Got 5 days to waste between Katherine & Darwin what are must sees ?

Submitted: Monday, May 19, 2003 at 20:55
ThreadID: 5011 Views:5167 Replies:11 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Heading for Kimberlys and I have to waste 5 days around Katherine region & north while I wait for friends to catch up (have to meet them near Katherine). Considering heading north to look at a few areas ie Kakadu and the wetlands perhaps before the Cane Toads wreck everything or are there wetlands just as good elsewhere ? Can anyone recommend what to see up that way, Jim Jim Falls etc - any suggested itinerary ?
Also what is UDP Falls called now & where is it ?
Is 5 days enough to do a trip to Kakadu and also Litchfield NP ?

Sounds rushed perhaps ?
Thanks !
PS. Last time I was up this way was when I was 13 back in 1977.Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: geoffp - Monday, May 19, 2003 at 21:00

Monday, May 19, 2003 at 21:00
if ur into fishing head out to pococks an 2 mile and 4 mile hole even if ur not a fisho its worth a trip or go yo the lure factory or jumping croc boat trip or berry springs or the war museum or mendle markets on thurs or.... plenty to do just go! great place to visit
AnswerID: 20466

Follow Up By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Monday, May 19, 2003 at 21:54

Monday, May 19, 2003 at 21:54
We stayed at Pococks beach for 4 days on a fishing trip and my mate was stung by a box jelly fish, lucky it wasn't bad as it was a 4 hour boat cruise back to the South Aligator river boat ramp and another 2-3 hour drive from there.

Also i think you mean Mindil beach markets. (a must do!)

Kev.
FollowupID: 13124

Follow Up By: geoffp - Monday, May 19, 2003 at 22:12

Monday, May 19, 2003 at 22:12
kev
dont know about boat tripi drove into there. what the hell was ur mat doing in the water any way????? was he a tempory australian? apart from the crocs? i mean one of which passed thouugh my camp on one occasion as 4 the markets i hav seen it spelled mendle menndel mendil so im not sure
FollowupID: 13130

Follow Up By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Monday, May 19, 2003 at 22:44

Monday, May 19, 2003 at 22:44
Don't worry we wern't swimming, just got stung around the legs when pushing the boat back out after beaching it for the night.

I used to get stung on the arms after lifting the anchor at night, the tenticals would wrap around the anchor rope and i would end up grabing them........not happy.

I would always carry vinegar when fishing just incase.

Kev.
FollowupID: 13135

Follow Up By: geoffp - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 20:22

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 20:22
kev and loyal listners an interesting trick i picked up in my surfie daies is to pinch a pair of the missus winter nylons the heavy duty ones and either put them on ur arms or wear themto avoid those nastys ha wat a poof u might say but when i used to surf and the stingers were around that was the only way to go and it really works but take care when dis robing and scratching ur nose and other areas be the one smiling especially when forking out for that trip to g land or indo and find the stingers are out in force and the surf is ripping same said for barra territory i even do it when fly fishing up to my thighs
FollowupID: 13220

Reply By: Top End Operator - Monday, May 19, 2003 at 21:22

Monday, May 19, 2003 at 21:22
Mataranka and Douglas Hot Springs would be right at the top of my list

If this does not keep you occupied then you are in trouble.
http://www.wilmap.com.au/NTNATPK2.HTML
problem is you wish you had 10 days
AnswerID: 20473

Follow Up By: Jeff (Beddo) - Monday, May 19, 2003 at 21:41

Monday, May 19, 2003 at 21:41
Only real reason I really want to head quickly for a look is to see the Kakadu wetlands - saw on TV a report the Cane Toads were there already and I want to see the place before all the wildlife is gone !
I can come back and see the rest at a later date and also not after fish just scenery.
PS. Thanks for the advise & link.Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
FollowupID: 13121

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 14:49

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 14:49
Then head out to Yellow Waters, do the Yellow Waters tour and stop-off at Fog Dam on the way out/back.

Enjoy.Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 13183

Reply By: Dozer - Monday, May 19, 2003 at 21:45

Monday, May 19, 2003 at 21:45
Hi
I enjoyed Daily waters pub, and the air field nearby where there is a musium (key from the pub) of world war 2 things of interest.
The Darwin Warf is good to eat fish and chips on. the barra love a freebee too
Andrew
AnswerID: 20477

Reply By: geoffp - Monday, May 19, 2003 at 22:15

Monday, May 19, 2003 at 22:15
for got one go down the walk behind the courts to the fish feeding but check the times its some thing the kids/missus will love if going solo try the pubs the euro back packers are a hoot!
AnswerID: 20484

Follow Up By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Monday, May 19, 2003 at 22:46

Monday, May 19, 2003 at 22:46
The fish feeding is at Doctors Gully.
FollowupID: 13136

Reply By: kezza - Monday, May 19, 2003 at 23:41

Monday, May 19, 2003 at 23:41
If theres water flowing - At Kakadu Gunlom (waterfall ck) is magic(filmed crocodile dundee there when it wasnt flowing) Ubirr rocks at dusk - very magic.
Anywhere in lichfield is great, Edith falls north of Katherine - good for another swim.
At katherine - if not washed away by the big flood - springvale homestead is an alternative to the gorge for a visit and a swim Its interesting to see the flood debris in the trees above your head while standing ON THE banks of the katherine river - you are basically on a flat area of land and the trees are 40-50 feet high the river is 30 feet below you and there are literally trees stuck in trees 40 or more feet up. Hard to imagine the volume and depth and width of the floods they have.
South of Katherine - Mataranka springs is also a magic swimming hole.

