It's finally happened........YIPPPPEEEEEE......

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 14:52
ThreadID: 53035 Views:7882 Replies:17 FollowUps:24
This Thread has been Archived
My beautiful, smart, wonderful, sensitive, caring better half, has this morning, dropped a bombshell on me. She told me to start looking into and drawing up a list for what we will/might need for a 3 month trip, incorporating the National gathering at Innaminka, and ending with us going to the Bathurst 1000 in Oct.

Our daughter will miss one full school term(12yo,grade 7), but we will have the laptop so she can still do school work (that we are hoping to get through the school) and send back for marking etc.

We will hopefully leave Maryborough QLD around the 28th/29th/30th June 08 (this depends on other commitments) and be back around the 15th Oct 08.
We have around 8 days to get to the National Gathering, and would like to be in Oberon around the 4th/5th Oct. All the rest of the time in between is open to discussion.

We have a Cape York Deluxe Explorer hard floor camper, that is being towed by a 3L, 07 Nissan Patrol Auto (this vehicle had absolutely no dramas on Fraser Island, towing the camper, through the really soft sand, and weighing in at around 1600kg (we were supposed to be there for 3 weeks, and had all our food for this time, but cut short by 4 days due to the bad weather).

We do not want to rush our trip and would rather see alot of one or two areas, and drive every 2-3 days (maybe even more days in between driving), than only see a little bit and drive like a bat out of hell and do lots of Km's. I understand this will happen anyway, but when we went to NSW 2 xmas' ago we only had 3 weeks, and got as far as Oberon. Some days we only drove around 200-300km's then parked up again.

We will probably stay more in c/parks etc, than bush camp, it just depends on how the girls feel.

Here is a list of what we have on/in the Patrol, and we will probably buy a second smaller fridge (40L)to have in the vehicle for day trips etc, and as a backup for the 50L.

I am interested in other peoples/persons views/ opinions on what gear we will need or is a good idea to have, for this trip.

The original tyres are still on. Bridgestone Desert Duellers. (17 x 8, not LT)

Tough Dog 2" lift and 45mm Adjustable shocks all round.
Airbag Man Airbags in the rear.
Nissan winch Bullbar.
IPF spot/spread lights.
Homemade Rear drawers(see pic).
Nissan/Rhino basket (2200mm x 1240mm) and crossbars, shovel holder.
Kmart roof pod (cheap and nasty but does the job).
Dual position Cargo Barrier.
Dual battery system... (2x Red Arc isolators, 90ah fullriver agm[protected with a heat shield], projecta fused distribution terminal, 50amp anderson plug for camper and compressor, 12v power board [replaced LHS rear panel], 2x 12v sockets in the back of centre console for our daughter and her gadgets.
Big W (AWA) $388 GPS (Great little unit for the price).
Uniden Uh015sx UHF with external speaker.
Nissan Snorkel.
Nissan Towbar.
T-Max 12500lb winch.
Tinted windows.
1x 8000kg snatch strap, 8000kg equalizer strap, Ass't rated bow shackles. ARB competition 9T snatch block, Just Straps 8T snatch block,
1x 11000kg snatch strap, 12T T/Trunk protector, 20m x 6T winch ext strap,
ERPS, beach pack.
Compressor (mounted on side of rear drawers, with a cooling fan bolted behind), with extra hose and fittings to use spare tyre as an air tank.
Tekonsha Prodigy electric brake control unit.
Canvas front seat covers.
Bushranger front and rear deep dish mats.
Fire blanket and .9kg fire extinguisher.(plus one of each in the camper)

Cape York camper.......
3.3T under carriage, 60mm stub axles, Peddars coil springs and foam cell shocks (with the ability to add another set of shocks to each swing arm).
AT35 hitch, with hand brake.
Stone guard with mud flaps.
50L Waeco Fridge or freezer (this is in the gullwing box on the front of the camper).
2 x 4kg gas bottles.
2 x jerrycan holder.
2 x 120ah Agm batteries.
2kva genny.
31" x 10.5" x 15LT Goodyear wrangler AT's x 3.
Extra box made and installed onto spare tyre carrier (to carry extra water etc, and to take some weight off the drawbar).
Porta Potti, shower/toilet tent.

