ThreadID: 56506 Views:2217 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'day Everyone,

We are heading off to Tassie on a camping Holiday very shortly,

Intend on visiting ;Strahan
NE NP- Mt William area
Freycinet NP
and the Lakes area

Does anyone know of some nice camping spots that are out of the way in these location, especialy in the lakes or river areas. Looking forward to catching a trout the more remote the better.

Thanks in advance

Beemer
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Signman - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 15:23

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 15:23
Just under the Northern cliffs at the Cape Tourville lighthouse. A lovely place called Bluestone Bay. April a couple of years ago there were seals, penguins, sea eagles & the wallabys helping with breakfast.
A roughish track about 4 k to get into it.
As you're coming back down the hill from the lighthouse about 500m the track off to the right.
View from the lighthouse over Wineglass Bay is excellent.

AnswerID: 297787

Follow Up By: Member -Signman - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 15:43

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 15:43
And another one...
National Park- just West of Westerway, on the road out to see the Giants of the Styx Forest..

FollowupID: 563833

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 15:27

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 15:27
For Strahan - there a couple on the coast, the Macquarie Heads camp ground has dunnies, water supply and a small charge.

Around the lakes there 20 or so. Get yourself a copy of Camps Australia Wide and a copy of the camping book on Tassie to get the lot (available from the book shop on this forum.) Punphouse Bay Campground on Arthurs Lake has a nice one which has dunnies and hot shower. I have not stayed at any of the others.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 297788

Reply By: Baz & Pud (Tassie) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 17:55

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 17:55
Beemer
If going to Mt William/Freycinet NP u will need Parks Pass, can be purchased for short term stays. At Mt William camp at Stumpys Bay, take wood in, long drops no water, Policemans Point grassy ares no facilites, further south Bay of Fires a must, try North Cosey Corner has long drops no water, in the St Helens area varioys sites at Humbug Point. As driving south Dianas Basin, Scamander Forest Reserve ( Im not a fishing person but apparently good here) Chain of Lagoons, there is farm camping at a property called the Douglas River, drive up to house and get key, small charge to cover insurance, at the DR you are approx 12.5 ks north of Bicheno and hours drive from Freycinet NP.
Enjoy Tassie, but bring warm clothing evenings starting to cool off.

Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 297814

Follow Up By: Baz & Pud (Tassie) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 19:41

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 19:41
Forgot to mention.
If going into Stumpy Bay, come back to Gladstone and head out past Rushy Lagoon to Petal Point near Cape Portland, that close to the north east tip of Tas it doesn't matter, excellent camping as long as no north west wind blowing, you will be on the shore of Bass Straight.

Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 563896

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 22:45

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 22:45
The parks pass mentioned by Bazz can be purchased in the tourist info shop on the ferry on the way over.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 563951

Reply By: madfisher - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 22:16

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 22:16
I think the high country lakes will be getting very cold for a big ilander by now. We where their in feb and their was snow above 700m.
I also think the trout fishing season will shortly close , although some lakes are open all year. When you get your fishing lic on the Spirit you should get a list of waters that are open all year. I know great lake and Barrington are open.
Good luck and tight lines Pete
AnswerID: 297894

Reply By: Beemer - Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 19:11

Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 19:11
Thanks Everyone,

We are getting excited and hopefully the more remote the better. Not concerned about the cold or snow. Just looking for to relaxing. Any other ideas will be most welcome

Beemer
AnswerID: 298020

Sponsored Links