Flinders Rangers S.A.

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 11:10
ThreadID: 31065 Views:3992 Replies:10 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi to all......We are going to the Flinders Rangers in May for a month, being first time visitors to this region we dont know what to expect weather wise for this time of year, I know we will get wet if it rains and hot if the sun shines too much, so no smart answers please. We thought we would go at this time of the year because it might be a bit cooler, my wife can't stand hot weather, we will be bush camping in our Tvan most of the time, caravan park sometimes.......... Honest answers and places of interest would be appreciated......Thanks

REGARDS.....MICK
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: StephenF10 - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 11:37

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 11:37
Mick,

Go to Climate Data and have a look at Angorichina, Arkaroola and Hawker. It should be very nice in May.

Stephen.
AnswerID: 156645

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 12:51

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 12:51
Mick,

May should be a good time to visit the Flinders.

Being the end of the Autumn season, day time temperatures should be moderate (maximum - mid 20's) while the minimum temperature over night should be coolish but not freezing.

Definitely won't be too hot so your wife can rest easy.

If rain has occurred in the region just prior to your visit, there may be higher than normal levels of water in the creeks, etc., but shouldn't be any flooding at that time of the year.

One month. Wow, you should be able to "do it all".

Bush camping.......Willow Springs (home of Skytrek) has some beaut, secluded bush camping spots, with only the inclusion of a "rain water tank" style long drop at each camping area. Showers are available at a central site close to the homestead. Don't miss Willow Springs. Skytrek is definitely do-able in a normal 4WD and you will be given an instruction sheet telling you when to change to low range, etc. Willow Springs is also central to the Pound, Blinman, etc. that you could use it as a base whilst in that area.

Also plenty of other places to visit/stay. Rawnsley Park, Wilpena Pound tourist park, Blinman are just a few of the many places you may consider and bush camping in some of the Gorges, such as Brachina Gorge, (my favorite) are very good. Most camping areas within the National Park have discrete toilet blocks which are long drops with no smell whatsoever, due to their design.

Have a good one!
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 156656

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 13:04

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 13:04
I agree with Sand Man,

Don't forget Warren Gorge further South, and the drive in there has lots of interest too, Mt Remarkable National Park, the walk to the falls below Angorichina Village, to name just a few.

There are no camping areas around Wilpena except in the caravan park area, unfortunately, and Wilpena does make a good base.

If you like ruins and the like, they are aplenty.

Try also headed up North incl to Wirrealpa Station, Old Beltana (I think the races are on about that time, though you'd need to check), Lyndhurst and Farina again, to name but a few.

Ciao for now
Andrew.
FollowupID: 410731

Follow Up By: tvanmick - Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 00:35

Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 00:35
To Sandman
Do you think we could "do it all' in a month, I am not so sure, sometimes we get comfortable in a spot and just veg out...but then again we can be flat out or stopped, who knows ? One thing We are sure about is that we are going to have a great time. Thanks for your info it is most appreciated.
Regards ....Tvanmick & Wife
FollowupID: 410916

Reply By: Patrol22 - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 13:00

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 13:00
Mick - I was in the area in Sep-Oct last year and to say the least it was spectactular. Unfortunately due to a back problem I missed the planned week in the Gammon Ranges. That said, and remember this is my view only, Sep is great with the wildflowers in blook and the countryside pretty green generally. I can thouroughly recommend the bush camping on Arkapena Station (has some very good albeit rustic facilitiew - flushing toilets, hot showers etc). Good point about this place was that firewood was replenished daily and came as part of the camping fee which from memory was $6/night. I didn't particularly like Angorchina mainly due to the foul sewage stench that wafted into the caravan park each evening. Brachina Gorge was superb bush camping and if you get the chance do miss out on having a meal in Blinman (either at the Pub or the wonderful Cafe). Just keep in mind things happen rather slowly in Blinman - population of 17 and don't expect too much and you will thoroughly enjoy your stay.
If you are into 4WDriving - make sure you do the Moralana Scenic Drive (free), Arkabena Scenic Adventure ($30), and Mt Samuel ($45). Skytrek is another one on Willow Springs that is OK @$45. Friends that went further north reported that Chambers Gorge is a must see but thought that Arkaroola was very much in need of a facelift (or at least a bit of maintenance) and it was very very read VERY expensive.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Pete
AnswerID: 156657

Reply By: Patrol22 - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 13:04

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 13:04
ooooooooops forgot to mention...if you are looking for excellent caravan parks to do the washing or take a break from the bush I can recommend the Morgan Caravan Park (Morgan SA onthe banks of the Murray River) and Orrooroo. Both are clean and are run by really nice friendly people. Good places to restock as well.
AnswerID: 156660

Reply By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 13:45

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 13:45
The Flinders Ranges Caravan Park in Hawker on the Leigh Creek road is an excellent stop.