Some things I would like to do is change the tyres/rims on the camper from 31"x10.5"x15LT to 17x8 to match the patrol. I will be replacing the brakes as they will not be up to this trip. Bearings , seals and swing arm bushes will also be replaced.

Sorry this is long winded, but as this will be our first real foray into the bush, I don't want to have it turn to crap and then have my beautiful wife and daughter not wanting to go away ever again.

Any advice, info, ideas, places to see, things to do, books to read, maps to get, anything!! will be greatly appreciated.

P.s For those who do not know me, I have two artificial legs (left leg-below knee amputation, right leg-above knee amputation). This has not stopped me doing what I want to do, yet (I have completed 2 Jenolan Caves walks, beach fishing on Fraser Island, renovated 4 homes). We will also have my wheelchair with us.
And I do drive our Patrol as it has been fitted with Hand controls.

Cheers Greg
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 14:55

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 14:55
Greg mate

Long time no hear from you good to see you have a Patrol now though. You have a very nice list there mate

Have a great trip
AnswerID: 279352

Follow Up By: Member - greg S (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 15:11

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 15:11
Troll81,
Yeah I thought it wise to move up in the world(some will say down) from our Terracan, but after coming home from up north a while ago and coming oh so close to hitting a big skippy, then trying to find a decent steel bar to fit, and not being able to, I then went out and bought the Patrol. Bloody nice vehicle too. Ok they are not the best on the black top, but off road they are great. Thought we might need the exhaust upgrade and chip before we went to Fraser recently, but it went really well. I actually pulled my little brother and family in their Navara and Jayco eagle camper behind Indian Head(4.5T). So as yet no need for the upgrades. But a front locker is still on the wish list, maybe someone on here might mention it that it is needed for this trip hehe.

I reckon it's too long as well, maybe another trip to LCMP or Mt Mee is needed.

Greg
FollowupID: 543499

Follow Up By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 15:14

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 15:14
we might be heading out there this weekend for a quick trip you should drive down and test her out?
FollowupID: 543501

Reply By: morto1701 - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 14:58

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 14:58
Greg

Don't think you need to much more. I did not see a Gunyah which would be good for lunch stops and alike other than that.

Have a Safe Trip
Morto1701
AnswerID: 279354

Follow Up By: Member - greg S (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 15:13

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 15:13
Morto1701,
Great idea, thanks.

Greg
FollowupID: 543500

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 15:11

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 15:11
When she sees the bill for all that she may change her mind!!
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 279358

Follow Up By: Member - greg S (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 15:21

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 15:21
Michael,

All of the stuff that's on that list is what we already have. And she knows exactly what it has cost....bugger!!!. Hopefully it will not cost way too much more, or you will be right, she will change her mind.LOL

Cheers Greg
FollowupID: 543503

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 15:23

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 15:23
Im confused, is that a list of things you NEED/WANT, or have?

If its what you need/want, you will be selling the house before you go.
FollowupID: 543504

Follow Up By: Member - greg S (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 16:49

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 16:49
Truckster,
Mate, it is what we already have. Essentially what I am trying to do is find out what others think is/might be necessary for this sort of trip. Since we will (hopefully) be going to the National gathering, I am asking what others have taken or needed to get there safe and sound (because we have never been out that way or anywhere near there before), as well as doing more touring around outback SA, QLD??,NSW areas.

Cheers Greg
FollowupID: 543520

Reply By: ben_gv3 - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 15:21

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 15:21
Is there a reason you're not changing to LT construction tyres, other then them now being worn down?

With all the driving in those locations I would think LT tyres would be the go due to increased longevity/puncture resistance.
AnswerID: 279362

Follow Up By: Member - greg S (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 17:14

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 17:14
ben_gv3,
If this trip comes off then there will be a set of at least 5 new light truck AT's (at a minimum) going on the Patrol. The camper is a different matter, as it already has LT tyres on, but they are only 15". So I would like to change these to 17 x 8 rims with the same tyres to match the truck.

