"Place Comment" intrusion.

Submitted: Monday, Mar 14, 2022 at 23:28
ThreadID: 143397 Views:6874 Replies:12 FollowUps:25
This Thread has been Archived
What is with all these "Place Comment" Threads that are appearing on the Forum. It seems to be a recent thing. There are 8 instances on the current Forum page.
Sure, I don't have to read them but they do clutter up the place and would not be of general interest.
I know, I know, Crabby Old Bugger. You bet!!
Isn't Places the place to go to read comments about Places? I place it before you. lol
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 8 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2022 at 06:45

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2022 at 06:45
G'day Allan, Most would agree but without those annoying posts, the forum wouldn't move at all. It's certainly different to what it was 20 years ago .
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 639830

Reply By: ModSquad - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2022 at 10:17

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2022 at 10:17
Hi Allan,

There has been a shift in policy.

Until recently Place Comments were hidden by mods so they were only visible for a short time. Not long ago David and Michelle decided that there was benefit in leaving the info they contained visible to travellers, so that's what we do.

Cheers
Moderation is just rules

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 639832

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2022 at 10:25

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2022 at 10:25
Benefit to whom?
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 918913

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2022 at 11:50

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2022 at 11:50
Hi Allen, Just to answer your question it is a benefit to people like me who only get to see them once a month or so when we are in internet range, like today
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 918985

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2022 at 12:30

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2022 at 12:30
Great but they don't need to be in the main forum - once in a month when you have internet if you want to look at them then they should be available on an appropriate spot on the site but not in the main forum.

No one is saying not have Place Comments - it is just where they should be listed.
FollowupID: 918986

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2022 at 13:12

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2022 at 13:12
It is a Forum, not a universal Bulletin Board or advertising folio.

"Forum (noun) : A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged."

Conversation doesn't arise from a "Place Comment" post.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 918987

Follow Up By: John Baas - Saturday, Mar 26, 2022 at 02:07

Saturday, Mar 26, 2022 at 02:07
Crabby old bugger!
FollowupID: 919034

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Mar 26, 2022 at 14:39

Saturday, Mar 26, 2022 at 14:39
Hey hang on........ not so bloody old!!!
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 919043

Follow Up By: John Baas - Saturday, Mar 26, 2022 at 15:33

Saturday, Mar 26, 2022 at 15:33
Was just re-quoting a prominent sage on this Forum Allan...heh heh. How's things with you both? Chris and I are well, all things considered - still traveling (now that our Emperor has finally opened the WA border - just back from ACT/Sydney). Cheers.
FollowupID: 919044

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Mar 27, 2022 at 21:35

Sunday, Mar 27, 2022 at 21:35
All good John. Down in Bendigo in the new RV visiting family including my new Great-Great Grandson. Hows that for an Old Bugger?

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 919063

Follow Up By: John Baas - Sunday, Mar 27, 2022 at 23:17

Sunday, Mar 27, 2022 at 23:17
Congratulations Allan; I can't top that!!!
FollowupID: 919067

Reply By: OzzieCruiser - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2022 at 10:27

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2022 at 10:27
I agree - pointless to me but I can see that they may be of interest to others - remove from the main forum search that currently lists new posts and put these "Place Comment" threads in a separate section that you have to deliberately go to rather than having them come up in the basic search.
AnswerID: 639833

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2022 at 10:27

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2022 at 10:27
Allan,
V7 of Traveller encourages users to participate more in keeping the Places database up to date. As a Place admin, I think I see more activity in Places since the release of V7- that may have something to do with it.

Maybe with Covid-closed borders re-opening people are on the move again - another contributing factor, maybe?

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 639834

Follow Up By: Member - PhilD_NT - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2022 at 11:15

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2022 at 11:15
The update to V7 is what started me in updating and/or adding new places. The new ability to better locate Places by fully zooming in is great. I'm now reducing many Personal Places that I had placed in correct locations and occasionally I find it necessary to add a comment related to them. There have been a few that I've come across that can't be relocated as I understand that if they are used in a particular Trek then they have to stay where they are, so a comment may be necessary to point people to the correct spot, such as when it's on the other side of the road or the Facility has been relocated (eg. dump points).

I guess that there may be people who have been to particular Places before and maybe confused to see that the icon has moved so comments would be worthwhile to explain what happened.

