Tassie - OFF ROAD Touring/camping/fishing

Submitted: Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 11:05
ThreadID: 6497 Views:2531 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys and gals,

My Wife and I are off to Tassie in early December for 3 weeks for some OFF ROAD Touting, camping & fishing. Is there a publication out there that will help me plan my trip?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers
See you on our travels

H,K & A
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tim - Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 15:12

Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 15:12
dunno! but as an ex tasmanian heres some hints

arthur river and pieman river areas are always worth a visit along with anywhere in the central highlands (western lakes if youre a fly fisherpeople) tamar valley for grape juice - midlands for history (rural etc) most will advise to stay on the east coast which is pretty and normally warmer however the west coast is rugged and all you have to do is blink and youre on a 4wd adventure - if youve got any specific areas of interest pls feel free to e-mail me and ill give you the good oil as i know it! hope u all have a fantastic time - tim
AnswerID: 27444

Reply By: Andrew(WA) - Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 15:50

Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 15:50
Try this

http://www.discovertasmania.com.au/home/index.cfm

I'm going to Tassie for two weeks in October. Can't wait.

cheers
AnswerID: 27448

Reply By: jonny knowalittlebit - Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 17:52

Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 17:52
you carnt go past mt wellington (i think) it right in hobart all tar but its about 4 mile above sea level great views if you do go there on your way down picture this me and 4 mates all on mountain bike (got a lift up) at break neck speeds. Ill never do it again.
Sailed past port aurther looked real old and really pretty.
hope this helps a real nice place me and my girly are going to do a trip down there once the ferry starts from sydney to hobart.
AnswerID: 27464

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 23:54

Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 23:54
Chased my son down the mountain a couple of years ago. It started to get dark half way down. I couldn't catch him in the hiace van I was driving. Crazy.. so are you guys. "GIRLY" !!!! Say that around a modern woman. You would end up girly. cheers Royce www.funshow.com.au
FollowupID: 18945

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 19:36

Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 19:36
Dolfn how was your trip to the cape well I think you went up there . And now your of to Tassie lucky bugger.
All the best
EricCape York Connections
AnswerID: 27484

Follow Up By: Member - dolfn - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 10:49

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 10:49
Had a ball thanks Eric, got back a month ago and itching to get on the road again. Planning the Tassie trip around a trip to see my folks for Chrissy. They live in the South of Tas.

Cheers
See you on our travels

H,K & A
FollowupID: 18967

Reply By: yockman - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 21:27

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 21:27
Hi there dolfn,
lots to see, you'll be flat out for 3 weeks. be prepared for some cool weather, especially if venturing into the highlands where snow falls all year round. West coast is good, so is east coast (mt william national park, freycinet peninsula and my favourite, Tasman peninsula). also go south of hobart to huon valley and channel.
Are you fishing fresh or saltwater? can tell you plenty about saltwater if that's your plan.
cheers,
yockman
AnswerID: 27625

Follow Up By: Member - dolfn - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 07:54

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 07:54
Thanks

Doing a bit of both actually, not taking a tinny, so will have to be land based. Any advise would be appreciated.

Cheers
See you on our travels

H,K & A
FollowupID: 19077

Follow Up By: yockman - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 22:31

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 22:31
Dolfn, starting from devonport and heading east, first good landbased fishing would probably in Tamar River for snotties, a hard fighting and tasty trevally. fresh chicken is the best bait, no sinker. Fish from the pontoons around the batman bridge area.
Mt william NP has good beach fishing for big flathead, salmon and gummies. Further down the e.coast are various rivers with some stud bream in them (ansons bay, scamander, swanport, etc) These are top fish. St helens has ok estuary fishing for garfish, salmon etc. Freycinet good for squid, f'head, salmon. Tasman peninsula has the lot, beach, rock estuary and offshore if you hop on a charter from eaglehawk neck. we have caught albacore early december some years, just depends on the current. the offshore bottom fishing is very good, scenery unbelievable but u need a good stomach.
OK round hobart but better further south around huonville for escaped atlantic salmon, some jumbos amongst them and good on the tooth. Can't help with west coast. Sorry 'bout rough typing, gotta go,
cheers,
yock
FollowupID: 19182

Reply By: rodeoowner - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 00:05

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 00:05
Checkout www.roving.com.au
AnswerID: 27674

Sponsored Links