Not too sure if I will keep the rims and tyres from the camper after the change over. It will be only to keep them and sell them with the camper(whenever that may be).

Also not too sure whether to get a second set of rims and put the AT's on them and then just swap them over with the original rims and tyres when we get home. Be a hell of a lot cheaper just to swap the tyres over on the original rims!!!.

Sorry I didn't put this in, but it was getting too long as it was.

Cheers Greg
FollowupID: 543525

Reply By: Dave(NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 15:55

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 15:55
greg S
Long range fuel tanks & duel wheel rear bar would be handy,Since you have got the go ahead lockers front & back and I would hurry before the better half changes her mind!!
Cheers Dave...
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 279368

Follow Up By: Member - greg S (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 17:44

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 17:44
Dave,
A long range tank, would be handy, even if it is only to replace the sub tank. An extra 40L under the truck is better than 40L on top. I really don't want to add more weight behind the axle. Don't get me wrong I would like to have the extra range with the replacement main tank, but not too sure if it will be needed,(but if it is I will seriously consider it) and the weight factor is something that I really try to be aware of.
Dual wheel rear bar, would also be great, but the weight behind the axle is getting up there with the camper on.

I am thinking of just taking the one spare for each (truck and camper)and one or two tyre carcass' and the gear to change them. Or would it be better to take two complete spares for the truck, one for the camper and one spare carcass.

What do others think. If this is the wrong way of thinking I would like someone to let me know.

Cheers Greg
FollowupID: 543531

Reply By: Grungle - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 16:09

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 16:09
Hi Greg,

Probably a 240V inverter to charge batteries and run laptop and some sort of supplemental charging system such as a high output smart charger (240V) or solar panel and smart regulator. At least with the 240V smart charger you can use in conjunction with the gennie you have.

Probably look at addition communications such as HF radio or Satphone.

Watertank in the car would be handy for extra drinking water or showers and long range fuel tanks in the Patrol would be my recommendation.

Have a great trip you lucky bugger!

Regards
David
AnswerID: 279369

Follow Up By: Member - greg S (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 18:07

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 18:07
Dave,

Sorry mate, there was some things that I see now I should have put in. I apologise to those I have inconvenienced.
There is already a 15amp 3 stage charger mounted in the gullwing of the camper. I would like to replace it with a bigger charger, but until it dies that won't be happening.
And the camper has a 100L water tank.

I will look at communications. Have you any experience with either of these, whether bought or hired. Looks like I will have to compare the costs.

We have a few 10L and 20L plastic water drums, so hopefully these will suffice for some extra drinking water, but if not will then have to look at something else.
A while ago I thought that a water bladder across the rear floor with a false floor over the top might be ok, but the plastic taste that others complain about concerns me. It will be ok for hand washes etc.

Thanks.

Cheers Greg
FollowupID: 543535

Reply By: Member - Bruce and Anne - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 16:21

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 16:21
Hi Greg, good onya mate you will all have a ball. Maybe I could sneak into the back of the Nissan for the Bathurst hahahaha.

Cheers Bruce

PS will try to call in next week, weather depending, if we get to Hervey Bay.
AnswerID: 279375

Follow Up By: Mark & Jo, S/side, Bris - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 18:23

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 18:23
Hello!!!!!!!!! long time no see!!!!
Hows things!

Cheers
Jo
FollowupID: 543543

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce and Anne - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 19:00

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 19:00
We're good Jo hows Mark? We must try to get a gang together and have some fun.

Cheers Bruce
FollowupID: 543553

Follow Up By: Mark & Jo, S/side, Bris - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 19:24

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 19:24
In 8 weeks or so my roster comes around to me having 5 days off.