Love the place
kezza
AnswerID: 20494

Follow Up By: Brian - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 00:09

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 00:09
Have the bats left Mataranka Yet ?????
FollowupID: 13143

Reply By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 08:34

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 08:34
People don't say 'the Pilbaras' so why do they say 'the Kimberlys'. It makes it sound like a mountain range or something. As the people who are most likely to visit the Kimberley or the Pilbara we should try and get it right. Just a small point, but I think one worth making.
AnswerID: 20507

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 09:15

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 09:15
A word comes to mind.............pedantic!Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 13159

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 13:11

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 13:11
Jesus Willem, a pedant would go berserk on this list. Getting the name of a major 4WD destination right is hardly pedantic.
FollowupID: 13173

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 18:29

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 18:29
Never thought of calling myself Jesus. But I like it. Could be a great new Member name:-)

Being an import to Oz of some 35 years standing and having spent more than 20 years in the NT I revel in the colloquial language of this wonderful country.

Why do we have to be so politically correct on names and places?

Having been teased for saying Bulli as Bully and Kirribilli as Kirribill-eye and for not knowing that Goonoo Goonoo was actually Gunnaganoo I soon learned to go with the flow of the language.....'Strine'. A long time ago I asked a cocky where the road to Bar-cal-deene was. He looked at me with a puzzled brow. I indicated the next town. "Ah, you mean Ba-call-din' !! Well..... I hope to continue to use the local sayings and as long as they understand me....she'll be right mate !!!!

Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 13210

Follow Up By: geoffp - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 20:25

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 20:25
just a tip look on a detail map kim and pil r 2 diff areas
FollowupID: 13222

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 21:37

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 21:37
Just using it as an analogy Geoff without implying any geographical association.
FollowupID: 13239

Reply By: Member - Willem- Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 09:12

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 09:12
Drive into Twin Falls and swim up the gorge on your air mattress. Walk up to Jim Jim Falls and climb to the top of the escarpment. Take a boat cruise at Yellow Waters. Drive to Nourlangie Rock and view the rock art. Down a few coldies at the Crocodile Hotel at Jabiru . Take a tour on the Jumping Crocodile Cruise on the Adelaide River. Visit the Window on the Wetlands on the Arnhem Highway. Take the backroad from Corroboree along the old Jim Jim track to the 47 Mile crossing. Visit the War Graves at Adelaide River Township. Have more coldies at the Hayes Creek Pub. Take the back road past Grove Hill through the old gold mining areas on the way to Pine Creek. Call in to Edith Falls for a swim. Meet your friends in Katherine. Don't forget to sit in the river at the Low Level crossing at Katherine and ponder your journey. You can spend a lifetime up there in the north doing different things every day. have fun.Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 20509

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 10:55

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 10:55
Jeff, a lot of the suggestions offered above are great, but you're right - 5 days just ain't gonna do it for ya.

Litchfield demands 3 days and is, IMHO, a better destination than Kakadu if you can only do one. On your way in to Litchfield make sure you visit the zoo. It has some spectacular walk-through bird enclosures.

Kakadu also needs 3 days to do the falls, Yellow Waters, etc. Fog Dam, on the journey out to Kakadu, is worthy of a visit but don't get tempted to lean in and pick a Lotus flower. There are more pythons and crocs per square metre in Fog Dam than just about anywhere else.

Forget Ahnum Land - you'd need another week.

Darwin to Katherine, with a stop at Mataranka will take the best part of a day and you'd want at least 2 days to do Katherine Gorge to any worthwhile degree ( I spent 5 days canoing/swimming the gorge's full length and could have spent another week in there - it was awsome).

Its a really tough choice - so many wonderful places but only 5 days. Good luck.Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
AnswerID: 20518

Reply By: Rod - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 11:26

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 11:26
Some ideas and ratings (more stars the better)

Katherine - Katherine Gorge ***
Mataranka - Mataranka Springs *
Kakadu - Yellow Water Cruise (~9am is good, earlier and crocs are asleep) ***
Kakadu - Nouralangie Rock Art **
Kakadu - Ubirr Rock at sunset (take mozzie repellant) **
Kakadu - Jim Jim Falls (check if road is open and amount of water over falls) **
Kakadu - Air Bed up to Twin Falls (did this with a 8month old baby) ***
Litchfield - Various Waterfalls etc *** Attractions are close to each other and relativley accessable giving lots of sightseeing for short amount of time
AnswerID: 20524

Reply By: GOB vic - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 16:19

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 16:19
and if all those suggestions cant fill your time for you beddo you are in BIG trouble
but enjoy it
steve89 nissan looking foward to august and more travelling
AnswerID: 20565

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 19:59

Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 19:59
Thanks everyone - yep I'll play it by ear and I will take note of the spots everyone has suggested. We may just want and rest before we head for the "KIMBERLEY" - thanks for the english lesson also.Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
AnswerID: 20711

Sponsored Links