TV and travel

Submitted: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 09:37
ThreadID: 34167 Views:3899 Replies:11 FollowUps:32
This Thread has been Archived
This is just going off on a different tangent from the earlier remarks about Channel 7, The Simpson Desert, Grant Denyar etc.

My biggest gripe with TV and travel is that the ordinary family watch Getaway and The Great Escape and are made to think that to travel around Australia you need a wallet that could choke a camel. They paint unrealistic pictures of resorts that cost an arm and a leg a night. If they go "outback" at all they do shows on places where you again pay a small fortune. All these things are way beyond the budget of the ordinary family. So they think they can't go and just head to the beach every summer like they have for years.

These TV programs never show how you can pack the kids in the car and head out camping or staying in cabins at cps and see more of Australia than you could at any flash resort.

It's true that a lot of people have no idea about The Simpson Desert, or which state Birdsville is in, or what rivers are where or even the names like The Georgina, The Diamantina, the Gascoyne, the Fitzroy etc etc. I think if I went on about that my gripe would be aimed at the school system, but that's another subject.

I did a Quiz Night for our local town once and one question was "In which state or territory is Daly Waters" .... very few got it right!! The majority of people just don't know much about the land they live in.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:03

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:03
Willem is correct. Many o/s tourists know more about our country than we locals do. But don't just blame it on the school systems (that's too easy, we blame everything on them).
What many forget is that 4wd has only been popular with "the masses" for a relatively short time. While there have always been plenty of travellers, the volume has never been huge until relatively recent times. As a nation we are now far more likely to be interested in things Australian than ever before.
A pity we still have TV people who think that the Simpson is flat. That remark must rate as the dumbest least informed snippet that I've had the misfortune to come across. And as I worked in TV in my younger days, I've come across a few !!
AnswerID: 174166

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:20

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:20
But why is it so dumb?

Should Willem know that on the Simpson trip Channel 7 would be using a Tru-Pol with a geared tray 6x4 running .3 soft edge ND grad, white balanced through a quarter blue? Or that the WS would push in to a MS, craned on the jib arm and pipe dolly doing a l to r Mickey Rooney? No? then why should some bloke from St Kilda know about the Simpson Desert?

Would Willem know what the toll is on the Cahill Expressway? I bet the 10,000 motorists stuck behind him on the bridge at peak hour would be shaking their heads at his incomprehensible ignorance while he fumbles around for exact change in the glovebox. See what I mean?

He's a TV weather man. He's not an outback touring expert, he is a suburbanite getting out and about. Good on them. Probably the first time plenty of viewer's would have ever seen footage of the Simpson.
FollowupID: 430148

Follow Up By: Scoey (QLD) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:41

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:41
Spot on! Couldn't agree more! :-D 'nuff said really!

Scoey!
FollowupID: 430155

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:44

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:44
It's dumb because he's not the average Joe Blo. TV shows have an army of people who are paid to do background research etc. Now if I were going to do a job arm and pipe dolly bit of work, I'd have to make sure that my hoozy didnt end up in my whatsee, especially if I'm on national TV at the time. Right ? So, enter my little helpers. If they let me make statements such as "the knee bone's connected to the toe bone" then it's pretty dumb, is it not ?

Don't know the toll on the Story Bridge ? (and how many of you dont know where it is , eh ?). Well I mean its not a national icon, not part of our culture or history is it ? You probably havent had to pay it recently. Anyway, its not a constant.
But the Simpson, Lake Eyre etc etc etc aren't just bits of knowledge. They are part of what makes this country what it is geographically. They're there, on a map.
Maps, features, weathermen. Get it ?

Ok so maybe what I've written is dumb also. But I'm not getting paid to write it for an audience :)))))))))))
FollowupID: 430157

Follow Up By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:50

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:50
Toll on the Story Bridge???? Not as of this morning abyway ;-p
FollowupID: 430161

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 11:12

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 11:12
But my point was that the Sydney Harbour Bridge IS far, far more of an Australian icon (hate that word BTW) than the Simpson Desert ever will be, yet I don't think Willem would be ridiculed by everyone here if he didn't know much about it. (not saying he doesn't BTW, just he started the original post) Put the shoe on the other foot is what I'm saying.

I don't really mind either way, but I didn't see what's so outrageous about someone not knowing much about the Simpson. It's virtually uninhabited (compared to the coast) and has no real reason to be in anyone's general knowledge apart from the fact 0.01% of the population enjoy driving across it. He's probably indicative of 90% of the population. I don't see any reason for all the condemnation.

