Wee Jasper

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 27, 2021 at 18:58
ThreadID: 142920 Views:5935 Replies:6 FollowUps:22
This Thread has been Archived
Have you camped here mid week around this time (before school holidays) and how busy is it?

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Nov 28, 2021 at 00:32

Sunday, Nov 28, 2021 at 00:32
I have never found it too busy at any week day out of school holidays. However, all bets are off following the relaxation period after our Covoid lockdowns.

All the campgrounds in the area are controlled by National Parks. You need to book in via the office at Billy Grace Reserve and pay your fees there no matter which area you camp in. The dertails are at - Wee Jasper Reserves - I suggest you ring and ask them.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 638716

Reply By: Simon N5 - Sunday, Nov 28, 2021 at 08:33

Sunday, Nov 28, 2021 at 08:33
Thanks mate
AnswerID: 638717

Reply By: Briste - Monday, Nov 29, 2021 at 00:41

Monday, Nov 29, 2021 at 00:41
Inspired by this post, I made a day trip out there this (Sunday) afternoon to check the place out. I visited all the camp sites other than Micalong. The only vans and campers were at Billy Grace, with the exception of one RV that was packing up to leave Fitzpatrick Trailhead. (Carey's Reserve is more or less abandoned and unusable.)

I'd estimate that there were around ten sites occupied at Billy Grace, but as this is quite a large area there was a lot of space between them. Not crowded at all. By the time I got there it was well after 4pm and so the numbers may have been higher earlier. I had the impression there had been some sort of Tvan get-togther over the weekend. Based on what I saw I find it hard to imagine that you'd have a problem mid-week outside of school holidays.

Price is currently $17 per person per night for "primitive camping". Struck me as a little steep, but the main sites are well maintained, and at Billy Grace there are flush toilets and showers, a covered meals area that may have had a camp kitchen (not sure), and a dump point, so despite the lack of power and water it's not totally primitive. I gather it's possible to access potable water, but didn't see where from.
AnswerID: 638721

Follow Up By: Simon N5 - Monday, Nov 29, 2021 at 07:55

Monday, Nov 29, 2021 at 07:55
You absolute legend!!

Thanks a lot.
FollowupID: 917386

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Nov 29, 2021 at 08:00

Monday, Nov 29, 2021 at 08:00
All of the campsites apart from Cary's (which I don't know about) have toilets. All flushers, I think, not 100% sure.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 917387

Follow Up By: Simon N5 - Monday, Nov 29, 2021 at 08:30

Monday, Nov 29, 2021 at 08:30
And this here is what makes this forum so great!

Questions answered and opinions excluded when not requested.

Thanks guys, you're the best!

FollowupID: 917388

Follow Up By: Briste - Monday, Nov 29, 2021 at 10:18

Monday, Nov 29, 2021 at 10:18
Carey's has toilets, but you'd have to fight through long grass to get there, and I doubt that the toilets have been maintained at all. Seriously, it's an abandoned, overgrown, unmaintained and unattractive site, unlike all the others, which are well maintained and very attractive. That's where your money goes I guess.

Billy Grace does look to be the pick of the bunch. Swinging Bridge and Micalong (which I did not visit, but going by the photos on Wikicamps) are smaller. You may have a better chance of being alone there, but less space if you're not, esp at SB. The Goodradigbee is flowing pretty fast and Swinging Bridge is pretty small, and you are closer to the river, which may not be a great idea right now.

The road south from Billy Grace to those two sites is pretty rough in spots, which may help to keep the numbers down, but I saw a couple of ancient Jayco pop-tops coming back along it very slowly, presumably from Micalong, so it is doable without an off-road van if you're careful.

I'm picking up my first van this weekend, and it's highly likely that Wee Jasper is one of the sites that we'll stay at in the near future to learn the lifestyle.
FollowupID: 917389

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Nov 29, 2021 at 12:04

Monday, Nov 29, 2021 at 12:04
Micalong is actually quite large, cut in half by Nottingham Rd. The pictures you saw maybe didn't show the whole picture LOL.

The prettiest part on the western side of the road has lots of shade for summer time camping and is alongside Micalong Creek, not the Goodradigbee River.

There is more open and IIRC, flatter camping on the eastern side, also alongside Micalong Creek. Each half of the campground has a toilet.

The Goodradigbee River is not readily accessible from the Micalong campsites but the creek has plenty of water for kids to splash around on hot days.

