5343 kms, across some awesome country side

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 10:44
ThreadID: 24567 Views:4509 Replies:9 FollowUps:23
This Thread has been Archived
G'day All

Kir and I are home safely, we did just over 5300kms and crossed into 4 states and 1 teritory over 14 days. Our trip went;
Melbourne, Bordertown, Port Augusta, Cobber Pedy, Oodnadatta, Dalhousie, Mt Dare, across the Simpson (French Line, Rig Road, Knolls track, French line, QAA), Birdsville, Cordillo downs rd to Innamincka, Old Strzelecki track to Merty Merty, Cameron Corner, Back to Innamincka, Strzelecki track to Yunta, Danggali Conservation park and Chowilla Regional Reserve, Wentworth, Mildura, Karadoc, Romsey and then Home.

Our trip was fantastic and we travelled Eric, Dean, Jim and Costa. At Dalhousie we were lucky enough to catch up with Jiarna (John) and family, Ashley and Evan and at Purni Bore we were joined with Willem, Judith and Jeda. The desert is an amazing place and we cannot wait to go back and do the double crossing. We did contenplated it, but Innamincka was a must. The Jack performed fantastically and all vehicles recieved a fair punishing.
List of Damages on the jack include, 1 x bolt on bottom of shock stripped thread, Thanks to Tyrepower in Port Augusta who allowed me to use their work shop and could not do enough for us, 1 x gme UHF Aerial, snapped on corrigations from oodna to dalhousie thanks to the guys at MT Dare who pulled the same aerial of his tractor and gave it to us very reasonable price, 1 x Cooper St's blew the side wall, will be getting Coopers to look at it. 2 x spotlight globes.

A huge thanks to Ruth at Birdsville, who took us in like long lost friends and made sure we all had a great time. Jiarna and crew took off from birdsville and we said our farewells. We left the next day leaving behind Willem, Judith, Jeda and Ruth. Eric, Dean, Jim, Costa, Kir and I then travelled on. Kir and I left Eric and the rest of the crew at Cameron Cnr and head back to the old Strzelecki track to go home a different way as we had more time. We knew JohnR and Heather were heading up there but we all had no idea which way they were heading, but as fate had it we met them at the last possible chance, as they were turning the cnr up the old Strzelecki. It was an unbelievable meeting ans we were all so pleased to catch up. As we had time up our sleeve, we headed back to Innamincka with JohnR and Heather and also caught up with Wim and Judy.

We met some great people and many characters along the way. We also met some knobs, biggest one was Adam from Oodnadatta as perviously mentioned in Eric's post, so there is no need to go into that any futher. If you get the chance, the Yunta hotel with Callum behind the bar provided us a great meal and a excellent night of entertainment.

Thanks to everyone we share the time with. I could continue to write on but seems long already.

Crazie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 11:21

Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 11:21
Crazie,

Good to hear your trip was enjoyable. There's something about desert country isn't there.

You and Eric have got our imaginations revved up on your experience with the PRH at Oodnadatta. Of course there is a need to elaborate, unless of course you could be held libel for character assassination:-)
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 119540

Follow Up By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 23:39

Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 23:39
Hi Sandman

Not sure if telling the facts is considered a character assassination, but here is a version.
Eric broke a shock about half between, Coober and Oodna. We arrived in Oodna around 12.00pm. We asked for the Mechanic, we were told he was out and could we wait, yep no probs. Mechanic arrives back and we were told he was back but was just having lunch, but he knew we were waiting. No dramas, we have lunch and have a look around. He then walks out side and takes off. At this stage we are basically being ignored. We finally get hold of him and explain the problem, we broke a shock, does he have a replacement or something he can or we can manufacture. We then get a lecture on suspension and why we shouldnt lift 4wds, fine thats his opinion. We explain that we are in need of this shock and does he think he has anything to suit. Another lecture on suspension and then a lecture on 4wding. He still has not let us know if he has anything to assist us. He then goes up to the back of the cruiser with his fork lift and lifts it from the towball with one fork about 5 foot in the air, the bull bar is almost touching.

!MPG:8!