Maybe we might all be able to catch up over then. Send me your email addy and when we get a little closer to that time I might email out and set up a gathering for that time.
FollowupID: 543575

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 16:27

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 16:27
Read this and you'll realise you don't need to waste any money on ERPS.
ERPS feedback

AnswerID: 279376

Reply By: Member - Effie C (ACT) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 16:40

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 16:40
Oberon and bathurst at that time of year lots of warm winter woolies, blankets etc, gets a tad cool compared to Qld, bloody cold in fact.
Live One Day at a Time for Tomorrow May Never Come.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 279378

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 16:56

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 16:56
Spent many weekends down on the Turon at Sofala (just over the bridge on left) as a kid, gold panning with the olds.. lovely spot, but havent been in 15+yrs.. would love to see what its like now.

and yes, it gets cold and WET at bathurst
FollowupID: 543521

Follow Up By: stefan P (Penrith NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 17:36

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 17:36
Truckster, after rain its as beautiful as ever down there. Last time I went was in the hight of the drought, no decent rain for months. The poor old river wasn't even flowing just some stagnent ponds. Should be good at the moment as we have had some good rain lately

Cheers Stefan
FollowupID: 543529

Follow Up By: Member - greg S (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 18:14

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 18:14
Effie C,

Thanks for that. Looks like we will wearing some thermals. Hope they have some pretty colours, because the last lot I wore back in "91" were the old cowboy red ones.
I suppose the one good thing about travelling about at that time of year is that I don't mind the cold weather, but the wife and daughter is another matter. A couple of electric blankets for the girls might be in order, or the trusty old hot water bottle.

Cheers Greg
FollowupID: 543537

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 17:11

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 17:11
Have you weighed your truck at all - loaded? 9 cars I took to murray sunset weighed trucks, and not one GU was legal weight! Just something else to think of.
AnswerID: 279392

Follow Up By: Member - greg S (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 18:48

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 18:48
Truckster,

Yeah mate I have already had the truck and camper weighed. Just before our recent trip to Fraser Is I went to the local concrete place where they weigh in 10's of kilos. Would like to know exactly, but within 10 or so gives us a fair idea.
The truck weighed in at 2.8T, plus wife and daughter, 20L extra diesel, maxtrax, plus some extra gear.
With draw bar weight it came in around 3.2T

The camper weighed in at around 1.48T, plus we had to put the 50L waeco full of food into the gullwing box. At the time we had it weighed it had a tow ball weight of around 120kg. The only thing we didn't have was 100L of water on board as we got the water over on the Island.
For this trip we will have the tank full, but we wont have all the other stuff we took to the Island with us, like, kids room and poles, 20 x 30 foot tarp, extra ropes, pegs and poles, extra food, lino strips(used for paths to the toilet/shower tent).
But I suppose this will be substituted with the spare tyres and extra gear needed for this trip.

It will be something I will try to keep a very close eye on.

Thanks Truckster.

Cheers Greg
FollowupID: 543546

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 20:51

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 20:51
Truckster, in regard to Sofala area!!, Has not changed in 50yrs mate, my olds dragged us kids out there a good fifty years ago, they used to love the area sofala, Hillend, anywhere along the
Turon. Was out there last weekend, not alot of difference except

a bit more black top, OH !, the sofala pub reopened again after been closed for a long time looks good same old relic ready to fall down, but a new owner and a coat of pink paint and she's trading again! Get your Arse back up there! Great part of the world

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 543603

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 22:57

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 22:57
If I went back there Axle, I wouldnt want to leave. Just had a 2hr phone call with a mate in bleep ney who is all depressed with city living, wants OUT! Got me thinking too though :(

made a mistake just then of lookin on realestate.com.au for Rural houses at Sofala.

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=o&id=7169448&f=0&p=10&t=rur&ty=&fmt=&header=&c=42345213&s=nsw&tm=1199274863

Agree, awesome part of the world - right thru to Mudgee, Hill End, etc etc.
FollowupID: 543634

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 22:58

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 22:58
or this one at Sallys Flat near Hill End
LOT 71 - GLEN WILLOW
$197,000
SALLYS FLAT
* 294.67ac (119.3ha)
* Frontage to Green Valley Creek
* 4 Dams
* 4 Paddocks - in good stock proof order
* Registered Landing Strip
* Some arable and grazing country
* Building entitlement currently being approved by council

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=o&id=7183975&f=0&p=10&t=rur&ty=&fmt=&header=&c=44496432&s=nsw&tm=1199275012
FollowupID: 543635

Reply By: Pezza (Bris) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 17:14

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 17:14
"Essentially what I am trying to do is find out what others think is/might be necessary for this sort of trip."