As I write this, I think I recall that access to the river is through private property and not permitted. Best resolved by a visit!!
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 917390

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Monday, Nov 29, 2021 at 20:10

Monday, Nov 29, 2021 at 20:10
Micalong has a lot of space and gets totally packed out at peak times. As far as I remember it only has one cold shower as well, but I haven't been there for maybe 6 years.
FollowupID: 917396

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Nov 29, 2021 at 20:49

Monday, Nov 29, 2021 at 20:49
"Carey's has toilets, but you'd have to fight through long grass to get there, and I doubt that the toilets have been maintained at all."

That may have something to do with Carey's not belonging to the Wee Jasper Reserve group. When I was sculling around there the caves were not run by the reserve group. The WikiCamps site does not have any link to them and the cave's website does not include the campsite. Was there any indication that the cave tours were running when you visited the site? Carey's website indicates they hope to reopen in early December. Maybe they will run a slasher over the campground when the caves open.

Michael H9 - WikiCamps and the reserve website indicate there are hot showers at Micalong Creek. Maybe it's time for a revisit. I see the track head also has hot showers, they did not have them when I was last there.

Swinging Bridge Reserve has no mention of showers on either site.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 917397

Follow Up By: Briste - Monday, Nov 29, 2021 at 22:09

Monday, Nov 29, 2021 at 22:09
A quick search on Carey's Reserve suggests that it used to be part of the Wee Jasper Reserves group, and it certainly had the same signage at its entry as the others, which is why I assumed that it still is. But as you say, it's not currently listed on their web site, just the four other ones. It's clearly not an active site any more, whether they still control it or not. Apparently the toilets are / were only long drops, and it was described as the most primitive. $17 p.p. p.n. would not have been very good value, which no doubt led to it being dropped.

I'll definitely have to visit Micalong next time (off-peak). The road from Billy Grace to Swinging Bridge had suffered significant cross-track water damage which made for slow and uncomfortable going and I assume the next 3kms to Micalong was much the same. Is this all recent water damage from this year's heavy rains or is it normal? It wasn't the CSR, but you'd think it would be graded before peak season.

p.s. No, I didn't see any indication that the caves were open or closed. Didn't go that far in that direction. The website says that they're still closed and hope to open in early December
FollowupID: 917399

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Nov 29, 2021 at 22:30

Monday, Nov 29, 2021 at 22:30
"The road from Billy Grace to Swinging Bridge had suffered significant cross-track water damage which made for slow and uncomfortable going and I assume the next 3kms to Micalong was much the same. Is this all recent water damage from this year's heavy rains or is it normal? "

It's never really smooth but I imagine all the recent rain hasn't helped it.

It's my favorite shortcut to the Kozzy National Park. From Micalong keep going south to Brindabella Rd. There you can turn east to Canberra, west to Tumut, or after a bit of a dogleg pick up Barnetts Rd the Broken Cart Fire Trail that takes you through to Long Plain Rd where there is a wealth of camping, history and exploring to be done. Coolemon Station, Blue Holes Campground and hiking in limestone gorges, Port Phillip fire trail which takes you to Currango Homestead provided you can cross the upper reaches of Tantangara Reservoir. Be quick, Snowy 2 will cut that track if it hasn't already due to rising water levels. Plus camping along the way at around 1300m IIRC, with its Alpine environment. Wonderful.

Long plain Rd exits onto the Snowy Mts Hwy, from where you can access Kiandra, Three Mile Dam campsite, wend you way to the Alpine Way and Geehi Flats, Tom Groggin, Thredbo and in there somewhere explore the rest of the Snowys and the Snowy Mts Scheme if you like the engineering stuff. It's all spectacular. God's country.

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 917400

Follow Up By: Briste - Monday, Nov 29, 2021 at 22:51

Monday, Nov 29, 2021 at 22:51
"It's my favourite shortcut to the Kozzy National Park. From Micalong keep going south to Brindabella Rd."

I see that now, although it wasn't clear from EOT just how doable that was. Always good to know that someone else has done it first, as EOT isn't always right in that part of the world, e.g. locked gates. Probably best to do it first from north to south, as it gets a bit messy going the other way for the first time.