He is then asked to lower the 4wd as all we would like to know if he has anything. Another lecture on suspension and tells us he needs to take measurements. We say ok, so you have something, still no answer. Eric tells him what shocks will suit his cruiser, this dude disagress and says he needs to make some calls. Before he makes calls, we ask if he has anything, still no answer. ok in total we have been here for over 2 hours, with no answer to our very first and simple question. Half an hour later he comes back and tells us what shocks Eric needs, yep they were exactly what we told him. He said he could have it here in a day or two and we could stay in the caravan park, not sure but i believe he owns that too. We so that we need to keep moving, so we ask would mt dare carry any stock of shock, we are told most definately not. Ok so we ask ig he has any old shocks we could make some thing up, yet another suspension lecture. He goes to a cupboard in the work shop and starts pulling out old and buggered shock, all about half the size we require. I spot a toyota shock about the correct lenght, look to be a front off a live axle 100's, with a pin each end. I ask what about that one and we are then told that it is a very expensive shock and it is not what we need. We then come up with cutting off the pin and adding the eye to the bottom. When are very quickly told it would never last and we do not know what we are talking about. I say to Eric, see if he will just sell us the shock and see if he will weld it for us. Not sure is the reply, not sure what?? Can you sell it to us, yes but it is expensire, its a $100 shock, rip off but fine we need it, will you weld it, not sure, need to make some phone calls to find out. 20 mins later he returns to tells us it can be done but he will not do it.. I get frustrated and walk away telling eric to get the shock and i will go find some one else. Kir and I go next door to Des, who could not do enough to help us. It is now 3.40pm and Eric is still trying to arrange to buy this shock. 4pm Eric arrives next door with the shock, and grabs the old one. We explain to Des what we need and are reassure no prob. First he checks to see if he has any shocks to save the rip off next door as he explains it. No luck, so we cut, grid and weld the eye on and are charge a mere $10 or $20. Guys from the PRH comes over and asks Des to help tune his TV, Des explains he is busy doing this shock... it was a very funny moment.

This might not sound like much but in the moment, we could have saved 4 hours very easily.

FollowupID: 374708

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 10:53

Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 10:53
Did you notice, I wonder, does he have all his own teeth?

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 374718

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 19:29

Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 19:29
Crazie,

From the way your post reads, I have to ask whether you had an "attitude" problem.

Not wanting to stir you up, but I would like to balance your blast at the Pink Road House.

#1 Adam and Lynnie Plate opened up the Simpson for you and me. He single handedly signposted the desert (those pink signs - many are now stolen) well before the area was handed over to NPWS. He also provided the only recovery service for the region, and provided a 1800 phone number for Simpson desert conditions before NPWS.

#2 In 1988, I took my wife and 4 children up that way, and he and Lyn spontaneously offered their swimming pool for the kids as it was a hot day - awesome.

#3 On my visits into the desert these days, they always have great supplies from frozen meat to fresh produce. Its a great shop, with great food, and pink milkshakes in a fairly isolated area.

And I guess next time you guys will carry spare shocks.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 374759

Follow Up By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 20:08

Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 20:08
Dear Phil

I am please that you have had a great experience at the PRH and with the people there, i make my judgements on people after meeting them, I doubt very much I had an attitude problem, but thanks for the input.

I have merely explained what happended. I have not slandered the person or the place, but rather given an insite to our experience, as have you. I am sure there are many people who have had a great experiences there, as some that have not

Thanks for the balance, but it does not change mine and I am sure Eric's Opinion. Yes the food was good and the people inside were helpful.

I carried enough shocks for my 4wd, I also supplied shock bushes, Fuel line, air hose, cable ties spare shackle bolts to other travelers we met along the way, who we did not know,but were in need.

cheers
Adam
FollowupID: 374762

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 20:40

Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 20:40
Attitude problem ?

waiting for a mechanic for 2 hrs and still been polite ?

even when he was talkingbleep, we were still nice ,

even when he ripped us off on the shocker , we still said thank you

ok , I guess I must have a bad attitude , I need to chew tobacco and spit to fit in
FollowupID: 374764

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 21:12

Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 21:12
Adam and Eric,

Thanks for your quick replies, and glad you enjoyed your time in the magnificent outback. I was out there about the same time as you guys, but we were doing the Hay River down to Poeppels, so wouldn't have met up.

Your original post stated "We also met some knobs, biggest one was Adam from Oodnadatta as perviously mentioned in Eric's post".

So please understand that not all of us consider people who have opened up the outback, and provide a very important essential service for the past 25 years as "knobs". Thats where I'm coming from. I've listened to Adam Plate over the years and take his advice, particularly on tyre pressures. The guy knows his stuff.