How are you Fella,

Mate, tell Venessa from me you have waaaaaaay too much stuff !!
All you really need is
1x KTM 950
1x hikers tent
1x sleeping bag
1x pair jocks
3x packet dehydrated quick meals
1x 1lt flask bourbon

and mate, that'll keep you going for 3 months easy !

Cheers Mate and have a great trip :-))
Pezza
AnswerID: 279395

Follow Up By: Member - greg S (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 19:13

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 19:13
Pezza,
Mate if I could reach the bloody pedals of your bike I would probably ride off into the sunset, but it's when I have to stop, that I could come unstuck.

What's with this 1L flask of bourbon, the way I have been going through it over the xmas break, I will need to tow a trailer of the stuff. haha

Cheers Greg
FollowupID: 543563

Reply By: Mark & Jo, S/side, Bris - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 18:25

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 18:25
Greg if there is anything else that you think you might need, You could just go and 'borrow' it off Roachie...
Your list is just about up to is!

Jealous mate...bloody jealous....

Cheers
Jo
AnswerID: 279406

Follow Up By: Member - greg S (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 19:00

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 19:00
That's right Jo, Roachie will be at the Gathering. I wonder if the flag will make an appearance. hehe

The way I look at it Jo, is that if we have the gear required to drag our sorry butts out of the crapper, someone might be inclined to help us. Unfortunately we came across a number of people on the Island who were bogged and didn't have the required gear, not even a shovel. It should be mandatory on every new 4wd sold.

Like the old saying goes, I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. When it comes to safety (and my family's and friends safety especially)I reckon it is the only way to be.

Will have to catch up soon.

Cheers Greg

FollowupID: 543552

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 18:37

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 18:37
Hi Greg S

Great idea. I would add a solar panel to keep up the power for your daughter's sound systems and laptop. We mounted an 80w on a light timber frame and stand and put it to face the sun when we stopped then faced it ready for sunrise when we went to bed. We had it charging a deep cycle battery in the camper, which also had trickle charge from the Patrol. Even at last light of day it brought the battery up quite quickly. We have now mounted it on the roof of the F250 fibreglass canopy and it kept the battery on full charge even in dull weather.

As for missing school - i missed much of Grade 7. First i got a bad flu and complications which kept me out of school all winter, then we went overseas for a couple of weeks (following the death of my grandfather in Malaya) then just got back and go another virus that took the most of the school year to get over. It didn't set me back any as i still got good grades in the end of year exams (which was the only thing that counted way back then). The time spent travelling was worth more than if it was spent in the classroom.

Go for it

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 279408

Follow Up By: Member - greg S (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 19:08

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 19:08
Thanks Motherhen,
I might have to give the solar a bit more thought I reckon, even if it is only on the truck.

As for missing school, when I was a lot younger, way back in 78/9 we started to travel around Australia (with our mum and dad in tow) and only got as far as Mount Isa (from Sydney). Thats where it all ended. I had a ball travelling back then, and hopefully our daughter will as well. We will try to spend around 2-3 hours a day with her and her school work, so it should work out.

Cheers Greg
FollowupID: 543559

Reply By: Member No 1- Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 19:30

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 19:30
you want to leave swmbo (and the ankle biter) at home and take me as your navigator instead?
AnswerID: 279424

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 22:16

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2008 at 22:16
No extras needed but maybe another Nissan and Supreme caravan for company of your beast. I can offer the services of one trusty green machine as far as Innaminka but who knows after that.

Unless getting really remote your truck and trailer will eat up the "dirt roads" out to Innaminka and back to the coast (can't see them being too different to the B/Ville track and Windorah road and that was fine for my car and van last year). We hired a satphone for the trip (you know, Judy was 38weeks, so I wanted a safety net) and that would be the only other consideration for you if travelling solo. Extra communication if you intend on getting off the beaten track.

