6 month Australia Trek

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 18:09
ThreadID: 6553 Views:2316 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I am planning an adventure seeking a travel companion(s) (female(s) or male), group or another vehicle to travel with. I am planning a 6-month trek into the Outback of Australia from May 2004 beginning in Melbourne through October 2004. If you are between Melbourne, Adelaide, Alice Springs, or Perth lets correspond. I will be buying a Toyota Troopie in late December 2003, outfitting it and traveling through the Victorian and NSW Alpine region for 6 weeks with my wife. If you are interested with traveling with me during this time please respond. I plan to store it until I return in May 2004. In May I will travel for 4 months by myself throughout the Outback Deserts arriving in Melbourne traveling to Adelaide, then on to the Simpson Desert, The Outback NSW, Birdsville Track, Oodonatta Track, The Alice, Strzelecki Track, Plenty Hwy, Sandover Hwy, The Old Gunbarrel Hwy, Anne Beadell Hwy, Connie Sue & Gary Hwy as well to Rudall River and the Wapat road and returning to The Alice. I plan to travel as many of Len Beadell's Hwys as possible and any other Outback track that is open. If anyone is interested in traveling with me to get away as a companion(s) (female(s) or male ) or possibly to meet up with me to travel into the Outback Deserts to see the great Australian Outback during the Australian fall and winter 2004 please respond. If you want to tag along or meet up with me at any time with her/ his family or to be picked up on any time during travel of these tracks please respond. My wife will rejoin me for the remaining 2 months of the trip from The Alice to the Kimberies, The Pilbera and then along the Western Australian Coasts, southwestern Australia coast and then back to Melbourne. If interested please respond as soon as possible for I am looking for a 3 seater Troopy but will consider a 6 seater if needed. All I am looking for is a companion(s) (female(s) or male) to help cover her(s)/his costs (food, camp fees, and possible help with vehicle expenses (maintenance and fuel) but most of all companionship)) when my wife is not present. Expenses are going to be covered whether a companion(s) (female(s) or male) are present. Don't let the cost be your determining factor. Let your female(s) adventure be the ultimate factor. Lets correspond.

Please response. I am willing to alter my itinerary to meet with you/pickup. Lets correspond/talk if you want to see the Australian Outbact during the fall and winter of 2004 don't let your inhibitutions stop you. Let's talk.

Please respond if interested.
William Atchison
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Williewags- Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 18:58

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 18:58
William,

I notice from your text that you are from North America. What you are propsing sounds like a great adventure. Have you been to Australia before?

Perhaps if you post your email address on this forum interested parties may contact you direct. You might find that there may be travellers who may want to go part of the way with you in their own vehicles.

Cheers,

Willie

Always going somewhere
AnswerID: 27775

Follow Up By: Outnabout David (SA) - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 21:00

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 21:00
Hey Willewags or is that willywags the picture may change the name may change but old 4WD in beautifull outback will blow your cover every day.

Happy wagging!We have so little time to enjoy our land
FollowupID: 19156

Follow Up By: Williewags- Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 21:48

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 21:48
Hi David,

Yeah that Cathedral Anthill is on Tipperay Station just south of Adelaide River Township, NT on the old Stuart Highway. Must be the biggest one I've seen . I have lots of photos on file but so few of them are under 50kb.

The Cruiser is the 4by before the Nissan. It was agreat truck but it rusted out on me.

Cheers,

Willie

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 19164

Follow Up By: Member - William - Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 18:35

Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 18:35
G'day Willie,

Thanks for your response and I will take your advice and post my e-mail address. Yes, I am from North America. I have been planning this adventure for over 4 years. This will be my 6th trip to Australia. My first real adventure. I have done the tours, which started this desire to get into the real outback. My wife and I have done the Kimberley in a rental vehicle. Tours, tag alone tours and rental vehicles are just too expensive for what I want to do and the time needed to do them. I have seen the Alice on each trip, but have not ventured into the outback deserts. After reading about Len Beadell and his life’s work I decided that I wanted to see as much of the extreme Australian interior as possible in the short time I have given myself.

If anyone is interested in meeting up to tag along for a short or long distance or just possibly wants a lift from central Australia to the Western Coast or to Queensland please respond. As stated earlier I plan to travel from Melbourne beginning in May 2004 through some of the South Australian Deserts. June I hope to be into Northern Queensland (Cape York) then returning south in the interior of Queensland to Roma. July I will continue back north in outback Queensland heading for Normanton and the Gulf Treks then on to Len Beadell’s Gunbarrel Hwy. This is just some of what I plan. Eventually I will be traveling to Darwin after returning to the Alice, then onto The Kimberleys and Broome and down the coast to Perth. From Perth I will continue to the Southern Australian coast across the Nullarbor back to Adelaide and possible returning to Melbourne in late October 2004. I especially am looking for a 2nd vehicle to travel the Original Gun Barrel Hwy from Jackie Junction to Giles in early August. Two vehicles are needed for the permits.

If interested in traveling with me for a day, week or longer please respond.

My e-mail address is chspros@foxinternet.net

William Atchison
Chspros@foxinternet.net

FollowupID: 19524

Reply By: Member - Richard- Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 21:55

Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 21:55
We intend leaving Sydney for the great outdoors sometime about April 2004 for as long as it takes. We are not experienced 4x4'ers but would like to get of the beaten track. We would enjoy some company of like minded people and possible could tag along for some of your trip as company. I do not like giving my e-mail on such a public site even though everyone seems to be quite OK so I will contact Oz explor to pass it onto you.Richard and Leonie, The grey nomads.
AnswerID: 28064

Follow Up By: Member - William - Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 18:54

Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 18:54
G'day Richard,

Tanks for your response. I understand your apprehension with giving out e-mail address. I will be traveling from North America for this adventure. I will have previously purchased a vehicle that will be in storage in Melbourne. My planned arrival date is early May 2004. I can not say I am an expert in Australian outback travel but I know my way around a 4X4 and have extensive experience with such. I have been planning this adventure for over 4 years. This will be my 6th trip to Australia. My first real adventure. I have done the tours, which started this desire to get into the real outback. My wife and I have done the Kimberley in a rental vehicle. Tours, tag alone tours and rental vehicles are just too expensive for what I want to do and the time needed to do them. I have seen the Alice on each trip, but have not ventured into the outback deserts. After reading about Len Beadell and his life’s work I wish to see as much of the extreme Australian interior as possible in the short time I have given myself.

I am looking for anyone who may be interested in meeting up to tag along for a short or long distance or possibly wants a lift from central Australia to the Western Coast or to Queensland. As stated earlier I plan to travel from Melbourne beginning in May 2004 to Adelaide and on to some of the South Australian Deserts. June I hope to be into Northern Queensland (Cape York) then returning southern interior of Queensland to Roma. July I will continue back north in outback Queensland heading for Normanton and the Gulf Treks then heading south to Mt Isa, Winton and down to Birdsville and across the Simpson Desert for the 2nd time to Kulgera and on to Len Beadell’s Gunbarrel Hwy. This is just some of what I plan. I paln to travel as many of Len's highways as possible returning to the Alice. I will travel north to Cape Crawford, Roper River, and on to Kakadu and eventually arriving in Darwin. From Darwin I Plan to travel onto The Kimberleys and Broome and down the coast to Perth. From Perth I will continue to the Southern Australian coast across the Nullarbor back to Adelaide and possible returning to Melbourne in late October 2004.

If interested in traveling with me for a day, week or longer please lets correspond.

My e-mail address is chspros@foxinternet.net

William Atchison
Chspros@foxinternet.net

FollowupID: 19527

Sponsored Links