As to those comments appearing on the Forum itself, a few of them have interested me as they are related to planning our next trip.
FollowupID: 918915

Reply By: Member - David M (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2022 at 12:11

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2022 at 12:11
Think it might be a good idea to have your attention drawn to any correction on a mapping system.
Several years ago heading West to WA I was looking out for the Big Gala at Kimba. My Nav put it on the right hand side not the left and by the time I realized the mistake I was in Wudinna.
Got it on the way back though.
Dave.
AnswerID: 639836

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Mar 17, 2022 at 22:49

Thursday, Mar 17, 2022 at 22:49
But David, we are not in a "mapping system", we are in a forum page.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 918938

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Thursday, Mar 17, 2022 at 23:29

Thursday, Mar 17, 2022 at 23:29
True Allan, but I'm more than happy to have these inconsistencies raised on any site provided it gives me the correct information to assist me on my travels.
David.
PS. You ever driven past the BIG GALA Allan :)
FollowupID: 918939

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Mar 17, 2022 at 23:40

Thursday, Mar 17, 2022 at 23:40
I'm not sure if I have driven past David but I'm sure that you would have given me a wave if I had.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 918940

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Mar 18, 2022 at 08:36

Friday, Mar 18, 2022 at 08:36
Is it “Gala”, or “Galah”? Sorry, couldn’t resist. :)

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918941

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Friday, Mar 18, 2022 at 09:20

Friday, Mar 18, 2022 at 09:20
Spot on Macca. Dropped my aitches. :)
Dave.
FollowupID: 918942

Follow Up By: TrevorDavid - Friday, Mar 18, 2022 at 16:01

Friday, Mar 18, 2022 at 16:01
David

Reckon Allan done ya there with his comeback. LOL

Rather funny

Regards

TrevorDavid

Edit, .. And remember not to forget your aitches. Could become a real problem that. Sharp as a tack 3030.
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918943

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Friday, Mar 18, 2022 at 16:48

Friday, Mar 18, 2022 at 16:48
Think you could be right there Trevor. Although I resent the inference I can't deny it. :)
Dave.
FollowupID: 918945

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2022 at 12:33

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2022 at 12:33
I too find them to be 'clutter' in the forum.

Perhaps a single thread entitled "place updates' & made 'sticky' could save the clutter?

Good to encourage updates, just think there may be a better way to do it. Pretty Please. ;)
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

AnswerID: 639837

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2022 at 13:20

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2022 at 13:20
Strangely I posted a new 'place comment' (for Moreton Telegraph Station) a short time ago & it is not showing up on the forum. Perhaps it is done manually? Or only if the comment is made via the Traveller app?
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 918916

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Mar 26, 2022 at 14:35

Saturday, Mar 26, 2022 at 14:35
Up until recently they have been hidden on the forum. Prolly why u didnt see yours.

They are generated automatically to the forum not posted to the forum by the Place Commenter so a single thread really doesn’t work.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 919042

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2022 at 14:39

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2022 at 14:39
My point is this..........

Look at the image below. There are site sections for Products, Destinations and Community, each with sub-sections. Traveller and Places are each in their own sections just as Forum is in the Community section.
The Forum is described as a community page of "exchange of opinions, comments, and ideas" primarily of 4WD-ing. We are not permitted to place Blogs or advertising expressions in Forum threads, they have their place elsewhere, but of late the Forum page is becoming overshadowed as a Help Page for the Traveller app and now posts of "Places" editing are appearing frequently. I understand that "Traveller" is a valuable product but it may be unwise for it to become pervasive.
The "Camp Fire" is becoming crowded.

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 639838

Follow Up By: equinox - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2022 at 15:54

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2022 at 15:54
Hi Al,

I don't mind the extra posts, though don't always read them.

To be honest I've only opened up one other non-places thread on the current page (JJ's Fishing Trip Video)

Carrying Jerry's doesn't interest me (at he moment) and not really interested in Sparkies from Adelaide - I'm sure I'm not the only one. There's a good spread of interests though.

I've always thought of EO as a traveling website; I am more interested in Geography than 4wdriving.

cheers Al

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918918

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2022 at 16:24

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2022 at 16:24
And Hi Al,
I have long recognised that you have a focused interest on the Forum and that is, of course, fine.
My interest is not all-encompassing but I do feel that all these "Places" threads are rarely more than housekeeping. There are 7 of them appearing on the current Forum page, and mostly of no general interest.
It is just plain messy.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 918919

Follow Up By: TrevorDavid - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2022 at 17:15

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2022 at 17:15
AB

You hit the nail on the head in your opening thread…Crabby old bugger LOL.

Just because your not interested, doesn’t mean others aren’t.

I’m much the same as Equinox, if it doesn’t interest me I don’t read it.