Waiting 2 hours for a mechanic is no big deal in my opinion. You must have been in a big hurry. Would you get better service in the city??

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 374768

Follow Up By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 21:39

Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 21:39
Phil

I love the outback and grew up in rural Qld.

Upon our meeting and interaction i found him to be unfriendly, unhelpful, and generally rude to us. I am not saying he hasnt been good for other people. We actually met some guys in the Yunta pub who said a few years ago he helped them big time, but twice as many told us similar experiences, we must have got him on a bad day. My girlfriend who was with us also has made mention of how difficult he was.

I am just pleased it was not my 4wd that was lifted up by a forklift. We were not is a huge hurry, supose you just had to be there....

As i had previously said, I am sure there are many people who have had good experiences, just as there is many who many have had bad experiences, we, unfortunately had a bad one and i have just spoken about the experience we had. I am not saying that everyone should consider him a knob, but he is someone i consider to be one.

I was asked to elaborate on our experience and never asked that you share my thoughts and ask everyone to form their own opinion

cheers
Ads

FollowupID: 374782

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 22:08

Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 22:08
Funny, when I mentioned this story at the club meeting last week, I was told similar stories about his attitude, and "willingness to help"..

FollowupID: 374790

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 07:43

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 07:43
I think way to much time has been spent talking about this person " I " consider a idiot and not enough has been said about the fantastic people we met along the way . My overall opinion on people living in the outback is that they are a great bunch. There willingness to help down to the trust in people they have never met before . But for " my" experience , in amongst all these nice people, there was one idiot .
FollowupID: 374808

Follow Up By: Member - Stan (VIC) - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 12:15

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 12:15
Crazie,

I had to deal with the guy as well in Oodnadatta. I did found him to be quite strange but I did got some help out of him...

The MTR on my truck got hole in it on the Oodnadatta track and by the time I realised it is flat the sidewall got too hot and it was history. The tube in the tire didn't help either...

As I had only one spare for the trip we stop in Oodnadatta to get the
replacement. I asked for the tire guy and he actully got to meet us about 5 minutes later telling that he have to go somethere in 5 minutes...
Then I got the simillar lecture on us victorians making improvements for
the worse rather than better.i.e. steel rims instead of alloy one, tubes in
the tires, tire pressures, WRONG tires for the car (MTRs) and that the only thing which we dind't done to make it worse is to put the slit rims on... I found him quite funny thought after all thouse lectures...

Then I asked him if he can get me the same tread pattern tire (MTR)-
he said yes it can be done but I won't do it. The explanation was
that he will have to spend a couple of hours on the phone to organize
it and it is JUST a tire... So the only choice I had is to get tire he had
in stock (the same size but diffrerent brand/pattern) and just go without
spare and "You got 5 minutes to make up your mind cause I have to go"... Anyway I got a tire from him as I had the Simpson Crossing in front of me without the spare... Charged me $240 for the 265/75/R16 Hercules Terra Trac A/W 6ply...

Stan

FollowupID: 375168

Reply By: mattandlana - Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 11:33

Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 11:33
Crazie,

Great post - very enticing.

I'm interested that you blew spottie bulbs - mine last for years. I wonder if it was vibration. Are your lights stabilised with a bar at the top? What brand lights?

I tend to think that if I can see the pool of light trembling when driving on bumpy bitumen, then the lights need to be stabilised.

Matt
AnswerID: 119545

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 11:55

Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 11:55
Corgations from Hamilton to dailhousie were out of control lol . I am suprised the cars didnt rattle to bits lol
FollowupID: 374639

Follow Up By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 12:52

Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 12:52
G'day Matt

I blew one the same place i snap the aerial due to the corrigation as Eric mentioned, the second, the wire frayed off the back of the bulb, Kir and I were in the middle of no where, pitch black, spottie in pieces and soldiering the light with a mini blow torch and solder hahaha.