Happy new year.
Trevor.
AnswerID: 279461

Reply By: Geepeem - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 14:39

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 14:39
HI Greg,

I noticed from your post you have a cape York CT.
What do you think of them ... any problems?.
Which model do you have and would you recommend it for off road travel.
Sorry I cant offer any advice for your trip - I am new to this game but learning fast.
Hope all goes well and you have a great trip.
All the best,
Thanks in advance for feed back on the Cape York,
Cheers,
GPM
AnswerID: 279533

Follow Up By: Member - greg S (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 23:48

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 23:48
GPM,

The Cape York camper we have is the Explorer Deluxe. It has the same Independent suspension as the Extreme does. Coil springs with Peddars foam cell shocks (and the ability to add another shock to each swing arm as there are already mounts for them)
Hot dipped gal chassis and aluminium top.
The kitchen is great, because if you have the fridge in the gullwing box, all you have to do is turn to your left to access it. My wife loves this as she has really easy access to the fridge when cooking. Some other manufacturers I have noticed, have their fridge on the other side of the kitchen.
We purchased ours second hand as an ex hire model about 2 years ago. It had a few scratches and so forth. The brakes were ok then, but they are not good now, so they will be replaced, as will all bearings and seals, and the swing arm bushes.
We had ours rewired with heavy duty wiring to the fridge and had an electronic meter, 6 fused-switch panel, wiring for a solar set-up (just have to add the regulator and panel), and an extra 120ah Agm battery.
I will be doing a few more things to it before our next trip, like changing the tyres and rims from 15" to 17", to match the Patrol.

Would I recommend it for off road, depends on where your "off road" is. If you do serious rock hopping then No (don't know of any that will survive this). But if you are into 4wd touring then Yes.
We purchased ours for this reason, to go pretty much anywhere the 4wd will go (within reason of course, and sometimes if that reason sees us in a pickle then we have the necessary gear to get us out) [hopefully].
I have also added two recovery hooks at the rear of ours as there wasn't any. If you are buying new then see if they can do this at the time of manufacture as it will be so much easier then.

If you need any more info just ask.

Hope this helps

Cheers Greg

FollowupID: 543815

Reply By: Max - Sydney - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 18:57

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 18:57
Hi Greg

You've had lots of replies about stuff to take, but not much on where to go or where to do the research!

A few thoughts that might get you started:

1. Have you read all the "treks" and "places" on ExplorOz?

2. Get on to the web sites of the Queensland and NSW National Parks, the major tourist areas like Broken Hill, Birdsville, Corner Country etc. Ring them up if you need more info though you can usually get all the good stuff when you get there.

2. In the time you have and the very sound aim to spend quality time in places rather than scream through many places and go long distances, I'd suggest that you look at south west Queensland including Birdsville and Currawinya NP as well as the towns like Cunnamulla etc, "Corner Country" (around Cameron's Corner, including Innaminka, Coongie Lakes, Dig Tree, Cameron's Corner, Sturt National Park), and western NSW (Tibooburra, Broken Hill, Mootawingie National Park, Menindee and maybe Bourke. That would put you on track to get to Oberon as part of that loop.

3. Personally I would not try to tie your daughter to routine school work. I have seen a lot of families on the road whose teachers have just suggested the kids work on a big trip diary. Do a page every day or two, put in photos, maps and anything else she collects. And if she writes up what she sees, she will be doing English, spelling, geography and history, and keeping track of kilometres will take care of the arithmetic. She can get the ideas from info centres, interpretive boards everywhere, and especially in National Parks (eg the Kinchega wool shed, the homestead in Sturt NP etc etc etc)

Mate you are going to have a ball - and half the fun is planning where to go and where to camp and what to not see because you can only do so much.

You have got plenty of gear, big green signs even on outback roads will look after the navigation, and just make sure you have some decent maps and a good supply of water, never pass a fuel stop without filling up (once off the blacktop) and drive slower than you think safe and all will go well.

Enjoy the planning and the trip will be a hoot. Have a great time!

Max
AnswerID: 279586

Follow Up By: Member - greg S (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 22:35

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 22:35
Hi Max,

Thanks for the reply and all the info you have given us, greatly appreciated.
You have mentioned some places I have not thought of. Looks like it will back to the books and Internet to see what's about.

Cheers Greg

FollowupID: 543803

Sponsored Links