I know stuff all about the Riverina region, wouldn't expect to cop a pasting about it though if I went there. Wouldn't have a clue about Brisbane either.That's why you visit places. Be pretty boring if there was nothing to discover wouldn't it?

Frankly I enjoyed seeing the footage. Wish I was there myself.
FollowupID: 430172

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 11:25

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 11:25
"But my point was that the Sydney Harbour Bridge IS far, far more of an Australian icon (hate that word BTW) than the Simpson Desert ever will be"
Not if you live in Birdsville.

How many Australians have never heard of 99% of the rest of Australia I wonder?
Not many, its there on the TV. But at least we know that the Simpson Desert is flat (!).

It's a real divide, isn't it. The gap between urban dweller and anywhere west of the Blue Mountains.
They're flat too, aren't they ? :))))))))))))))
FollowupID: 430176

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 12:36

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 12:36
That's exactly my point Footie. Not many viewers, advertisers or television presenters in Birdsville is there? That's why it's not too high on the researchers priority list.

Unfortunately you are so very right about the majority of Australians knowing bugger all about their own country. Remember that contary to the romantic notion of the 'bush' in our culture, we live in one of the most urbanised nations on the planet. 80% within 100km's of the coast of something like that from memory (ahhh...furry at best).

Having spanned the city / country 'divide' my entire working life, I do see a big difference. This manifests itself in all manner of ways politically and socially. I lived in Sydney for a while and was astonished that only time WA ever made the news was for a murder. Country WA may as well not even exist.

If segments like this offer a chance for urban Australians see a bit more of our country and raises awareness, I guess it's a good thing to a certain extent. Hopefully they won't be moved to head out there for a look see. Too busy as it is.
FollowupID: 430202

Reply By: V8Diesel - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:06

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:06
Well said Vivien.

At the risk of appearing disrespectful (which isn't my intention), I think a lot of the internet forums (like this one) tend to reinforce this perception as well. A casual visitor soon feels they can't go anywhere without a 70 grand turbo diesel 4x4 fitted out with 30 grand worth of accesories and a $40K camper trailer. If they ask a simple question, they have 10 replies all telling them they need to spend another $2 grand worth of essential equipment or risk death, leprosy and bubonic plague.

The truth is you just don't need it all. You really don't. You can have a beaut time with just an esky, a couple of cheap folding chairs, a $90 tent, some bits and pieces from home, an axe and shovel, a $30 air mattress and a little $20 gas stove. I'll let you all in on a secret too, all you need to get to plenty of beaut spots is a reliable 2WD. A standard 4x4 is better still and will get you to most places.

I used to go everywhere in my old V8 Fords. In my old LTD (with an LSD) I've done river crossing well above sill levels, climbed all kinds of hills and got into heaps of out of the way spots.

I think there's an awful lot of over engineering going on these days. With the baby boomers retiring with massive real estate nest eggs and superannuation payouts, the marketing departments are in overdrive. Look at all the 4x4 shops, shows, magazines etc.
AnswerID: 174167

Follow Up By: Dean (SA) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 12:11

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 12:11
Mr V8 Diesel, how spot on,
The places we would go in our holdens surfing 20 odd years ago, sometimes the only cars that would get thru were the combi's.
Dean
FollowupID: 430188

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 12:29

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 12:29
Well said Mr Diesel.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 430195

Follow Up By: Member - Ray ( (VIC) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 13:25

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 13:25
I agree with V8Diesel,
I guess i have travelled most places around this country, at one time or other, with the most basic of equipment, and in a lot of cases, a vehicle that was little more than stock standard. I must admit, I have advanced from the tent and camp bed, but even so, did not spend a lot of money in the process!
For the newbie to the site, it is somewhat intimidating to read about all the expensive 4x4's, expensive add-ons, and so forth, and often wonder why folks tend to gear up for extreme remote travel, with all of the problems that come with it! Sure, I admit there are those who are able to afford the expense, and indeed, have a love of getting to those remote, out-of-the-way places, and to them I say good on ya! However, there are those too who don't have the money to spend on all that beaut gear, and only have the basic in vehicle and camping equipment, but want to see as much as they can with what they can afford. The other thing is, one really does not have to travel through those remote, dangerous areas in order to see the country. Australia is such that most places can be reached/travelled in reasonable comfort and safety. Just a comment, folks, and ceretainly not saying anything against those who enjoy challenges or remote travelling. What ever turns you on, I guess. Just want to say that travel and sight-seeing around this wonderful country can be done for a reasonable expenditure, one really does not have to go to the extremes to enjoy it.
Anyway, whatever is your go,...enjoy!
Bronco
FollowupID: 430222

Follow Up By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 20:52

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 20:52
V8 Diesel

We started off with a Nissan Pintara sedan, two man tent, some folding chairs, a table, and the bare minimum of other gear. It was enough and we had a ball. That was our first trip to the NT and we definitely were'nt campers before then. How quickly we got hooked and gradually added better gear. Still, though I think that you don't need every whizz bang thing that there is on the market. As long as what you have does the job you want..and even better if it's multi purpose.

