Brisbane to Birdsville

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 08:18
ThreadID: 65448 Views:8368 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I am planning a trip in May/June to Birdsville. I will be towing an off road caravan which is used to the dirt. My proposed route is via
St George / Cunnamulla/Currawinya Nat Park/ Hungerford/ along the dog fence/up through Bullo Downs, then either straight to the corner, or down through Warri gate/then west through Olive Downs and Fort Grey to the corner/then up the bore track through Bollards Lagoon to Innaminka. I am not sure which way to go to Birdsville from there, I have been told Walkers crossing is the easiest but nothing much to see or either the Cordillo Downs road or the eastern road up past the Dig tree to Arrabury and then through Cordillo Downs/
I would like to know what you think of the route, (we have 2 weeks to get to Birdsville).
We would like to spend 1/2 nights around St George, 2/3 nights in Currawinya, 1 night at the corner (if we get there in 1 day), and 3/4 aroung Innaminka, then break the trip up to Birdsville.
Where should we camp around St George? Which is the best area in Currawinya? should we camp in Innaminka itself or out at the Cullyamurra water hole?
Finally what passes do we need around Innaminka, would like to do a day trip out to Coongie Lakes.

Sorry to be so long winded,
Thanks
Greg
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 08:30

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 08:30
Greg,

There are lots of places to camp around Innaminka, the Cullyamurra waterhole is beautiful, and another good spot is Wills gravesite, where from memeory you can camp a bit closer to the water. IMHO the most attractive and interesting place to visit while out the is Coongie, so would suggest allow 2 or 3 nights there. You can camp beside the river on the way out to Coongie or at any of the many lakeside spots. You will need a Desert Parks Pass (buy it online from this site) to go to Coongie.
Cheers,
Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 346115

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 08:45

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 08:45
There are two main camping areas at Currawinya. Both on billabongs on the river. About 30 to 40 mins drive between each. The northern one is possibly more scenic, and offers more sites, but not a lot in it. Collect wood at the river crossing just north of Hungerford.
The national parks web site has all the maps and info. When we were there a couple of years ago, the ranger would let you collect fire wood off the sides of the main road.

Innamincka has a 'town common' (it's local name, but like no other town common we know) which used to be $5.00 a night, and no desert pass required. To camp at other places around Innamincka you need a South Australian desert parks pass.

Sounds like a good trip, happy travelling.
AnswerID: 346119

Follow Up By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 16:16

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 16:16
Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found

A picture is worth a thousand words, have a few thousand :o)

Wish you a good tip, sounds great.
FollowupID: 614158

Reply By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 08:49

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 08:49
greg.

As I understand it, travel along the dog fence is still not allowed.
A night camped at the corner is fun.
Cullyamurra water holes is very pleasant.
Cordillo Downs road is mostly gibber. May be hard on the van.

regards
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 346120

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 08:59

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 08:59
For camps around St George for only 1-2 nights I would spend the first night at Nindigully, there is free camping behind the pub on the banks of the Moonie River, the pub also has free showers and toilets.
The second night I would spend at the camp site alongside the artesion bore at Rosehill. You could spend the arvo at Rosehill Avairy checking out the largest collection of Aust Native parrots. There is no facilities at this camp site but from memory the camping is free.
A camp site closer to St George is to turn left at the first cattle grid on the road into Beardmore Dam off the St George-Surat Road. It is approximately 13km from St George and is on the banks of the Balonne River.

I would spend at least a night at the Cullamurra waterhole an the other time at the Town Common in Innamincka.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 346124

Reply By: wendys - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 16:16

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 16:16
Track through Bulloo Downs is not nice if it rains. Area from Bulloo to Tibooburra becomes tricky very quickly when wet. Be aware - and be prepared to change plans, or have supplies to allow for rain delay. We got caught on the Bulloo track by unexpected rain and it turned into a verrrry long slide. Had we been towing the offroader would not have been able to move.
AnswerID: 346176

Reply By: Boxhead - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 22:09

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 22:09
Hi Greg,
as what Wendys said can be very sticky all the way through "Bulloo"
was there last June basically from dog fence all the way to "Bulloo" homestead only just drivable in chunks. with no chance of going around it.
once past homestead on "Tickalara" road track is basically impassable after any sort of rain for quite some time.
We research this track for quite some time watching weather reports & road closures thru various sources all saying road was open & passable before we went.
that said we got approx. 50ks west of "Bulloo" where all tracks were covered in water so we tried to make a way around having come this far, bad plan, down we went.
spent night bogged with sat phone call to "Bulloo" who came to the rescue next day.
After speaking to owner he told us that since he had owned the property he had never been able to get thru this track, that the owner of "Tickalara" had been to visit him travelling via Nockundra & Thargomindah.
A great track all the way from Hungerford but my advice is to contact "Bulloo Downs" for info & rely on no one else' comments when the time comes to do that section of track
We wer towing our Aussieswag C/T
safe travels
regards MarkImage Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 346226

Follow Up By: wendys - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 14:52

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 14:52
Mark,
you warn to rely on no-one else's comments. Too true! We were told by guy in Info Centre in Thargomindah that there was 'no way" it was going to rain. We went thargo-Bulloo-Tickalara-Warri Gate etc. The rain came down in buckets when we were about 20km west of Bulloo. Until then track was dry and we couldn't believe how quickly it changed. Glad you included pics - we were not game to stop and take any! But wheel wells were full of mud, right to the tyres, and much of rest of underneath the Defender was the same.
FollowupID: 614959

Reply By: sunland greg - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 07:31

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 07:31
Thanks to everyone that has replied. I have read some travel notes of people who tried to get to the Explorox gathering at Innaminka last year and the affect the weather had on that weekend. The whole trip is going to be weather dependant as we don't want to be rained in, in the middle of no where in the mud and slush.
What track from Innaminka to Birdsville would people suggest? would like to see the wool shed at Cordillo Downs, is there much to see going Walkers Crossing?
Thanks
Greg
AnswerID: 346271

Reply By: sunland greg - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 07:32

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 07:32
Forgot to thank those that went to the trouble of attaching photos.
Thankyou Greg
AnswerID: 346273

Reply By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 08:07

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 08:07
Greg,

I haven't been via Walker's Crossing so can't comment about that way. I have been both from Innamincka to Cordillo Downs and Innamincka via the Arrabury Road to Cordillo Downs.

We thought the better road was the Arrabury Road via the Dig Tree and you then cross over to the Cordillo Downs Road near Arrabury Station. There is some nice jump up country to travel through and the road when we were on it was in really good shape.

The Shearing Shed at Cordillo Downs is definitely worth visiting as is Cadelga Ruins and waterhole.

Enjoy your trip

Viv
AnswerID: 346276

Sponsored Links