I recently came back from a day trip (so not towing) to Blue Waterholes via Broken Cart Trail. Great trail! Do you tow the KK down this shortcut?
FollowupID: 917402

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Nov 30, 2021 at 05:54

Tuesday, Nov 30, 2021 at 05:54
The Kiandra to Cabramurra was closed to us earlier this year, we weren't allowed through. We were coming from Broken Cart / Long Plain trying to get down to Geehi but had to detour through Talbingo then Bago Forest. It may have been Snowy 2 or bushfire recovery related?
FollowupID: 917405

Follow Up By: Member - Allan L2 - Tuesday, Nov 30, 2021 at 07:28

Tuesday, Nov 30, 2021 at 07:28
The Kiandra to Cabramurra road has since reopened. The Elliot Way has also reopened but still has road works going on. Nat Parks in Khancoban is best source of info for the area.
FollowupID: 917408

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 30, 2021 at 07:55

Tuesday, Nov 30, 2021 at 07:55
"I recently came back from a day trip (so not towing) to Blue Waterholes via Broken Cart Trail. Great trail! Do you tow the KK down this shortcut?"

Yes, Briste, I've done it a few times. With Covid and all, it's been a while since the last trip with the KK and there have been two big rain events so I'd need to do a recce before doing it again. A perfect excuse to take a swag for a short break.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 917409

Follow Up By: Simon N5 - Tuesday, Nov 30, 2021 at 09:09

Tuesday, Nov 30, 2021 at 09:09
all this talk has got me wanting to go and see all these places.

Which mapping systems do you guys use to find these tracks and places?
FollowupID: 917410

Follow Up By: Briste - Tuesday, Nov 30, 2021 at 09:46

Tuesday, Nov 30, 2021 at 09:46
@Simon:Well this is the ExplorOZ forum, so it's a reasonable assumption that we use ExplorOZ Traveller. I also use Wikicamps for camping sites. However there are a lot of trails marked on EOT in the Brindabellas, and it's not always clear which are the main ones, and which are narrow and overgrown. I took the route back from Blue Waterholes along Broken Cart Trail because my wife's nephew had done it only a few weeks earlier without difficulty in his Jimny. So local knowledge certainly helps.

BCT has a seasonal closure as I understand it, and it wouldn't have long been open at that point. There is a creek crossing of Dubbo Creek (not named in EOT but it is in Wikicamps) towards the top of BCT, that wouldn't have wanted to be too much higher. We did the route at a time when the tracks had dried out. Prior to that the Brindies had been a mud-slog. Given the recent rain I imagine they would be again, and I'd be a little concerned about Dubbo Creek at present (we haven't yet fitted a snorkel to the new tug).

@Frank: have you ever stayed at the Dubbo Flat camp area beside Dubbo Creek? (Also on Wikicamps but not EOT.) When I say campsite it's just a clearing. When we passed by it still looked pretty wet and would have been a bog risk, but would be a nice spot to stay when it has dried out.
FollowupID: 917411

Follow Up By: Simon N5 - Tuesday, Nov 30, 2021 at 11:54

Tuesday, Nov 30, 2021 at 11:54
What is the Brindabella rd to Wee Jasper campsites route like?

Has anyone been this way recently?

Just thinking of taking an interesting route.
FollowupID: 917412

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 30, 2021 at 18:27

Tuesday, Nov 30, 2021 at 18:27
"@Frank: have you ever stayed at the Dubbo Flat camp area beside Dubbo Creek? (Also on Wikicamps but not EOT.) When I say campsite it's just a clearing. When we passed by it still looked pretty wet and would have been a bog risk, but would be a nice spot to stay when it has dried out."

Briste,

No, I haven't camped there but I've marked it as a private place in EOT. It's very prone to being boggy and has a reputation. Last time I was there I walked in for a look. Some clowns had created huge ruts that were full of water so I didn't take the ute in - it might have been a one-way trip!! Would be a nice enough place when dry, though.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 917413

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 30, 2021 at 18:33

Tuesday, Nov 30, 2021 at 18:33
"What is the Brindabella rd to Wee Jasper campsites route like?

Has anyone been this way recently?

Just thinking of taking an interesting route."

Simon,

I would class it as a rough (in places) 2WD road. You don't need 4WD, but it's not a place to take your Yaris or your Lamborghini. Soft roader territory, perhaps. The Yaris might be ok, driven carefully LOL.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 917414

Follow Up By: Briste - Tuesday, Nov 30, 2021 at 19:00

Tuesday, Nov 30, 2021 at 19:00
" Some clowns had created huge ruts that were full of water"

Those ruts seem now to be a permanent feature of Dubbo Flat :(
FollowupID: 917415

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Dec 01, 2021 at 16:26

Wednesday, Dec 01, 2021 at 16:26
"ll this talk has got me wanting to go and see all these places.