All I wanted to say about the tv travel shows is that they make travel seem out of the reach of the normal bloke.... and it's not. I realise they are not aimed at that market, but every now and then it would be refreshing to see a program that was.

FollowupID: 430376

Reply By: cuffs - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:16

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:16
Who moved Birdsville & Broken Hill out of South Australia??? Don't tell the locals, sorry Ruth
AnswerID: 174171

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:49

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:49
Birdsville in S.A. ?????? better tell premier pete that Qld. has finally had a reverse population shift !! LOL.
FollowupID: 430160

Follow Up By: Max - Sydney - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 16:02

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 16:02
Broken Hill might be on SA time and have 08 phone numbers but it pays taxes in NSW too!
FollowupID: 430278

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 16:23

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 16:23
Birdsville = Qeensland.
FollowupID: 430286

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:17

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:17
Hi Vivien
Your right , so many ppl and not just the Cap' Cities know *ugger all about the country once past the city limits, when I had a poke at Sand Man I really think he has made an honest mistake but i have not got an answer back yet , I think it went over thier heads. Mungerannie is on the Birdsville Track in SA

Doug

[Part of Sand Man's comment in post 34158 ]

Many travellers would have driven through William Creek on the Oodnadatta Track and like Mungerannie in the Northern Territory, experienced the "Traffic Light phenomenon".
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 174172

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 01:05

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 01:05
Hi Dougy old boy!

I knew you were just revving me up, so I just let it go. I'm in such a good mood after our trip, it's hard to get out of neutral at the moment.

Yep, as I mentioned in Willem's Thread, I f**ked up. I admit it!....I'm a D**k Head!

Vivien has posted a very good topic though. You don't need much apart from the basic camping gear to enjoy a good holiday in the bush.

On the other hand, having additional goodies can make your stay in remote areas, that much more comfortable, even though one of my toys tells me that Mungerannie is in the NT:-)

As one accumulates different camping gear and tows a trailer of some kind to stow it in, it allows one to be totally self contained. I have wandered off with the shovel and did my business without any problems, but now, because I can, I prefer to take along a portable chemical toilet. It's more comfortable for the family and creates less impact to the environment, even though one may burn their paper afterwards.

I have very little idea how much of the 60 litre water tank I used on our trip, but it serviced 4 people for 8 days and I didn't need to touch the other 40 litres in two Jerri cans I also took. But if poop happened, I had adequate reserves. That was my choice, and the Cobb Cooker was used for 3 roast dinners, again my choice.
The Versalite provided great lighting around the camp site and the Thumper powered the light and the Engel fridge and the solar cell provided sufficient re-charging of the battery, all without any dramas.
But, then again, my Jack is 6 years old and my Camper is second hand, although it serves us well, so we can afford some of the other gadgets that we don't need, but make our camping trips more "complete".

Vivien, you have certainly make a valid point in the way that travel in Australia is presented by the commercial TV stations and outback travel is anything but what they project. One can only assume they have to appease all the advertisers and promote their "6 star" luxury resorts that they have set up at places like Uluru, for those who just cant "get down and get dirty".

Overall, we each know which method of travel and accommodation we each prefer and enjoy our outback experiences in one way or another. The important thing afterall, is to get out there and DO IT!

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 430432

Reply By: Member - Sharyn M (VIC) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:33

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 10:33
Yeah Vivien, I'm with you. We need some travel shows which relate to the average aussie family on a limited budget current to today, that showcase Australia as it truly is without the theme parks, then our knowledge of this great country would be broadened to say the least! Also the point V8 Diesel made is true, you don't need to spend heaps of money on vechicle or camping equipment to enjoy the experience.

Sharyn.
AnswerID: 174178

Reply By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 11:17

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 11:17
"If they ask a simple question, they have 10 replies all telling them they need to spend another $2 grand worth of essential equipment or risk death, leprosy and bubonic plague."

Very funny V8Diesel. I have often chuckled at how good we are on this forum at spending other people's money. "......in answer to your question, I think you should have the Rolls Royce solution although I could never afford it."

