Flinders Ranges PAR's

Submitted: Friday, May 09, 2003 at 21:28
ThreadID: 4817 Views:2610 Replies:2 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Arrived back this afternoon after 5 glorious days of camping and driving in the North Flinders Ranges. Spent the first night at Bunyeroo Gorge in the NP where a friendlt wallaby came to beg for food. The following day we tackled the Artimore Track. Slow going in High Range. White cypress pine forests. Met up with a mob from Mildura in 5 4bies. Used my Oziexplorer and GPS to pinpoint track off into Patawarta Gap. Here the serious chassis twisting and wheel lifting stuff started but the old G60 handled it well even with the trailer tagging along. Was down to first lowlow up a rather steep hill. Backtracked to find a good campspot for the night. Next day we had a reasonably easy run through the very picturesque Hannigans Gap and past Moolooloo Station to Nuccaleena Mine. Then back to Parachilna Gorge, Beltana, past Sliding Rock Mine to Warraweena Station which is a private conservation park. Very friendly people at the station and we paid our dues and camped out under the stars again. A cute fox raided our rubbish bag during the night, scattering its contents. The next day we dropped the trailer and headed for Mt Hack. Mainly High Range and slow going. Picked up the trailer on the way back to the homestead and saw what looked like a lookout point. Just got to the top to find the way down too steep. Decided to go back the way we came up with the trailer. A 6 point turn. Dropped the trailer off at the homestead and armed with a key for a locked gate set off on a serious 4x4 track. Driving up creeks with rockledges like stairs, wheel lifting stuff through washed out gullies up slopes in second low, squeezing past Red River gums and down a series of spurs where a wrong move could see you end up in the gully quite some 100 metres below. Spectacular country. Warraweena Station provides good campsites, excellent long-drops at each campsite and hot showers at the homestead. And wood for campfires is no problem. There is plenty of it. There are more tracks to explore at Warraweena but we left some for next time. Drove back today and dropped in at Jeff Morgans Panorama Art Gallery at Hawker. This is a new venture and is a must to see. The artwork is magnificent showing a 360 degree vista from St Mary's Peak. All together we saw 7 vehicles on the bush tracks and camped on our own every night under the Southern Cross. Top stuff!!

Check out the PAR's ( Public Acces Road ) using Google. There is a map you can download as well.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Friday, May 09, 2003 at 21:48

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 21:48
Hi Willem,

Sounds like a fantastic trip. Why no rig photo of your G60?

Did you mark any waypoints of your trip?

I am looking at visiting the Flinders Ranges July/August. If you have waypoints saved, could you email them to me?Just Do It!

AnswerID: 19546

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Friday, May 09, 2003 at 22:25

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 22:25
Hi Glenn,

Yeah, dont know about the Rig photo. It seems to happen sometimes.

The only waypoint I saved was where the track branched off to Patawarta Gap. UTM 54J 2760183E 6571890N. All the other track turn-offs have road markers. Buy a Hema Map of the Flinders Ranges. It shows you all the tracks plus all the privately run tracks. If you have the Natmap series digital maps you may find the tracks on the Copley Map SH54-09Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 12355

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Friday, May 09, 2003 at 22:27

Friday, May 09, 2003 at 22:27
And the other digital map is Parachilna SH54-13Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 12356

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 00:55

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 00:55
Cheers Willem,

Yes I have the Natmap series so I will note your routes looking at them. I have also recently bought the Moon's latest 'Flinders Ranges Andventurer's Guide' from the ExplorOz shop so as soon as I get a chance I will read through it.

I am looking forward to seeing the Flinders as I have heard how beautiful it is.Just Do It!

FollowupID: 12372

Follow Up By: Member - Mike (SA) - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 12:38

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 12:38
Glenn,
I am lucky, this is my backyard! I can certainly e-mail you a few track files (.PLT) including Waraweena. Any good?
regards
MikeToo little time in the bush!
FollowupID: 12401

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 12:48

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 12:48
Thanks Mike, that would be fantastic. My email address is glennamarshall@iprimus.com.au.

Where abouts are you if the Flinders are your back yard?Just Do It!

FollowupID: 12402

Reply By: shaky - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 12:00

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 12:00
Hi Willem
sounds like you had a great time. Warraweena is just fantastic. For all those folks intending to visit the Northern Flinders you should try and get to Warraweena.
AnswerID: 19580

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 19:03

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 19:03
Hi Glenn,

You can't go wrong with one of Ron and Viv Moon's books. Ron and Viv are personal friends of ours and our friendship developed from my writing for 4x4 Australia Magazine for 10 years from 1986 to 1996.

When at Warraweena the Managers, Stony and Gina Steiner, will give you a map of the station to help you along the tracks.

Warraweena is a property of WETLANDS AND WILDLIFE, a private non-profit company which is registered as an Environmental Organisation.

Fees are $10 per person per night for a bushcamp or bush hut. This includes all facilities. No pets, chainsaws, generators, firearms and motorbikes please, unless approved by Management. If you need to have or do any of these activities first ask and see where the land lies at that moment. I asked a question and received a positive answer.

E-mailwarraweena@internode.on.net
Phone 08 86752770

Have fun.
Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 12427

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 22:42

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 22:42
Thanks Willem for the info.

Must be nice to be a personal friend of a couple who revolutionised 4wding in Oz. I would love to be able to do what they do and experience everything that they have.Just Do It!

FollowupID: 12445

Sponsored Links