Camping Locations on Stryzlecki and Birdsville Tracks

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 15:38
ThreadID: 19822 Views:2129 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Good Afternoon,

This

My wife and (4) yr old son are finally setting off on a (4) month sojourn to beat the Rat Race and are looking for unique camping spots "off the beaten track". We have all the usual spots but would be grateful for anything out of the ordinary.

We are predominantly looking at the main stretches such as Stryzlecki, Birdsville Tracks, Gibb River Road etc but would appreciate input for anything that is a little bit different.

that may be available that Oz members may have frequented that they may be able to recommend.

We understand that your "position perfect" spots
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RC(NSW) - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 15:54

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 15:54
The nerves have obviously gotten to me first up.... now doubt any of you who read this first up may have thought that I had reached camp a few hours early with a few beers on board....apologies!

What our post should have said was as follows:

My wife and (4) yr old son are finally setting off on a (4) month sojourn to beat the Rat Race and are looking for unique camping spots "off the beaten track". We have all the usual spots but would be grateful for anything out of the ordinary.

We are predominantly looking at the main stretches such as Stryzlecki, Birdsville Tracks, Gibb River Road etc but would appreciate input for anything that is a little bit different.

Unfortunately this will be one of many posts for us on this site so please be patient with us "newies"........

Thankyou
AnswerID: 95155

Reply By: MrBitchi - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 16:10

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 16:10
Welcome aboard RC. Don't worry about the odd slip of the finger, we were all newbies once...:--))

Birdsville track, campsite at Claytons bore, about 40ks north of Maree. Great overnight spot with a wonderful spa setup.

Halligans Bay on Lake Eyre, accessed from Oodnadatta track just south of William Creek. Camp right on the lake shore and probably have the place all to yourself.

Have a great trip.

Cheers, John.
AnswerID: 95161

Follow Up By: RC(NSW) - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 16:59

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 16:59
Thanks for the comments, John!

This will be an ongoing forum for us.... Thanks again!
FollowupID: 353975

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 16:45

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 16:45
goodday mate
2yrs ago we stopped off behind the ghost town of FARINA between lyndhurst and marree a beatiful spot on a farm very cheap with all mod cons donkey engine to heat water for showers flushing toilets plenty of shade just got to collect wood for your open fire or along the oodnadatta you have coward springs similar set up
plenty of good spots just stop when you find one and be aware of all the restictions about Koorie land etc

steve
AnswerID: 95165

Follow Up By: RC(NSW) - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 17:04

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 17:04
GOB,

Were these spots far off the track(s)? Signage??

Cheers

RC
FollowupID: 353976

Follow Up By: Member - Mike H (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 18:32

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 18:32
G'day Mate,
I agree with Steve. Farina is great.
As you come from Lyndhurst, a few klicks up the track there is also the Ochre Cliffs on your left you should take a look at
Farina is about 25 km from Lyndhurst, on your left, and the camping ground is about 1.5 klicks from the road.
Bring your own firewoood, but if you are lucky and depending how many others are there or just have been, some old ghan sleepers maybe alongside the fire bitts. The farmer frequently drops some off for you to use.

Enyo, Mike
FollowupID: 353992

Follow Up By: Member - Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 01:14

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 01:14
Yep,

It's called Fanina Ruins and also includes a bush campsite, adjacent to the farmhouse. Has basic (toilet) facilities.

Be warned though. Every bleeping fly in South Australia frequents the spot. "Don't forget the Aerogard"
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 354064

Reply By: Gossy - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 17:23

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 17:23
I second the Claytons Bore. Good spot if you have kids as there are showers and a spa fed by the artesian basin. If you let the water run for a while it gets quite warm.
dont forget the fly nets. It will make or break your trip. Have fun.
AnswerID: 95170

Follow Up By: RC(NSW) - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 17:48

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 17:48
Thanks Gossy,

Have heard that the midgies drive you nuts? Is this the case everywhere?

Cheers

RC
FollowupID: 353985

Reply By: Lech - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 18:36

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 18:36
Hi,

Montecollina Bore on Strzelecky Track is something you shouldn´t miss.

Cheers

Lech
AnswerID: 95188

Reply By: Crackles - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 23:30

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 23:30
Kalamurina Station on the Warburton River offer remote camping for a fee. Some nice water holes similar to Innamincka. Definately off the beaten track unlike the suggestions so far where you will be with the crowd.
Take the time to go out to Coongie lakes, cut through the Bore track from Bollards Lagoon, detour via Mt Freeling to the Talc mines & spend a day at Old Andado.
These are just a few of the spots the majority detour because they're in a hurry but well worth seeing.
Cheers Craig...........................
AnswerID: 95287

Reply By: Gossy - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 14:45

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 14:45
Just the flies for us. Some spots were worse than others. One spot was so bad (sorry, can't remember the name but it was just a stop on the side of the road in a creek bed), the flies were that bad in the morning we didn't even bother with breakfast. Just ate yoghurt in the car.
Don't let that scare you off though. That was one day out of two weeks. Sure the flies were there for the whole trip but afterall, it's Australia!
AnswerID: 95400

Sponsored Links