carnarvon gorge

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 16:50
ThreadID: 35334 Views:2316 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
just a bit of interesting stuff on before and after the gorge - try staying at warremba stn 13kms sth of gorge t/o....good place, excellent hosts and an interesting 10kms or so of walking track. also instead of sticking to the bitumen turn right after injune and go along the lonesome np road (great lookout) then continue along through the valley until it rejoins the main rd. when leaving the gorge go nth via consuella downs rd. beats staying on the blacktop. also there is a neat little diversion west of springsure through lockington the joins the capricorn at bogantan (might have spelt that wrong). rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noel W (Qld) - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 17:55

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 17:55
Thanks Maverick - we're heading up there on Monday next and coming in from Rollestone. This is our 4th trip but we haven't been there for quite some time. We were lucky enough to get a camp site in the gorge itself (where we used to always camp).

After that we are heading over to Mt Moffatt so we might be able to check out your suggested lookout on the way across.

Thanks for the info.
AnswerID: 180659

Follow Up By: Member - Ian S (NT) - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 22:30

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 22:30
Hi Noel,

I just love Mt Moffat. I think it is a really nice trip, stimulating, interesting and superb physical outcrops make it a great gig.
So many people get wrapped up in the Gorge alone, interesting as it is, I prefer Mt M.

Regards
Ian@Mt Dare
FollowupID: 436995

Follow Up By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 22:36

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 22:36
The drive from Springsure to Tambo is worth doing and Salvator Rosa Np is worthwhile checking out. Agree that Mt Moffatt is terrific and so is the drive and lookout Lonesome NP. It's an interesting area and you could spend lots of time exploring. Have a good trip.

Viv
FollowupID: 436996

Reply By: Member - AVA 191 (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 18:38

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 18:38
Hi Maverick,
We could be heading that way l8r in the year.
Are the Lonesome NP roads and Consuella Downs roads, 4X4, or could a Territory or Adventra manage ok ie. limited ground clearence and overhangs?

Cheers
AnswerID: 180666

Follow Up By: MAVERICK(WA) - Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 09:06

Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 09:06
no problem with those vehicles - just remember to slow down and enjoy the scenery. the track north from the springsure - tambo rd would be 'interesting' if wet though. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 437056

Reply By: Smithy51 - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 21:14

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 21:14
Hi Noel W & AVA 191,
just to add to what Maveric has posted allow time to explor this region I lived at Injune for many years and visted Carnarvons nearly every month in the 70's. The look out is excellent as u view across Arcadia Valley. All this area below as far as the eye can see was trees in the 70's & 80's. As u head north take the washpool road & check out Lake Nooganooga ask at the Injune tourist info centre if it has any water if so usually loads of wildlife. When at carnarvons check out Devil mans sign post it can be seen on your right as u approach carnarvons. Also explor the Amphi theatre, Violet george, the bluff, Battle Ships Spur thats approx a 12klm hike up & back the Art Gallery. The roads today are like hwys compared to years ago. Allow 4 to 5 days at Carnarvons.

Regards Smithy51
AnswerID: 180718

Follow Up By: Member - AVA 191 (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 20:47

Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 20:47
Thanks Smithy and Maverick, much appreciated. (waddya mean slow down Maverick, it's the only way I know...)
Thanks again.
FollowupID: 437186

Reply By: Bag Boy - Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 17:48

Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 17:48
G'day all, We are heading to Carnarvon Gorge around early Sep. What would be the best way, comming fron Cairns? We have planned a good coupls of days to get there.
Aaron
AnswerID: 180855

Follow Up By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 21:41

Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 21:41
What way were you planning to go?

Viv
FollowupID: 437200

Follow Up By: Bag Boy - Thursday, Jun 29, 2006 at 14:17

Thursday, Jun 29, 2006 at 14:17
Not sure... We are heading to Cairns for a wedding and have allowed a week or so to get back to Brisbane. Have been told to go to Carnarven, it's a really nice place. I'm open to any suggestion.

BB.
FollowupID: 437300

Follow Up By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Thursday, Jun 29, 2006 at 19:10

Thursday, Jun 29, 2006 at 19:10
You could go out to the Atherton Tableland, have a look around there then to Ravenshoe. From there you could go to Innot Hot Springs and to the Lynd Junction. If you want to stick to the bitumen head down to Charters Towers, if not take the road to Hughendon and stop for a look at Porcupine Gorge.

The Charters Towers way: down the Gregory Development Road to Emerald, to Springsure, Rolleston then Carnarvon Gorge. You could do the drive through Arcadia Valley and Lonesome Np then to Injune. If you had time you could also do a side trip out to Mt Moffatt NP then down to Mitchell east to Roma, Miles, Chinchilla, Dalby, Toowoomba and Brisbane. There's a good campground at the Chinchilla Weir. Mitchell has an artesian springs swimming pool. Injune is a nice little camp ground.

Hughendon: down to Muttaburra then Aramac and Barcaldine ... unless you had time to go to Longreach and the Hall of Fame. From Barcaldine you can either go to Emerald and then to Carnarvon Gorge or south to Tambo and onto the Springsure Road which takes you past Salvator Rosa and Ka Ka Mundi which are part of the Carnarvon NP's. Springsure, Rolleston, Carnarvon Gorge etc.

That's just a couple of ideas. Whatever you do, you'll have a good trip and Carnarvon Gorge is worth visiting.

Best wishes

Viv
FollowupID: 437424

Sponsored Links