Some interesting points here. Be careful what you wish for as I would be willing to bet that many of the same people who say that the average suburbanite should get out and discover the 'real' Australia are the same ones who will lament the fact that you can't go anywhere nowadays without being swamped by people.

"Aaaah, I remember when I used to come here back in the 80s. You could camp for free and wouldn't see another soul for days! What do you mean that track has been closed for conservation? Used to travel it regularly in the 70s. No fishing! Who are they f%@#ng kidding? This used to be one of the best spots around!"

I can't argue that knowledge of our country is a great thing. But on some level, it is kind of nice to still be able to find spots that very few people know about.

Matt.

AnswerID: 174194

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 11:43

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 11:43
Matt, when I crossed the Simpson in the 80's, even the locals considered me slightly mad !
I can remember camping in Broome and not needing to book.
I can remember roadside stops where you were the only people there overnight.
I can remember that few people had heard of the Bungles.
I can remember the Corner Country in late December with no air con (not a great memory that one).
I can remember when strangers in country towns were outsiders not cash cows.
Geez, I can even remember the old cattle cars in Brisbane.

Pity I can't remember yesterday too well.

FollowupID: 430179

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 12:49

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 12:49
So true!!!!

I remember driving to Kununurra in an old 2A ex-army Landie with mate in the mid 80's. Went bush from Marble Bar through Goldsworthy etc. Nobody around except for the locals. We didn't even register the vehicles - no point. Shot or caught our own meat for dinner, bleep the whole time - totally feral after the first month. Golden days.

We did a couple of trips to the Kimberley in an old Bedford J5 with lounge chairs roped on to the back. Did another trip up there in an old LHD 2 litre petrol Unimog they bought for a song. 45kmh max. I've got a few pics somewhere, should post them up some day.

FollowupID: 430206

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 13:41

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 13:41
Hey V8, did ya have Cherryl with ya ? (You know, Feral Cherryl heheheh)
FollowupID: 430230

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 14:02

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 14:02
Nope ;-(((( Just 'Tuppy' the dog (which got a few smiles from those in the know:-))

Got to build myself a time machine one of these days. Life's not the same any more.
FollowupID: 430234

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 14:08

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 14:08
You are so right ! And neither are we (dammit !). Remember reading of your exploits somewhere, getting done by the local cop who slapped your wrists etc etc . Can't remember where I read it.
FollowupID: 430237

Follow Up By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 09:06

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 09:06
It would be very interesting to get you blokes around the same campfire!! What great yarns you could tell!!

Viv
FollowupID: 430459

Follow Up By: Footloose - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 09:18

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 09:18
Vivien, that's the scariest thought I've seen posted today ! :)))))))))
FollowupID: 430461

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 10:01

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 10:01
Just had a bit of a shuffle through the old shoe box of photos.

Found a few shots of the 'good old days'. Have to work out how to post them next.......I wouldn't hold your breath;-) Even found a pic of the 'scene of the crime' out the side of Broome cop shop about 20 years ago.

Have to catch up for beverage at some stage that's for sure.
FollowupID: 430470

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 12:07

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 12:07
Hi gang,

OK so I’m coming in late to this discussion, I didn’t watch the program and have the benefit of comments on 2 posts so therefore it’s a very superficial and circumspect comment on my part. The nub of the concern seems to be his representation and behaviour while there.

My guess is that these shows get local help while doing this sort of stuff. They need a crew to do the show and a crew to look after the crew so it seems highly unlikely that they would not have been out there with a large group under the guidance/advice of some professional. The logistics would make it impossible not to include locals I reckon. Maybe they should have got better advice or maybe they just ignored the good advice/instructions and decided to clown around.

My take on this is that it is the problem with TV, they want to outdo each other at whatever cost – that is $ and they don’t get too hung up on facts and the environment.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 174199

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 17:18

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 17:18
Hello Beatit, was just reading away here and then thought I better get in to stand-up for the locals. NOT ONE LOCAL WAS INVOLVED IN ANY OF THE RUBBISH SHOWN ON CH 7 TODAY (YESTERDAY OR TOMORROW) - I am very pleased to add. Very important, knowing people came from all over the place - the first LOCALS knew of it was when other people started arriving and demanding to know why said LOCALS didn't know anything about it, or when travellers who were following said 'caravan' of important people made it to town and reported on what was happening 'out there', Very interesting reading all the comments in the two Posts today. Off to get a campfire ready for Roast Lamb and all the vegies - very cold here today as well - need a wind break tonight at the campfire. Way more interesting than all the hyperbole and rubbish that Birdsville, locals, residents and visitors have had to endure for the past 24 hours.
Stephen L's trip which finished yesterday will give EO people much more pleasure to read and enjoy believe me. More factual - and not staged in anyway. Look out for it.
FollowupID: 430297