Which mapping systems do you guys use to find these tracks and places?"

For navigation ExplorOz Traveller, sometimes OziExplorer. Finding places:ExplorOz Traveller, Wiki Camps, camping and touring books, National Parks website and visitor centres, regional and town visitor centres.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 917441

Follow Up By: aussiedingo (River Rina) - Saturday, Dec 18, 2021 at 20:55

Saturday, Dec 18, 2021 at 20:55
G"day all, I came today from Cooma, Kiandra, link road to Tumba. with my motorhome 'n towed car! all good - but slow, worthwhile for more time to look around..
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 917655

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Monday, Nov 29, 2021 at 08:12

Monday, Nov 29, 2021 at 08:12
There are some great campsites by the river at Billy Grace. The showers are hot, just don't be there after a bunch of cavers have taken a shower as the caves are damp and muddy. One other thing, we did a shake down camp by the river and the property on the other side had some sort of automatic bird scaring 'cannon' that went off at regular intervals during the day. It was in the distance and wasn't actually very obtrusive. A very lovely spot. Note you have to bring everything. There is /was a small shop at caretaker's residence with very limited items. From time to time their can be a pub/cafe operating in the village, it obviously struggles to be viable as it is often closed.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 638724

Reply By: Simon N5 - Monday, Nov 29, 2021 at 08:32

Monday, Nov 29, 2021 at 08:32
And thanks to you also.
AnswerID: 638725

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Monday, Nov 29, 2021 at 21:24

Monday, Nov 29, 2021 at 21:24
Link; https://www.exploroz.com/places/99349/nsw+billy-grace-reserve
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 917398

Reply By: Briste - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2022 at 21:53

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2022 at 21:53
I have just spent a few nights at the Billy Grace site at Wee Jasper. Staying there during school hols hadn't been the plan, but it seemed to be the best option for an early outing for the newish Karavan. It is a nice setting, but not really bush camping. Some observations:

Given that it is school hols, I'd describe it as well patronised but not crowded. On the first night we felt that we had a fair bit of separation from other campers, less so on the second night, but I think that was just some clustering near us because we had chosen a prime area.

I was surprised that the numbers weren't higher, but the Christmas / new year peak had probably passed, and the regular storms in the region will have put some people off. Minimum booking at present is three nights, and it would be hard to pick three consecutive storm-free nights at present with any confidence.

The heavy rain late last week had left the Goodradigbee flowing fast and wide and the campground soil rather saturated. In fact last Friday the causeway at the intersection of Wee Jasper & Nottingham Road just around the corner from the entry to Billy Grace had apparently been impassable, so if there's been heavy rain it's wise to call and check or view their FB profile.

The shower / toilet / dump etc facilities at Billy Grace are quite good, which you'd hope for at $17 p.p p.n. for "primitive camping". Also a childrens playground and BBQ facilities (I assume gas). What used to be the Wee Jasper store is closed with no prospect of reopening under the current owner of the land and building. As previously mentioned by someone, the office at Billy Grace has a few non-perishables for sale, but it's slim pickings, plus a fridge with soft drinks and I think some milk, but not much. The pub that burned down a few years back has not been rebuilt.

Nottingham Road south from Billy Grace to Micalong is even worse than when I was there a little over a month ago. In fact the Reserves FB page a few days ago said "the road to Swinging Bridge & Micalong Creek is in terrible condition - advising standard vehicles to reconsider using this road, 4x4's use caution. " That's probably an overstatement, but the kilometre or two just before Swinging Bridge has some doozies across the road. Could you cross them in a 2WD? Probably, slowly, but decent clearance would essential. No low-slung sports cars.

I made it to Micalong this time and checked out the facilities. What Frank said is correct - the east side is open and only has what seems from a distance to be long drops, although I didn't opt to inspect them. The west side has much more shade and better facilities - flushing toilets and two showers that were clearly added later in a corrugated iron add-on. It is almost on a par with Billy Grace, assuming you manage to get there. It was well patronised.

There's a decent Telstra signal at Billy Grace. I didn't check it at Micalong, but I'd be surprised if it extended that far given the distance and terrain.

I did venture a few kms further south from Micalong to check the state of the road. Not in great condition, more cross-track erosion. If it was all like that then it would probably be doable, but very slow.
AnswerID: 639070

Sponsored Links