NSW State Forests

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 18:24
ThreadID: 32933 Views:1857 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Just went up to Barrington Tops for the Easter weekend. We camped in the State Forest (our first Easter with a dog).

We were amazed by the number of people lighting fires with WET wood, including one family near us who would light a fire then go out for the day. Huge areas of campgrounds covered in smoke.

The biggest pain was the way people drove up there. There are heaps of tracks almost all of which are more than suitable for small cars but the tracks are very narrow and winding. We were almost run off the road several times by flying idiots.

The forest area itself was great and the State Forest people do a great job keeping facilities clean.

Having rarely experienced such pathetic behaviour from fellow campers, is this the normal behaviour in State Forests or was it just the Easter weekend bringing out all the idiots?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: kesh - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 18:38

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 18:38
Sadly M & M thats the way people behave these days. Apart from the fact that we (wife and I) work several months of the year i remote W. Qld. we also get around the bush for a fair bit of the rest.
These days we do not divulge any places we prefer to keep to ourselves, which means not going back to find a load of garbage left behind by the last person to visit.
I am a very firm believer in having open gates to all crown, forest, public (NP) land, but when you see the result one can only shiver.
As you so correctly observe --- such pathetic behaviour ---
Barrington tops used to be such a wonderful forest region (and pleased to hear that you also camp with a dog, it gets cold up there at night!)
kesh
AnswerID: 167251

Reply By: Geoff M (Newcastle, NSW) - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 18:50

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 18:50
Hello Mike and Mary,

Sad for me as a local to hear of your experience,

"Having rarely experienced such pathetic behaviour from fellow campers, is this the normal behaviour in State Forests or was it just the Easter weekend bringing out all the idiots?"

Bit of both really, Barrington Tops is a vastly different place from when "I was a lad"

Mostly Easter or any other long weekend brings out the real tools. You can still find them at most any time of the year.

Where'd you camp?

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 167252

Follow Up By: Member - mikeyandmary (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 19:08

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 19:08
about 2km from the Allyn River. One of the State Forests campsites in the Chichester State Forest.

I'm thinking of returning on a "non-public holiday" to see what it's really like...
FollowupID: 422362

Follow Up By: Geoff M (Newcastle, NSW) - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 19:37

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 19:37
Mate, go back as planned.
You picked a beautiful part of the world.
Your experience was most likely spoiled by Easter.
Funny thing, having lived in Newcastle and on the Far North Coast for my entire life I refuse to travel much beyond the front gate at Easter. I'd rather enjoy the world sans the average long weekend DH.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 422363

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY VIC) - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 11:50

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 11:50
gday Geoff
I remember camping at Barrington tops as a young fella in the early 60s and no one was there ,,,just me. I used to drive down from Tamworth and when i moved to Sydney i still did the trips now and again..I remember waking up covered with snow once........Havent been there since 1967. so i imagine that it is slightly differant now.
Have a good Easter
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 422469

Reply By: Mike Harding - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 19:48

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 19:48
Rule No. 1 - Always stay away from areas 2WDs can access.
Rule No. 2 - Always avoid holiday weekends.

Rule 2 may be broken if you have a 4WD and are going to a sufficiently remote area that 80%+ owners of 4WDs would not venture into.

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 167260

Reply By: Jo and Mark - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 21:01

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 21:01
We never ended up making it away for easter weekend as I left it all too late, but had we of gone our intention was to go south of the border and/or inland 4 or 5 hours if we found anywhere, for the very reason of avoiding all the idiots and those that don't pay any attention to campers ettiquite (sp?). Is all well and good for people wanting to get away... but they don't seem to take the campers or drivers ettiquite(sp?) away with them. Hence all of us who do do the right thing end up with a spoiled time away and no relaxing getting done.

Joanne
AnswerID: 167277

Reply By: roofscooter2 - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 20:20

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 20:20
M & M,sorry to read of you're ordeal. Wife & i travelled from Bris. down to Kyogle ,Grafton, Ebor (beautifull waterfall),stayed the night off the side of the road near state forest, then onto Dorrigo (more waterfalls) the into the other state or national park on way to Armadale great walks to the Gorge's .Stayed the night in truck stop near Guyra (got very cool)then onto bald rock nat park sunday night very good camping there ,we even had a young fellow on trail bike come & asked if we minded if he camped next to us .WE were travelling in a motorhome so it made it easy to move around . I guess what i am trying to say is instead of stating in one place in busy times is to move around if you can afford to then you may not have to put up with other bleep . Cheer's Bob.
AnswerID: 167429

Sponsored Links