outback with two kids

Submitted: Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 13:41
ThreadID: 32952 Views:2159 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
hi

we've been already traveling the gibb river road with our little daughter (she was 18 months). now we're coming back to australia and we are looking for a nice route.

we'll start in sydney or perth in feb 07 and we'll fly back home in june 07 from darwin. the only "must see" for our girl is uluru.

by this time our girl will be 4 years and our son 15 months.

thank you for your advise - your favourite tracks and places

thomas wieland, zürich - switzerland
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Emma Claire - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 14:56

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 14:56
Hello- I live on the east coast roughly mid way between Sydney and Brisbane, and my husband and I are about to start a year long caravan journey around Australia. I have already seen quite a few places on the east coast though, and thought I'd mention just a few of my local favourites, in case you come through this area.

I live on the mid north coast of NSW at Port Macquarie, about five hours north of Sydney if you happen to decide to drive up the coast from Sydney. Port Macquarie has plenty of lovely beaches and a nice river. Also head a little further south from here on a coast road and check out the beaches at Bonny Hills and Dunbogan- there's a lovely bush track out to the headland at Dunbogan.

Also in this area, about an hour north of here, and on the coast se of kempsey is South West Rocks, another beautiful spot. There is an historic gaol which you can do tours through, plus a wonderful lighthouse in the Hat Head National Park, called Smoky Cape Lighthouse...there are walks from there down to some secluded beaches...all very pretty with top views.

Further north, my husband and I love to stay at Yamba and Lennox, Ballina and Byron Bay are all lovely.

I'm not a big fan of the Gold Coast, but the Tweed area is nice.

And much much further north I have been to Cairns, diving on the barrier reef, to the Daintree, Cape Tribulation etc, and I think that's all really worthwhile!

Happy Travels!
AnswerID: 167355

Follow Up By: toro - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 15:15

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 15:15
thank you very much for your inputs - we already went once to cape tripulation. our trip to cape york was interrupted by a car accident - we were involved in a rollover near roper bar (pretty area) in the golf country. I broke my neck 3 times in 2002.
FollowupID: 422487

Follow Up By: cruiser - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 17:42

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 17:42
Ditto to Emma Clairs comments.

I also live at Port Macquarie and all the places mentioned are well worth visiting.
FollowupID: 422513

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 21:25

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 21:25
Thomas,

To break the journey (for your sanity and the kids) I think the East coast has more towns to break any journey. Each town with thier own reasons to stop and visit, which may suit a more family orientated holiday.
Having said that I think the interior of Australia would provide the contrast in scenery that your kids would not be used to in Switzerland. So it depends on how long you and the family are happy to sit in the car during any given day.
I can't comment on the south of Western Aus. as I have not been there so I'll leave that for someone with experience in that region.
Whatever route you choose I hope it is safe and enjoyable time in Australia.
If you choose to travel the East coast and up to Darwin, you may want to consider flying to Alice Springs and Uluru as opposed to driving, it is a loooong way from any part of the coast. It really depends on what you want to experience and see.

Regards Trevor.
AnswerID: 167466

Follow Up By: toro - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 16:53

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 16:53
Hi Trevor
thank you for your advise!
but South Western W.A. looks almost like central Europe ;-) - or n.z. so what we really want to see is red sand... and of course the beautiful swimming spots in the N.T. like Berry Springs, Katherine Gorge etc. Our kids are used to travel for hours and for us it's the 8th time to travel through OZ.
FollowupID: 422791

Reply By: Crackles - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 22:32

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 22:32
It's damn hot in February so I'd suggest heading south along the East coast. Best 4x4 driving in Oz is in the Victorian High Country & suggest you look at some of the trip notes on this site & in guide books.
Hop on the ferry to Tasmania & spend 4 weeks down there. Great beach driving on the west coast, excellent National parks & plenty of history.
As it cools down in April head accross to South Australia up through the Flinders Ranges to Innamincka, accross to Birdsville, down to Marree & along the Oodnadatta track. Do the tourist run of Ayres rock, Kings canyon, Palm valley to Alice Springs then North up through Kakadu & Litchfield.
Should be able to fit most of that in 5 months..........
Cheers Craig.........
AnswerID: 167483

Sponsored Links