Mambray Creek (Mt Remarkable National Park) on the road between Port Pirie and Port Augusta is worth a night or two, lots of nice walks and wildlife.

A nice base on the western side of the hills is Mount Little Station about 11 km north of Hawker. Has an outstanding toilet block in the bush camping area and the T-Van will get in OK. (If Mrs Hentschke is still there she is an excellent host -08 8648 4206)

Some nice bush camping spots in Brachnia Gorge

Enjoy, a month will not be too long.

Cheers

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 156667

Reply By: Member - Camper (SA) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 14:37

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 14:37
Agree with all said so far. if you go up further to the Nth Flinders - The Gammons the country if even more rugged and spectacular with great 4dw tracks.
Around Hawker wear your fly net though.
Camper
AnswerID: 156673

Reply By: Rick (S.A.) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 19:32

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 19:32
Don't forget to allow a good few days at the Jewel of the Flinders, Warraweena. Google it or search it on EO.

can also highly reccommend the P.A.R.'s..................the Public Access Routes. Google them or visit the website of the pastoral Board of S.A.

The private trips routes are also classy. Some one has mentioned Willow Springs...just one of many, all very bloody good.

Search the BoM website for hawker & Leigh creek weather info.......that is the Bureau of Meterology. It still may be fairly warm

Take a fly net each......................indeed, never leave home without one each!

the 'net is your freind on researching the Flinders.

best text - as defined by history, geology, flora, fauna & genearal info definitions - is the Royal geographical Society of S.A.'s "EXPLORE THE FLINDERS RANGES".

Enjoy. take a risk. Move around a bit.
AnswerID: 156725

Follow Up By: tvanmick - Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 00:15

Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 00:15
Hi Rick
Thanks for the info and yes we always carry our fly nets and a few spares, I even have a modified one so I can drink my bundy.

Regards Tvanmick & Wife
FollowupID: 410908

Reply By: 1KZ-Mick - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 20:57

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 20:57
Mick,
A good read before going (and a great travel guide) is "The Flinders Ranges, An Adventurer's guide" by Ron and Viv Moon.
It covers all the PARs and all the self drive 4wd tracks aswell as camp sites, scenic spots, historic sites etc etc...
We got ours for about $25 from Rays Outdoors.

Mick.
AnswerID: 156753

Follow Up By: tvanmick - Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 00:08

Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 00:08
Thanks Mick
This book sounds like it could be very helpful, I will be buying it to take along with us.
Thanks again...Tvanmick & Wife.
FollowupID: 410905

Reply By: Member- Rox (WA) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 23:28

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 23:28
Don't know about the weather then, but Must see is Sky treck(roof top) and Echo back track(valley trip)(out of Arckaroola.. see my Plot swap file for details).

Traveling through/ across dry rivers is amazing, carn't get it here in WA.
AnswerID: 156782

Reply By: Rob Ackland - Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 11:05

Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 11:05
Lots of good advice there. Probably the easiest single source of information is the RAA map of the Flinders Ranges. It gives you all the PAR's as well as contact details for the private tracks. So a useful point to start with. The Moon's book is now somewhat out of date but still a good source of information. The most up to date guide is Explore Australia by 4wd by Craig Lewis and Cathy Savage

No-one has mentioned the Horseshoe in the Southern Flinders nor Merna Mora Station both of which have some very good 4wd'ing and accommodation of all sorts from basic camping to three star units. Rawnsley Park station offers similiar advantages and is a more convenient option on the Eastern side of the Flinders as the tracks are closer, along with Wilpena Pound rather than having to drive from Hawker. On the Western side you have Merna Mora and a couple of other spots.

Plenty of history in the area so take the time to visit Blinman and have lunch at the Parachilna Pub. Try the Feral Mixed Grill (FMG) delicious

Bush camping is limited to specific areas as there is a lot of national park around so permits are required.

Apart from that a month will not be enough to have a relaxing time and see all the Flinders. Weather in May is pretty close to perfect and can get quite cool at night.

Enjoy your first time in the Flinders I am sure you will be back again

Rob
AnswerID: 156829

Sponsored Links