Around the western half of Oz.

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 17:10
ThreadID: 56778 Views:2215 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Help...

Heading of for five/six months next April/may and trying to decide if I go via the centre, Kakadu, Kimberly's, then down the west coast and across the bottom OR go the other way around. Thought the weather might be better the other way.

Anyone have any ideas. I know I am planning a little early but we are a bit excited.

We will be in a LC 200 with an off-road camper (oh yeah and three kids 8, 5, 3).
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 18:46

Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 18:46
Greg,

You dont say where your starting point is, but assuming that you are starting in the south, going up the centre slowly looks a good option. By the time you do through the centre slowly, taking in the Flinders, painted desert, Uluru, Old Andado track etc, you would reach Kakdau and the Kimberleys quite early in the dry season, thus seeing those areas at their best. You could then move south through WA, following the spring wildflowers, and enjoying the weather warming up as you move south.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 299329

Follow Up By: Member - Greg O (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 19:10

Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 19:10
Hi Val,

Leaving from Sydney.
FollowupID: 565527

Follow Up By: Mainey (wa) - Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 01:09

Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 01:09
Greg,
as Val has posted...
go with the good weather in the Kimberleys and kakadu, not wet season and the warmer summer season in the south of the state later in the trip.

Mainey . . .
FollowupID: 565555

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 18:50

Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 18:50
I reckon if you aim to hit the top end after the wet and most things ave reopened and the graders have done their stuff.
would be ideal which is approx end of aprl to mid may depending on how big the wet was. Everythng is still flowing, roads are smooth and it isnt the busiest time
AnswerID: 299331

Sponsored Links