anymore, everything is broken and destroyed. It's a shame. After our first visit in 2016 we were extremely disappointed this time.
Greetings
Martin
AnswerID: 629640

Sponsored Links