The lights have never had a problem, no they are not fixed at the top, but the Jacks air bag compatable alloy bull bar shake around heaps.
FollowupID: 374641

Reply By: GREENDOG - Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 13:53

Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 13:53
Hi Crazie good to hear you had a great trip mate,we are going that way in 3 weeks time from kadina to c-pedy,dalhousie back down to Marree,birdsville,Innamicka than home.Now was that your convoy i spoke to about 3 weeks ago on a saturday morning at 11.45 they were pulling into the cavan steak house for lunch on Pt Wakefield Rd before heading north.cheer's GREENDOG
AnswerID: 119551

Follow Up By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 12:58

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 12:58
Hi Greendog,

Have a great trip mate, No wasnt us that you spoke to, wished I knew there was a steak house hahaha

ADs
FollowupID: 374840

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 17:00

Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 17:00
Pleased you two got home safely, just downloading emails here at Birdsville and come to browse. Pleased the others did too though.

Amazing as it was how you run into people but we met Stan, Wayne PD, Andrew W all along the way too..

I better go as this is about to choke on low battery.

Talk later folks
AnswerID: 119570

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 21:49

Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 21:49
Glad you are home safely - we've been talking about you tonight around the fire after huge dinner at Karstens! Came home early to watch Aust thrash the Sth Africans at Rugby. Jiarna rang last night from Adelaide and is going straight up to Alice.
AnswerID: 119605

Follow Up By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 23:01

Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 23:01
Whats the goss on me around the camp fire tonight?? hahaha

We cannot wait to get back up there. Say hi to everyone for us.

Ads xox
FollowupID: 374704

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 23:06

Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 23:06
So where are the photos? its all crap until we see the photos!!!!! LOL.

Sounds like you had fun.

Cheers
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 119613

Follow Up By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 23:40

Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 23:40
Hi John

Well thats my sand flag at Mt Dare and I have just posted tuff 80 on the fork lift after it was lowered a little, above. More pics to come

Ads
FollowupID: 374709

Reply By: Moggs - Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 09:29

Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 09:29
Greta to hear you had a great trip Adam & Kir. Look forward to hearing more about it and seeing the piccies. How did the cracked windscreen hold up??
AnswerID: 119634

Follow Up By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 09:40

Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 09:40
Hey Moggs

Great trip mate, will call you during the week. The windscreen got hit again, as suspected, and held up fine. Heaps of pics to Show you and Nat.

Catch up soon

Ads
FollowupID: 374717

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 18:11

Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 18:11
Great to see you're back and both safe, bloody old sook I am. Shame I couldnt catch up last week, but one day soon mate. Tell me how many litres across the Simmo from Mt Dare to Birdy?

Cya soon, give Kir a cuddle from me.

GWBonz
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 119670

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 20:55

Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 20:55
Hey Bonz you seem to do "OK" in life, Cuddle "Kir" and didn't I read else where on here about you giving someone else a cuddle.
So whats the story? all these Sheila's chasing you for a cuddle or you chasing them? LOL.

Cheers mate hope all is well with you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 374767

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 21:25

Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 21:25
John, maybe you should try it, and you'll find out...;)

Lyn
FollowupID: 374775

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 21:35

Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 21:35
Hiya Lyn is that an offer??????? ;)

Suppose Bonz could be onto a good thing.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 374781

Follow Up By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 21:44

Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 21:44
Hi Bonz

We used about 125L ish across from Mt Dare to Birdsville, was a cruisey drive.What about my cuddles?? or manly hugs ahhahaha

Ads

Hey Bonz, thanks for the cuddles, am not feeling too well, but you have made me feel much better.xxooxxoo Kir

ps, we will chat soon and catch up too, ads
FollowupID: 374784

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 07:00

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 07:00
John,

Of course cuddles make the world go around, and make us all feel better.

Adam,

YOU know that you can cuddle Kir for me but theres NO way she could give you a man ly hug from me, she is just too feminine for that, Next time I will ask her to give you a kiss from me, but not one of those open mouth ones like we do.

Lyn,

CYA Tuesday for a cuddle, and I might also give you that one from John hehehehe

GWBonz
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 374805

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 12:23

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 12:23
$hit Bonz you got it made, I think I will have to get lessons from you. LOL.

Cheers.

P.S. Lucky Lyn 2 sets of cuddles.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 374834

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 12:25

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 12:25
I was born Lucky John... :)

Lyn
FollowupID: 374835

Reply By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 00:26

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 00:26
Mate, glad you're back safe and sound.

Sounds like a fantastic trip, one that I hope to be able to get to in a few years. Maybe should've done it before kids, now will have to wait until they're old enough.

Cheers,

Smocky.
AnswerID: 119716

Sponsored Links