Perhaps Cuppa’s idea or something similar would keep everyone happy.

Regards

TrevorDavid
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918920

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2022 at 19:35

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2022 at 19:35
He is not saying they may not be interesting, just that the general forum is not to have the the information and that they would be better located elsewhere where those who are interested can find them.
FollowupID: 918922

Follow Up By: TrevorDavid - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2022 at 19:47

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2022 at 19:47
Oz

Al,s response to the Mod Squad, (Benefit to who) , suggests the opposite.

I half agree, well not quite half LOL.

Don’t care if they stay or go , I have more to worry about.

Regards

TrevorDavid
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918924

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2022 at 17:02

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2022 at 17:02
I am with you on this Allan.

We have seperate tabs for the Forum, blogs, wildflowers, places etc, so why not a seperate tab for place comments and keep the forum free for other chatter.

Unfortunately for me, as good as Places might be here, there are still far to many good places either not in places, or there are sometimes errors that should not be there, and for that very reason, you only have to talk to seasoned travellers, the the Bible for travelling, like it or not is WikiCamps.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918929

Reply By: Member Kerry W (Qld) - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2022 at 12:00

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2022 at 12:00
Im sure Michelle will explain why the place comments are appearing on the Forum but Im sure they have been appearing for a long time - they are just becoming common now as people use the comments more.

From my perspective as one who is passionate about the excellent source of reliable info we have here, my best guess is.....Place comments are a good reminder to site users that the site is live and the info in it can be updated by individuals using the site. There is a bigger picture with ExplorOz and the forum is an integral part of the communication of that bigger picture. It seems lots of places are being visited but havn't had a comment or updated info about them posted for some time. As for traveller - I'm sure the more people who know about this feature, the more up to date info we will have on places when we are using traveller...dont just put it on social media where it gets lost - put it here where it is preserved for all.

Having them appear on the forum also allows input from others who may have relevant info as well.

I guess I personally havn't really been concerned about them growing in numbers, just thought they were a function of a live website.

Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 639841

Reply By: OzzieCruiser - Thursday, Mar 17, 2022 at 10:26

Thursday, Mar 17, 2022 at 10:26
So is Forum admin going to address the issues raised in this thread?
AnswerID: 639855

Reply By: The Explorer - Thursday, Mar 17, 2022 at 19:06

Thursday, Mar 17, 2022 at 19:06
Hello

One thing increasing the number of Places comments popping up on the forum is people reporting errors. If you spot an error in a place don't post a comment - use the Alert Admin function as shown below. They can then fix issue. That is what its for, (or just correct issue yourself using Traveller app etc if possible).

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 639860

Reply By: Member - PhilD_NT - Monday, Mar 28, 2022 at 01:43

Monday, Mar 28, 2022 at 01:43
Seeing that on my computer at least, new or updated threads fill less that a single page I personally don't see a problem with just scanning past any I'm not interested in then marking the page read. Could be because I may have been responsible for a couple of ''intrusions" and the way I'm working through deleting some of my Private Places and updating others there could be more coming.

I could get mildly upset though when looking at updated threads for further information but then find it was only updated by people deciding to have a chat with old friends and nothing to do with the subject at all. Wasted my time.

Surely there is a more appropriate place for such unrelated chat eg, emails, social media or dare I say it, a phone call? After all, isn't that the complaint being made here that there are more appropriate places for some subjects?

Signed: Grumpy Phil
AnswerID: 639985

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Apr 01, 2022 at 14:44

Friday, Apr 01, 2022 at 14:44
Hi Allan and followers - I have not had time to address your question until now, but please refer to my latest post. Thread ID 143486

And copied here FYI:

When you want to post a comment you have 2 options - if you give a star rating this is stored as a review and the comment remains only within the app/places/treks/blogs/track logs page. If you don't give a star rating then our system assumes you want to engage in an open discussion with someone so is republished to our Forum as a "Comment". This is great if you have a question, or want to spark a conversation but if you don't want your comment to be posted to the Forum - make sure you give a star rating and it will remain in the app/relevant web pages only.

PS: this feature has always been the same when posting comments on Places, Treks, Track Logs, Blogs or Articles on the ExplorOz website and has been in the Traveller app the same way for the last 6 years. Forum moderators have previously made an effort to hide unnecessary comments appearing in the Forum that should have been posted as reviews but its not guaranteed.

TIP: when you see a post appear with a heading "Places Comment" or "Article Comment" and there is a a box at the top this links you to the original source where the person posted the comment. This helps understand the context in which the comment was given.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 640045

Sponsored Links