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 23:29

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 23:29
Ruth, was the aboriginal lady that painted the picture frame for them not a local?
FollowupID: 430421

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 06:49

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 06:49
Shaker, that's Fiona, my next door neighbour - very talented artist with textiles as well. She comes from Lake Nash.
No locals were contacted until after they arrived in Birdsville - all organising was done via Alice Springs.
FollowupID: 430438

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 08:40

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 08:40
Hi Ruth,

Now you know I would never be having a go at you and if the silly buggers had asked you I know they would have got the best advice. Just shows how incompetent their researchers are in my view - Alice Springs would not have been my first choice for info!

I hope you had a good camp fire and a good roast. I'll look forward to Stephen L's report.

Kind regards

Theo
FollowupID: 430452

Reply By: joc45 - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 13:20

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 13:20
Hi Vivien,
You all seem to have missed the point! These shows are not about roughing it; they are purely advertorials, a medium for pushing expensive resorts, and it follows that the more expensive location they report on in this show, the more money they get for it from those resorts. Nothing to do with seeing the great outback at all!
Gerry
AnswerID: 174212

Follow Up By: Member - Sharyn M (VIC) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 14:32

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 14:32
Hi joc45,

Exactly why I don't watch the likes of The Great Outdoors & Getaway, no comparison to the wide open spaces of the "Outback" and getting away from it all, not to mention better value for money.

Sharyn
FollowupID: 430247

Reply By: Member - Cruiser (NSW) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 15:20

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 15:20
We need more shows along the lines of the Leyland Bros or Malcolm Douglas or Alby Mangles or that other little bloke from Alice Springs who could drive/ride/fly everything (stuffed if I can remember his name) or Ben Darke when he used to do those trips before he got snapped up for Great Outdoors or Glen Ridge doing his outback expeditions.

Maybe some of the car manufacturers and trailer manufacturers should sponsor something like this and then sell it to The World Around Us.
AnswerID: 174237

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser (NSW) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 15:26

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 15:26
I got it, Troy Dan. knew I would remember it after hitting submit post.
FollowupID: 430266

Follow Up By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 20:07

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 20:07
Ben Darke was great..he seemed like a knockabout bloke. Troy Dann was ok until he put on the thong!! His sister, forgot her name, but will never forget her singing!! She was so full on but good fun to watch. Alby Mangels, what a character...I remember one episode where they were driving on a big open stretch like a big paddock..with only one steel post in it..and Alby managed to hit the post. Sort of like hitting the only tree on One Tree Plain. Of course Alby had the added attraction of Judy Green and various other gorgeous girls he just happened to have along on the trip with him. Whatever happened to Alby? Troy Dann started up a Pro Bull Riding thing...with Troy Dunn the bull rider from Queensland and a couple of others.

At least shows like those gave us a look at places and made us think that we could go out and see them for ourselves.

FollowupID: 430352

Follow Up By: joc45 - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 23:53

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 23:53
Troy Dan; didn't they name a drink after him?
Alby Mengels; how did those blonde bimbos of his survive the the blazing sun, panthers, anacondas, bunyips, et al, in those bikinis?
FollowupID: 430425

Reply By: eerfree - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:15

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:15
Cruiser and Vivien
You forgot to mention the Guru of the Outback, Russell Coit!!!!!

eerfree
AnswerID: 174318

Reply By: navaraman - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:49

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 21:49
Why the criticism of these TV shows. They obviously appeal to a great many viewers as they rate highly and have done for years. My g/f wouldn't have a bar of the Simpson if you paid her to go. A weekend at a health retreat in Daylesford or a trip to a Qld resort would appeal to her far more. Life would be pretty boring if we all wanted the same things.

Pat
AnswerID: 174340

Follow Up By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 22:50

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 22:50
Hello Navaraman,

It's true that these shows appeal to a lot of viewers. However if they could give equal consideration to all types of holidays and tastes it would be refreshing to see some segments on holidays that aren't as upmarket and expensive.

I agree that it would be boring if we all wanted the same things and I've got nothing against a week end at a health retreat in Daylesford, or a trip overseas for that matter. A bit of luxury every now and then doesn't hurt at all. But, my family have grown and so it's easier to do the more costly things.

What I was saying is that the focus is strictly away from the average family holiday.

regards

Viv

FollowupID: 430416

Sponsored Links